Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2002 1:35:24 PM EDT
......How does it shoot? Lookin' for a .50 gimme some input.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 6:23:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I got my Armalite AR50 a year ago-- it shoots very well for a production rifle. I can easily keep less than 1 MOA at all ranges. I usually can keep a 2" group at 300 yards. I have had the opportunity to shoot some at 1000 yards and while I was trying to get my scope to cooperate I did shoot a 3" 2-shot group at 1000. The rifle shoots much better than the shooter.
Of course, when shooting for groups I use VV powder, LC brass, A-Max bullets moly coated. I also shoot some fun ammo- tracers, AP, APIT and such- just be careful when shooting tracers as they can start fires.
Mark
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:13:51 AM EDT
[#2]
WW69,
Where do you live in Kali? I own a AR-50 and if your close enough... I should be taking it out on the 19th.

You'll love it if you get one, the AR-50 has the least amount of felt recoil out of all the .50's out there. You can shoot it all day long and never have a sore shoulder.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 11:18:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Does it really come with a bottle of tyenol?

Its advertised in their website. =D
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes it does, a single dose packet of tyenol.. :)
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 6:56:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Hello. I'll have mine Monday, I can't wait. I can't find out if it comes with scope bases/mounts. I'll be rolling my own for it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Minuteman,
Who did you order it from? The scope base is optional as you need to decide on which one you want, 15 or 50MOA.

The best way to decide would be, how far can you shoot it? 15 MOA will get you out to 1000 yards if the scope you have has enough MOA elevation in it. 50 MOA will get you well past 1000 yards but you won't be able to adjust it down to shoot anything at say 100-300 yards.

You will also need to get the proper height rings, if they are to low, when you adjust the cheekpiece, the bolt will hit it when you open it. Another thing to get is the bipod adaptor and bipod that Armalite sells, not the Harris, the other one they sell. They also sell a Mono-pod made by the same person that makes the bipod adaptor. I don't know if this link works anymore but you can try it www.cjb.50cal.net to see the accessories for the AR-50.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 10:06:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I took mine for a test drive on Friday. WOW, what a Rifle..Thank you AFARR,AROCK,FRANKSQUID & AMMOMAN. These guys have jumped through hoops to help me out.

Link Posted: 10/13/2002 6:06:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks 50_Shooter, my friend and FFL picked the Ar-50 up yesterday, he is at a show. Strange, he just called and he is going to pick up the Armalite 15 MOA base, 30mm rings and the Factory case for the rifle for me. I'll have to order the bipod later, funds running low. I'll be mounting the Tasco Tactical 8X40X56 on the .50. I just brought the RCBS .50 kit and have that ready to go, waiting on brass, powder, bullets and primers now. The only thing I will have to improvise on is the cleaning supplies, I've brought some .50 black powder brushes and patches. Do you have any other advice on what I've got and what else I need to do other than shoot it? Thanks.
MM419
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 10:25:53 AM EDT
[#9]
MM419,
Look up AZ Ammo www.azammo.com for a bore guide, you'll find that a one piece rod is the best for the .50. I use a Bore-Tech 60" rod, it's long enough to clear everything while cleaning. A good jag and alot of copper solvent will also help. Does your AR-50 have the old style screw for the bolt stop or do you have the new design quick release? If you have the screw and want to go with a thumbscrew (easier and faster) let me know, the guy that makes the bipod adaptor and other stuff shoots with me. He also has a thumbscrew that replaces the factory boltstop screw.

Seeing how I'm not that familiar with how this board works, if you want to see some pics of my AR-50 check out this link. http://209.234.184.99/50.html that bipod adaptor will allow you to use both M60 bipod or the clone that Armalite sells.

If you want a Bore Sighting tool for the .50, I might be able to hook you up with one also. It's German/Russian made and from what I've heard, they work pretty well.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks. I'll know for sure tomorrow which style bolt release it has. I'm going to check out your pics and a cleaning rod guide also. I'll be in touch. A BIG THANK YOU!
MM419
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 10:38:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hello. I'll have mine Monday, I can't wait. I can't find out if it comes with scope bases/mounts. I'll be rolling my own for it.

Dan,

Where are you gonna shoot that badboy?
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 10:49:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Dan,

Where are you gonna shoot that badboy?

I can shoot up to 250 yards right in my back yard through the bottom into a huge backstop. Another friend has a place where I can shoot about 800 yrds. I can only shoot behind my home when (email me and I'll tell you). Also include where you are.
Thanks guys
MM419
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#13]
While we are on the .50 subject. What do I expect as far as noise/blast out of this thing when I shoot it. I'm already expecting a kick of between 10 and 12 gauge shotgun. I hope it doesn't start me flinching again. Thanks.
MM419
KABOOM????
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#14]
MM419,
There is no kick on the AR-50, ok there is but it's so light you can shoot it all day long and never even feel it on your shoulder.

Now, when it comes to muzzle blast, make sure you warn the people sitting next to you. You might want to wear plugs AND muffs to save your hearing.

Look into joining the FCSA, www.fcsa.org as they provide alot of info in there magazine VHP. If you talk to people that get VHP, you'll learn that they will put the smack down on you if you try to borrow their copy. Good thing that they sell back issues. That and they have a large list of suppliers for .50 stuff.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 6:53:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Like said before the 50 does not kick that bad. You will flinch more from the noise than from the actual recoil. It is a lot less than a 7Rem Mag, around a .243 rifle or so. Often the rifle moves so little I can see the round hit through the scope. Be sure the benches on both sides for about 10" in each direction are clear of people and items. The reverse blast will clear table tops and people pretty easily. I broke a plastice ammo case because it was too close to the blast. If people want to watch have them stand directly behind you or at least 15-20 feet to the sides. Look at the muzzle break and you can see where the blast is going to come out- and it does.
It says in the manual but just to be clear, do not shoot any sabot loads. That is a Bozo no-no.
Armalite suggests using ear plugs AND headphones. I find my Dillon electronic hearing protectors do a good job.

Say 50-shooter, can you hook me up with the thumb screw guy? I just leave the screw slightly loose but a thumb screw would be boss.
Thanks
Mark
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 4:12:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Guess what? IT'S Here!

It's Heavy too.
MM419
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Danny,

Pardon me if I stand behind you... You do have a sweet setup,  both rifle and FARM!

Guys- Danny can shoot this puppy OUT HIS BACK DOOR!
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 10:52:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Markeagle,
E-mail him at [email protected] tell him that Shawn sent you. He should be able to get one out to you asap.

MM419,
I can't see the pic of your AR-50, can you post it again or edit your post?
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 1:09:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Hi 50_Shooter. Did you get email I just sent? I don't know why you cant see it. Check your email and write back.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Does it really come with a bottle of tyenol?

Its advertised in their website. =D

I'll probably need it too.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 4:18:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
It says in the manual but just to be clear, do not shoot any sabot loads. That is a Bozo no-no.

why can't you shoot sabot's?

ian
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 8:20:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Ian,
You cannot shoot sabot loads through a rifle with a muzzle break as the wad of the sabot might catch in the break. With the AR50 muzzle break the sabot pieces would come blasting back at 30-45 degree angle from the shooter on both side. Could be very hazardous for bystanders. It could also cause damage to the muzzle break. I suppose it could even send particles back down the muzzle and cause a serious malfuntion on the next round.
Mark
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top