Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 12/3/2013 3:39:18 PM EDT
After much debate. I settled on a serbu 50 a semi rifle.

Now need some ammo.  I will eventually just reload but need to buy some commercial to start.

How are these ammo brands

Federal
Summit
Freedom
Any others?

Looking for ball ammo to practice with.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm very pleased with Federal XM33.  Shoots fairly accurately out of my 99.  Some say it's "really hot", but I've never noticed that.  Hardly any recoil, and recoil and report are very similar to 750 AMax.  Keeps 1.5" or so at 100, and doesn't really open up at 200 or 300.  2-3" maybe at that distance.  Still waiting to try mine at "real" distances.  

I was so happy with the performance of the Federal, I bought a few hundred rounds of that.  Didn't see any reason to try another brand.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 10:24:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 6:14:41 AM EDT
[#3]
How about Singapore 50 BMG? A somewhat local shop has 80 round cans for $270- which comes to $3.37 per round.

A search shows that its boxer primed and non-corrosive, that's all the information I can find.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 6:18:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 6:34:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Perfect! Plinking ammo with reloadable cases is exactly what I need.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 7:13:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 7:49:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the responses.

I will most likely pick up 100 rounds or so to try out the gun.

I see survivalops is a decent ammo supplier.  I might try some of his loads.  

I imagine that I will be into reloading very soon.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the responses.

I will most likely pick up 100 rounds or so to try out the gun.

I see survivalops is a decent ammo supplier.  I might try some of his loads.  

I imagine that I will be into reloading very soon.
View Quote

Reloading is essential for the 50 IMO.  A certain load may be fine in one rifle and be over pressure for another. For example, I load 212 grains of WC867 with 640 grain bullets.  Others here report loading as high as 230 grains of the same powder with a similar bullet weight.  There is way too much variance from rifle to rifle to be safe in purchasing ammo from a company that doesn't know what you will shoot it in.  Then there is the concern to life and property.  That Serbu costs some coin and it would be a shame to ruin the action with over pressure rounds.  I know a guy that ran a can of surplus through his Barrett 82 and it had to go back to the factory for extensive repairs.    

I was able to get my cost down to $1.05 per API reload and $1.15 for M-33's by purchasing components in bulk.  Safety, accuracy and economy......
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:59:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Since I don't reload, have to buy from somewhere. Anyone ever use this? Ordered my upper so now doing research on plinking ammo to break it in when it gets here.
http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/Federal-Lake-City-50-BMG-660-Grain-M33-FMJ-p/xm33c.htm
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 12:39:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Since I don't reload, have to buy from somewhere. Anyone ever use this? Ordered my upper so now doing research on plinking ammo to break it in when it gets here.
http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/Federal-Lake-City-50-BMG-660-Grain-M33-FMJ-p/xm33c.htm
View Quote

Best place I've seen consistently at  a low price to get the Federal XM33 is from palmetto state armory, it is currently out of stock, but goes in and out at around $26.99 you pay for shipping and 29.99 free shipping per 10 rounds. Just check on a regular basis, I usually pick up 100 round case at a time. Look for group buys as well, I got 600 AP and Ball reloads a couple of months ago for ~$2.00/rd after shipping in ammo cans.

http://www.freedommunitions.com/category-s/1855.htm

I've also purchased from freedom munitions and it all shot fine, but prices went up and compared to new federal from palmetto it isn't worth it. I do like that I got plenty of the slip cases for storage by buying their ammo though.
http://www.freedommunitions.com/category-s/1855.htm

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Better reconsider the use of Fed. American Eagle ammo.  It is for machine guns not bolt guns.  I'm pretty sure you shouldn't even use it is a semi.  If you ordered from Safety Harbor, contact them and get it straight from them if you doubt me.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 1:44:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the replies. Have seen some sites sell reloads. Are they safe? If the add doesn't show in a belt, safe to use? Don't want trace or armor, just ball until I get my feet wet.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 2:15:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Better reconsider the use of Fed. American Eagle ammo.  It is for machine guns not bolt guns.  I'm pretty sure you shouldn't even use it is a semi.  If you ordered from Safety Harbor, contact them and get it straight from them if you doubt me.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have had zero problems running the American Eagle thru my AR50 or Barrett 82A1.Good plinking ammo (and good brass) and does not seem to be any higher pressure than anything else.No offense.

I've had good luck with Freedom Munitions as well,and have never used Survival Ops but it gets good reviews.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:59:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have had zero problems running the American Eagle thru my AR50 or Barrett 82A1.Good plinking ammo (and good brass) and does not seem to be any higher pressure than anything else.No offense.
View Quote

It didn't work in my Safety Harbor R-50, then again, nothing else did either.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Must be the ammo.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I think not.  My reloads of various powder charges, Fed American Eagle and PMC Bronze would not extract.  However....that same ammo....all of it, shot and extracted out of my AR-50.  Would you like to explain to me just how I had an ammo problem?  I'm getting tired of peeps here trying to run cover for Safety Harbor Firearms by telling me I had an ammo problem...were you there?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I think not.  My reloads of various powder charges, Fed American Eagle and PMC Bronze would not extract.  However....that same ammo....all of it, shot and extracted out of my AR-50.  Would you like to explain to me just how I had an ammo problem?  I'm getting tired of peeps here trying to run cover for Safety Harbor Firearms by telling me I had an ammo problem...were you there?
View Quote
I was being sarcastic.  You commented how the ammo didn't work, but that it was your gun's fault, basically.  You might as well have not posted.  I mean no offense, really, it just struck me really funny.

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:17:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Ironically, I have short stroking problems with Fed xm33 in my serbu 50a. Shoots fine with PMC.

Don't think it's "hot" at all.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top