Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 8/23/2015 2:58:33 AM EDT
Doing research for a novel, and was wondering if most units stateside still rocked the M2 .50 or have been upgraded?  I don't know much about current military hardware since I left the army in 1993.  Any information would be welcome. If this is the wrong place to post, then mods can move.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:38:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Some guard units have them, might as well just say that all the Army has them.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#2]
USAF CSAR units flying HH-60G Pavehawks are using a modified version of the M2 called the GAU-18/A.  I have decent experience with it both home station and deployed.  We fired ball, ball/tracer mix, and APIT rounds through them.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Most active duty units are moving to or have moved the the M2A1 .50, No head space or timing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:38:15 PM EDT
[#4]
USCG still uses the regular M2.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#5]
What if I put one of the aircraft barrels in mine, then set up in a defense, and run a few belts through. Think I can melt the barrel using standard fire rates for the regular barrel?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:16:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I went to the NET training on the M2A1 yesterday. Our M2's have now been turned in. I can't imagine my state is very high on the priority fielding list so they must be getting out there.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:02:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I believe that there are two different "kits" to upgrade an M2 to an M2A1.  There is an FN kit and a General Dynamics kit.  They are different designs and components are not interchangeable between the two.  However, I believe M2s fitted with either kit are both known as M2A1s with no differentiation between the two, unless someone knows differently.

U.S. Ordnance also has produces an M2A2 that is different from either of the previously mentioned models, although I do not believe that U.S. forces have purchased any.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:29:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you to all that responded.  The M2A1 plays a key role in a scene I wrote in my book.  Needed to know if it was realistic for a domestic .gov force to have any in use stateside, and I went with it. Made writing easier since I didn't have to explain how to check headspace and timing to the audience.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:59:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you to all that responded.  The M2A1 plays a key role in a scene I wrote in my book.  Needed to know if it was realistic for a domestic .gov force to have any in use stateside, and I went with it. Made writing easier since I didn't have to explain how to check headspace and timing to the audience.

View Quote

Would love to know about the book. I.M. if your not wanting it out in public yet. Sounds neat
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top