Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 10/27/2009 9:34:08 AM EDT
Has anyone used this quick disconnect 50 BMG mount on an aluminum Picatinny rail?  I'm concerned that the three rotating steel locking levers might wear grooves on the underside of the aluminum integrated rail on my BA50.  I have to take my scope off of my rifle to put it in the carrying case, so the QD mount will be put on and off many times over the life of the gun.

This might be much ado about nothing, but since the main scope rail is milled into the receiver on the BA-50 and can't just be replaced, any wear will be permanent.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 10:09:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Well in a pinch I had to use my LT-104 that is meant for the AR's.  I wondered if it would be stout enough to handle the 50, but it did just fine.  No noticeable wear on the rail or anywhere else, and it held very steady despite the recoil.  I would surmise that the LT-107 would be just fine, especially with 3 locking lugs.  I understand your concern about wear on the rail from regular mounting/dismounting, but I just don't see it wearing much.  The QD lugs are very smooth, it is not like they will be sanding the aluminum every time you remove them.  You can't even tell there mine were mounted.  PS, I was using it on a BA50 as well.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 11:05:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Well in a pinch I had to use my LT-104 that is meant for the AR's.  I wondered if it would be stout enough to handle the 50, but it did just fine.  No noticeable wear on the rail or anywhere else, and it held very steady despite the recoil.  I would surmise that the LT-107 would be just fine, especially with 3 locking lugs.  I understand your concern about wear on the rail from regular mounting/dismounting, but I just don't see it wearing much.  The QD lugs are very smooth, it is not like they will be sanding the aluminum every time you remove them.  You can't even tell there mine were mounted.  PS, I was using it on a BA50 as well.

Hey thanks... that's exactly the kind of assurance I was looking for.

Link Posted: 10/27/2009 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Over at Zel Custom, we use the LT-107QD extensively.  We remove and replace them several times a week on our working pieces and prototypes.  I can't speak highly enough of the quality and we haven't noticed any particularly notable wear and tear on our 7075 aluminum rails through dozens of mountings and hundreds of rounds of fire.  I had initial sticker shock, but the high level of quality has made me come around to thinking they're a decent deal.  

Earlier in the week, American Defense Manufacturing sent us their AD-RECON-X mount (http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=8).  It offers a savings over the LaRue and seems to be good quality on visual inspection.  Their quick release is somewhat similar to the system you may have on your bicycle wheels.  They're worth checking into, at least.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 6:50:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Over at Zel Custom, we use the LT-107QD extensively.  We remove and replace them several times a week on our working pieces and prototypes.  I can't speak highly enough of the quality and we haven't noticed any particularly notable wear and tear on our 7075 aluminum rails through dozens of mountings and hundreds of rounds of fire.  I had initial sticker shock, but the high level of quality has made me come around to thinking they're a decent deal.  

Earlier in the week, American Defense Manufacturing sent us their AD-RECON-X mount (http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=8).  It offers a savings over the LaRue and seems to be good quality on visual inspection.  Their quick release is somewhat similar to the system you may have on your bicycle wheels.  They're worth checking into, at least.

I've already got the LaRue mount in my possession, so I'm beyond the sticker shock.  I was just trying to convience myself to use or return it.

The new AD-RECON-X mount looks really strange being cantilevered like that.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 9:52:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well in a pinch I had to use my LT-104 that is meant for the AR's.  I wondered if it would be stout enough to handle the 50, but it did just fine.

I emailed Larue to see if an LT-104 would be up to par on a .50 and they replied that it would handle.

I would love to use an LT-107 on my M82, but with the Barrett's 27 MOA rail combined with Larue's 30 MOA, I don't think I'll be able to do a 100 yard zero, which I would like.

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 5:05:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would love to use an LT-107 on my M82, but with the Barrett's 27 MOA rail combined with Larue's 30 MOA, I don't think I'll be able to do a 100 yard zero, which I would like.

Fortunately, my BA50 has a flat rail, so LaRue's 30 MOA should be perfect.  I know what you mean about the 100 yd zero.  I was also using my 50's scope (NightForce scope on their Unimount base w/ a 20 MOA incline) on my bolt .308 which had a 20 MOA rail on it, and I couldn't get my bullets down enough at 100 yds.  So, I got a custom flat rail made for the .308.  I want the LaRue QD so that I can use my same expensive scope on various guns to help leverage its cost.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 5:50:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm using a LT-107 on a Barret 82 and I was able to get a 200 yd zero with no problem.  Nice mount, seems to return to zero well after removal and reattachment.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:01:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well in a pinch I had to use my LT-104 that is meant for the AR's.  I wondered if it would be stout enough to handle the 50, but it did just fine.

I emailed Larue to see if an LT-104 would be up to par on a .50 and they replied that it would handle.

That is good to know.  My scope doesn't fit well in the Pelican case that came with my 50, so a detachable base is necessary.  I figured it was worth a shot, and it held steady just fine.  I even removed it and reinstalled it on the 50, and found no change in zero.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:17:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:15:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:48:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Over at Zel Custom, we use the LT-107QD extensively.  We remove and replace them several times a week on our working pieces and prototypes.  I can't speak highly enough of the quality and we haven't noticed any particularly notable wear and tear on our 7075 aluminum rails through dozens of mountings and hundreds of rounds of fire. .

[span style='font-weight: bold;']Teleblaster,

Glad you're getting good results.  

As for the unexpected sticker shock , well shucks, some of that .50 stuff ain't exactly soft on a wallet.  

[span style='font-weight: bold;']ML

Hey LaRue Tactical.... Would you care to comment on my initial query as to whether or not repeated use of the LT-107 may wear grooves on the underside of an aluminum rail.  Zel Custom was nice enough to offer their experiences, but I'd like to know if LaRue has seen or heard of any cases where wear was an issue.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:17:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>
Hey LaRue Tactical.... Would you care to comment on my initial query as to whether or not repeated use of the LT-107 may wear grooves on the underside of an aluminum rail.  Zel Custom was nice enough to offer their experiences, but I'd like to know if LaRue has seen or heard of any cases where wear was an issue.  

I can't add no more than Zel did ... they are the ones shooting their fifties.   I will say they are shipped out of here with a lube on 'em that often gets mistaken for wear ... it's a greyish anti-sieze material.

Everything is better wetter ... and follow the instructions to the letter and you'll have good results.  

Since you bring it up, every hour off a plane's engine devalues the old girl incrementally, as does every shot down the tube.

Let 'er rip and budget for ammo.

ML

Sound advice!  I'll go ahead and start using my LT-107QD.  By the way.... what brand of anti-seize lube do you recommend or does it matter?

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:22:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:45:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Any of you guys use this mount lets see some pics. I might have to try one on my Viper.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:14:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Any of you guys use this mount lets see some pics. I might have to try one on my Viper.

Heres a pic of the 30mm on a Bohica upper I have up on the EE
I have a 34mm sitting on my AR50
We have been over this before here, kinda of no brainer...cheap money really when talking 50bmg and it friggen works On/Off..On/Off..........etc.........

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heres a pic of the 30mm on a Bohica upper I have up on the EE

I have a 34mm sitting on my AR50

We have been over this before here, kinda of no brainer...cheap money really when talking 50bmg and it friggen works On/Off..On/Off..........etc.........

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2572/4065996354_07cdd8cd04_o.jpg

Damn that looks pretty good I think I may get one now to try it out.

Thanks for the pic!

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:44:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well in a pinch I had to use my LT-104 that is meant for the AR's.  I wondered if it would be stout enough to handle the 50, but it did just fine.  ...<snip>

I originally contemplated using my LT-104 for the 50 BMG and e-mailed LaRue about it. Mark said the mount would handle the fifty just fine. Before I had a chance to shoot it I discovered the LT-107 QD and never got a chance to try out the LT-104 in that role. I do wonder how much the cantilever design flexes under the extreme stresses of recoil and whether or not it is harmful to the scope.

Quoted:
I'm using a LT-107 on a Barret 82 and I was able to get a 200 yd zero with no problem.  Nice mount, seems to return to zero well after removal and reattachment.

It depends on the scope. My Nighforce has 100 MOA of elevation adjustment but with the built in slope of my Barrett 82A1 rail and the additional amount in the LaRue LT-107 QD I cannot get a dead center zero at 100 yards. It falls shy by less than 10 MOA of adjustment. Fortunately, I have the NP-R2 reticle that has 2 MOA ticks on the vertical with the top bar being the 10 MOA. That gives me the extra "adjustment" that I need to get off the very bottom of the MOA range and have a solid reference point. Shooting off the top bar is fine for me, but takes some explaining when I am letting others try out the rifle. 100 MOA is a lot of travel for a scope and it would be very easy to end up with a model that would not work with the Barrett/LaRue setup. Folks need to pay attention to the total vertical travel specification of the scope they are looking to buy/use and take the functional features of the reticle into consideration.

-Joe
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:10:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Here you go.  

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top