Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2002 8:54:18 AM EDT
So, what is the likelihood that this thing will suffer catastrophic failure and kill it's operator?

I've heard such bad things about Hesse, but would love to try one of these.

www.hessearms.com/HBR50%20Rifles.htm

--LS
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 9:03:17 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
So, what is the likelihood that this thing will suffer catastrophic failure and kill it's operator?

I'm jumping the gun before someone knows better posts, so I may end up looking like a fool.

I don't believe anyone can give you an accurate statement of likelihood of failure. A handful of anectdote stories do not make real statistics.

Some people don't believe in statistics but I do, and it is possible to determine failure stats with analysis of a large number of units. Its done with alot of things, which is why in the military you conviniently are told how long spare parts are supposed to last before needing changing.

That of course wont happen to the Hesse Suici.. i mean 50BMG, so I think your best bet is to find an materials engineer friend and see if he can analyse it for problems.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 9:33:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Taken from their site;

"The HBR50 will accept SOME surplus ammunition but, due to the dimensional differences inherent in surplus ammunition, not all will fit."  

Whats up with that? I thougth all .50BMG ammo would fit.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I assume the surplus thing is a canned liability disclaimer.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 4:05:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually, if a BMG has a match chamber, some surplus won't fit due to the tighter dimensional tolerances of match ammo. In short, GI guns (like the M2) are designed to basically be blasters, while this rifle (supposedly)is more of a match grade rifle and is designed to only take well finished ammo. The disclamer has nothing to do with liability issues.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 2:54:18 AM EDT
[#5]
See Winston Wolfs posts. He has one and seems to like it. Hey, maybe Hesse got lucky this time...!

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=3&t=290
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 4:15:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I have bought this one from Joeken and got an 75mm ATN scope for it. http://www.joeken.com/50mainblack.jpg
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 4:18:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I've heard such bad things about Hesse, but would love to try one of these.

www.hessearms.com/50BMG.JPG

www.hessearms.com/HBR50%20Rifles.htm

--LS

I understand the fit and finish machinework and assembly may not be as nice as a state arms gun but from a metalurgy point of view the reciever/chamber area is very similar thickness and material wise and the state test gun that was submitted for high pressure test loads handled six times the maximum amount it could see even on the high end, according to what I remember reading on the state arms site.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 9:47:24 PM EDT
[#8]
How much do the Hesse's sell for anyway ???

I've had a hot nut for a .50 for awhile now...

A .50 that looks like a deer rifle is even better yet...
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 4:25:57 PM EDT
[#9]
how about $1199 www.joeken.com/50bmg.htm
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top