Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2011 10:28:51 AM EDT
I've decided I want one of these, but every time I think I've made up my mind, someone presents an argument for another brand/model.  Looking to spend around 2,000 or less give or take. I started looking at BOHICA, then that led to Safety Harbor with the 5 round magazine. However, reviews of the Safety Harbor site a lack of accuracy and problems with keeping the magazine in.  This will be a range toy that gets shot a few times a year. I won't be competing or "depending on it to save my life".  Number one thing I'm looking for is NO KABOOMS!  Other considerations are accuracy and still tempted by some with magazines (though single shot would be OK if a lot more accurate or safer).

Here's what I've been looking at:

BOHICA
Safety Harbor SHTF 50
Ferret 50
Tactilite T1 and T2

Which would you choose of these and why?
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Why no ALS?  I had a great experience with my ALS, it was well made and quite accurate!
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't really vote.

I have both the Bohica and the Ferret50.  I've got a thread on the Ferret50 here where I talk about it, Bohica, and the LAR Grizzly (I have all three).

If you are looking for cheap but decent quality then the Bohica wins.  I have no problems with mine and consider it a good value for the money.  I really like the Ferret50, but at least some of that is because I got a left handed model and I am much more comfortable shooting a left hand bolt rifle.  I do think the Ferrt50 is worth the money as well, but it is a different class than the Bohica.  If you have the money and the money isn't that much of an issue then the Ferret50 wins.  But you are also going to have to get a used one to get it for $2k or less since new they are about $2200 when you add shipping.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 2:24:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Bohica 30 or 36" standard upper.

I have the 24" and although it is light enough for me to shoulder-fire unsupported, it's not easy, and not practical at all.  So IMHO you might as well get that extra velocity for long range shooting, and fire it from a supported position.  I have pushed my 24" beyond 1000yd and it does OK, but I tend to think that a longer tube would not only give me a 200-400fps boost, but would also cause more consistant burning of the slow .50bmg powder.  Even so, my 24" shoots sub-MOA with Amax's, H50bmg, and new CBC brass.

All that said, the Bohica is the only .50bmg upper that I've shot, so I don't have experience with other brands, but for what I want to do with it (long range shooting/plinking and pyrotechnic bullet launching) it does better than I expected it to.  Customer service with the Bohica in my experience has been great, and it's the cheapest option out there.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:46:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I chose the Safety Harbor with the magazine.  I chose it because, for the same money, I prefer a repeater over a single shot.  Also, it's rails are set up for AR15 style sights, which is how I run mine.  I have not done any serious accuracy testing.  I just shoot stuff with it, and it has been a great 'range toy'.  I have had no problems with the magazines.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#5]
2,000 isn't set in stone, just a ballpark.  Of the two magazine models (Safety Harbor or Tactilite) anyone know if the Tactilite is substantially better?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#6]
The Tactilite T2 uses Accuracy International magazines.  AI also helped with the design of the magazine catch.  The T1 and T2 come from the factory with rails.  I'm not sure if the SH does or if it's even compatible with aftermarket rails.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:44:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Tactilite T1 and would take it over the Bohica any day.
I have owned each, though my Bohica was a MK I...and my Tactilite is an early model....but the fit, finish, and the little details were much better with the Tactilite. I have heard Bohica has improved greatly since the very beginning, though, so you should probably take my opinions with a grain of salt.

For around $2,000 I'd think about saving a few more bucks and getting a State Arms or a Serbu.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:39:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why no ALS?  I had a great experience with my ALS, it was well made and quite accurate!

This..............first post BAM   first post

You need to look at these as well................"The ALS 50bmg is commonly seen in the winners circle at sanctioned 1000 yard FCSA matches"
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#9]
dirty double
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top