Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 1/15/2014 10:48:08 AM EDT
Whoops accidentally posted a new thread, was trying to put this in the photo thread. Oh well the Mod can move it there.....

My latest build, SHTF 50 upper. I call it "Beast Mode" in honor of the Seakhawks running back .

18" barrel, overall length (with the stock collapsed) is 40.5" and it fits into my small drag bag. I reckon around 20lbs as setup. I know its crazy to put a collapsable stock an a 50BMG. Been told that a 100 times now, but I had this one lying around so I used it for now. Will upgrade to a PRS in the future.

Black Rain billet lower
Magpul UBR
DPMS palm rest grip
Battle Arms Bad switch lever
KNS anti-walk pin retainers
Atlas BT10 V8 Bipod
Bushy DMR Elite Tactical 3.5-21x50mm
Seekins 4/6 low rings

Link Posted: 1/15/2014 5:23:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice I have a similar setup 22" barrel with the seekins rings but I do believe yours are on backwards
" />
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 8:10:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I remember that gun. Great fun aren't they? I went with the Seekins low rings as you suggested and they are the perfect height. Strong rings & seem to be holding up so far.

Actually I have seen Seekins 4/6 rings installed both ways so it might be more of a preference-aesthetics thing? From a functional-physics standpoint, I was informed that the wider ring goes in front by people on Snipers-Hide forum. I don't really know so I just did it that way
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#3]
They are alot of fun to shoot I bet that 18" has some serious concussion prone!  I could be wrong about the rings I assumed they went that way. I visit the Hide too great forum!
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 4:31:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are alot of fun to shoot I bet that 18" has some serious concussion prone!  I could be wrong about the rings I assumed they went that way. I visit the Hide too great forum!
View Quote

Oh yeah, the concussion shooting prone is more pronounced than shooting a 50 with a long barrel. The discharge from the muzzle brake is only arms length away from the end of your nose and gets amplified by the ground. I usually shoot from the bench or standing. The good thing is these little 50s lend themselves so well for offhand shooting.

The chamber seems a bit tighter than the other 2 Safety Harbor guns I've shot but I think thats because its new. So far the Survivalops ammo is functioning well in this thing. i.e. no stuck brass.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Very cool, where'd you get the upper?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:57:07 AM EDT
[#6]
http://safetyharborfirearms.com/index.php/products/shf-rifles/shf-r50-detail
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:46:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Whoops accidentally posted a new thread, was trying to put this in the photo thread. Oh well the Mod can move it there.....

My latest build, SHTF 50 upper. I call it "Beast Mode" in honor of the Seakhawks running back .

18" barrel, overall length (with the stock collapsed) is 40.5" and it fits into my small drag bag. I reckon around 20lbs as setup. I know its crazy to put a collapsable stock an a 50BMG. Been told that a 100 times now, but I had this one lying around so I used it for now. Will upgrade to a PRS in the future.
View Quote

Really?  Why add a boat anchor to a light weight gun (unless you want the extra mass).  That UBR is a tough some of a bitch.  Unless you take the muzzle brake off, you will not break it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:39:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Really?  Why add a boat anchor to a light weight gun (unless you want the extra mass).  That UBR is a tough some of a bitch.  Unless you take the muzzle brake off, you will not break it.
View Quote

Didn't really think about the weight issue but the PRS is 1/2 lb more added onto a rifle that is already 20lbs. The main thing is I had the UBR laying around so in no hurry to get a PRS replacement.

I agree with you on the UBR being strong. It's rated to handle the .458 SOCOM & Beowulf .50, both of which kick dam hard! I read a destructive test comparing all the collapsable stocks on the market and the UBR was the only one to survive the torture test. For added protection I have a length of thick rubber hose installed in the gap between the end of the buffer tube and the butt of the stock, so if the latch does let go the hose will keep the stock from collapsing. I've got about 50 rounds through this thing already and the UBR seems to be holding up fine so far
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 8:22:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Like he said the SHTF50's are not very light to begin  with I trucked mine around one time for about two hours it was manageable but that's it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#10]
One place we shoot is about a one mile hike from the FS road to the shooting site. My friends Bluegrass is probably 50lbs all set up in the carry case. That's like walking a mile carrying a bag of concrete mix. The two Safety Harbors are less than half that. Not light mind you, but certainly much easier to move around than a conventional 50.

I like the PRS stock for the adjustability plus I don't ever have to worry about it collapsing and the scope taking out my eye. For now the UBR is solid enough but if I can someday score a deal on a PRS I'll probably swap the UBR out.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top