Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2009 8:45:50 AM EDT
Does anyone here own or shoot one of these rifles? I read an article from the American Rifleman on it and it seems like a well made piece. I just wondered if someone with actual experience with it could comment pro or con. Thanks in advance, Bill T.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:00:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I had one it wasn't all that accurate. The rifle was a beast 5ft long will not fit in a commercial case. It by-pod was nice it balances itself so you can be free of the rifle weight and concentrate on the trigger. It is a very fun rifle. It sure drew attention at the range.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 10:35:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Plenty of other good 50's available at affordable prices to settle for a Black Arrow.

I wouldn't give it a second look.

Armalite AR-50
State Arms Rebel or Shorty
Ferret50
Barrett M99
etc, etc, etc

-David
Edgewood, NM
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#3]
So am I correct if you were to choose between the EAA Black Arrow, or the Bushmaster 50, you would go with the Bushmaster?  Bill T.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:02:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So am I correct if you were to choose between the EAA Black Arrow, or the Bushmaster 50, you would go with the Bushmaster?  Bill T.

Without batting an eye.

-David
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:16:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Just Googled the rifle and they have dropped in prices a TON ... down to $4800 and that was without digging.

Haven't shot either one.  I would look real hard at the EAA rifle before I dropped my hard earned cash on it.  A rifle that was selling for over $7k starts dropping below $5k in a sellers market smells funny.  They must not be able to give them away.... or the rifles that David mentioned forced them to stop looking down their noses at people and price it with the rest of the bunch.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the comeback guys. It looks like it's going to be the Bushmaster BA-50. They are readily available, priced well, and appear to be of good design. If there is any other information on them you would care to share, I would greatly appreciate it. Do these things "go together" just like a AR-15 upper and lower? This is going to be strictly a "fun gun", and a long range paper puncher. It is a purchase I've been contemplating for some time. These things aren't getting any cheaper, and with the rotten political climate that is upon us, now is the time. I'll just be able to afford the gun for now so optics, as well as reloading equipment will have to wait until I clear this large financial hurdle.   Bill T.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:51:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for the comeback guys. It looks like it's going to be the Bushmaster BA-50. They are readily available, priced well, and appear to be of good design. If there is any other information on them you would care to share, I would greatly appreciate it. Do these things "go together" just like a AR-15 upper and lower? This is going to be strictly a "fun gun", and a long range paper puncher. It is a purchase I've been contemplating for some time. These things aren't getting any cheaper, and with the rotten political climate that is upon us, now is the time. I'll just be able to afford the gun for now so optics, as well as reloading equipment will have to wait until I clear this large financial hurdle.   Bill T.

Bill:

If you don't REALLY need a repeater, an AR-50 or Barrett 99 is more cost effective and is more fully vetted in the accuracy department.  If you decide to shoot matches, you have to single load anyway and to get maximum accuracy, you have to load to OALs that will keep you from running the ammo through the mag.

IF you really plan to shoot a lot of ball or AP ammo, fairly rapid fire then the mag-fed BA-50 is an excellent choice...but if you shoot like most of us, a singleshot is plenty fast, cheaper, and has a bit more accuracy potential.  IF you get one, get the longest barrel they offer  unless your specific application requires a short barrel.  The shorter barrel with give less velocity and make doping wind and elevation on long range shots more difficult.

Plus if you get an AR-50 or Barrett M99 32", you'll have enough money to buy a Mark 4 Leupold with the money you save...or get started with a nice reloading setup.

The cost of these rifles isn't in the gun...it's in the support equipment.  Ask me how I know.

-David
Edgewood, NM
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:56:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Well David, I hope that you can calm my nerves a little. I just ordered a Bushmaster BA-50 from Davidson's through my local dealer here in town! It's the most money I've ever spent on a rifle, so you can imagine my excitement, as well as my nervousness. The rifle should be in my hands by Friday, Monday at the latest. I can't wait! As far as optics I'll have to wait a bit until my pocketbook recovers. What would be a good, middle of the road scope for this gun, without having to take out a mortgage on my house?

I just finished scoping out a new Savage 110FCP-K in .300 Win. Mag. a while back, and I used the Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical 5-15X 40 MM, and I've had fantastic results with this scope. I have them on 2 other .308 Savages. The quality, clarity, and brightness rivals most of my Leupolds. I was wondering how it would work out on the new .50? I really like the long Picatinny Rail on the Bushy .50. It really gives you unlimited placement of your scope. Another thing is the nice adjustable buttstock. It should make for a nice comfortable weapon to shoot.

As far as factory ammo, what is a good brand, and is there any I should stay away from? Any other info is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance, Bill T.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:35:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well David, I hope that you can calm my nerves a little. I just ordered a Bushmaster BA-50 from Davidson's through my local dealer here in town! It's the most money I've ever spent on a rifle, so you can imagine my excitement, as well as my nervousness. The rifle should be in my hands by Friday, Monday at the latest. I can't wait! As far as optics I'll have to wait a bit until my pocketbook recovers. What would be a good, middle of the road scope for this gun, without having to take out a mortgage on my house?

I just finished scoping out a new Savage 110FCP-K in .300 Win. Mag. a while back, and I used the Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical 5-15X 40 MM, and I've had fantastic results with this scope. I have them on 2 other .308 Savages. The quality, clarity, and brightness rivals most of my Leupolds. I was wondering how it would work out on the new .50? I really like the long Picatinny Rail on the Bushy .50. It really gives you unlimited placement of your scope. Another thing is the nice adjustable buttstock. It should make for a nice comfortable weapon to shoot.

As far as factory ammo, what is a good brand, and is there any I should stay away from? Any other info is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance, Bill T.

Bill:

I'm sure you'll be pleased with the BA-50.  They're really slick and if you plan to shoot ball, you'll enjoy the magazine.

I load all my own ammo so I'm not a good source for factory.  I use to think the American Eagle was a good bet since it's new and made by Lake City but several guys, especially BOHICAS are having trouble with extraction.  Looks like the stuff may be made to full mil-spec on the powder charge and hence...a little too hot for bolt guns if they have any roughness in the chamber or a lack of camming surface for primary extraction built into the bolt/receiver.  You'll have to ask someone that has a BA-50 about the primary extraction...I've not played with one enough to know if the bolt cams out as it unlocks.

If you want, you can just start out reloading...get a LEE 50 BMG kit, a K&M Trimmer, K&M Primer Pocket uniformer, and get after it.  If you already reload for other cartridges, you can start loading for 50's for less than $500, not including components.

I think the most cost effective way to go on a scope is a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20 or 8.5-25.  They can be had in the $900 range, which isn't that bad when you just dropped $5K on a rifle.  If you have to go cheap, a 10x or 16x Supersniper is a serviceable option for $300.

So in short, I say Nightforce, Leupy Mk 4, or if you are broke and wanna shoot, Supersniper from www.swfa.com.

Mark 4's are pretty middle of the road in my book.  Not the best...but not super high-end either.  High end is US Optics or S&B.

And get some decent rings.  Burris Xtreme 6-screw rings work for me and are affordable at $50 a pair.  Another good choice is the Armalite 30mm 1-piece picatinny rig for about $80.  Or if you are spendy, you can always go Badger Ordnance (top notch for $150) or Nightforce rings for $150.

By the way, where are you at in Arizona?  I've got a couple 50 cal buddies there I could hook you up with to learn to load, etc.

-David
Edgewood, NM

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#10]
David,

What's the primary difference between the Mark 4 and the L-3?   Do you happen to have a link to those rings?

Thanks ... I am in the market for both as well.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:59:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the reply David. I live in Glendale, (the west side of Phoenix). I'm near the new Cardinals Football Stadium.  Bill T.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:32:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
David,

What's the primary difference between the Mark 4 and the L-3?   Do you happen to have a link to those rings?

Thanks ... I am in the market for both as well.

Burris Xtreme 30mm High Rings

I haven't a clue what an L-3 is.  Maybe you meant VX-3.  The Mark 4 has a stronger tube than VX-3.  Most VX-3s are 1-inch tubes...Mark 4's are 30mm for more elevation travel.  Mark 4's have exposed target knobs.  VX-3's may or may not have target knobs but they are the more delicate covered type.

By the time you get a VX-3 with a 30mm tube and target knobs, you have almost spent as much as a Mark 4 that is more rugged in all respects and has more usable target turrets.

I prefer Leupold TMR reticle to any of its other offerings.

-David
Edgewood, NM
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top