Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2002 10:01:22 AM EDT
Hey all, anybody have any expeience with the Hesse 50 that hit the market recently? This is almost in my budget but don't want to drop that much money for a lemon. I know the track record for Hesse on some of their other products is not too good.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 8:37:27 PM EDT
[#1]

I know the track record for Hesse on some of their other products is not too good.

I don't mean to flame you here but seriously, after making the above statement, why would you even consider a .50 by them? A poorly constructed .50 could have some pretty serious results if it blows.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Saw a .50 at their booth today...wasnt too impressed with the quality from an appearance perspective. Im sure it shoots alomost as good as any other cheapy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 2:56:24 PM EDT
[#3]
HEXXE, ya gatta be joeken.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 8:28:21 AM EDT
[#4]
The thing I want to know is, has anyone actually shot one? I know as well as anyone what kind of crap Hesse puts out with their AK and AR guns, but I'd think it would be pretty hard to F--- up a single shot bolt gun...  Too bad anyway
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#5]
You could't pay me enuf to put my face next to that stock. If the gun goes Boom you kinda go Boom too.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 1:54:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd buy one but I've got no place to shoot. The 3 clubs I belong to don't allow the BIG 50
Gerry
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I looked at the ones from Joeken and they seem to be pretty good, as they are essentially built up from Hesse 80% kits. The problem is that by the time you have them do all the work on them, you are at the same price as a AR50. You end up with a nicer looking gun, but at least you know the Armalite won't require plastic surgury after a trip to the range.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 11:51:42 AM EDT
[#9]
... Out of curiosity and the inexpensive price I bought one a few days ago.
My take:

- Machining work was excellent from a superbly and functionally perfect brake to bolt and action.
- Nice Picatinny rail
- Without serious sighting time she seems to be quite accurate even with M2 Ball
- Stock is ergonomically comfortable but a real shitty finish.

I had the stock sanded down, walnut stained and satin finished. Had all metal Parkerized and Moly coated for a more tactical appearance.

... I must say, I too was extremely reluctant on the purchase but promised to withhold judgement until I could make an objective assessment line item by line item. My recommendation? If you're in a $1100 budget range and must have a 50BMG then this needs to be a contender in your decision process. Granted, I invested another $200 in the refinishing however I do that to most all weapons I build/own.

... Heck, you could always turn around and sell it at a funshow for $1500 if you had the strength to lug the monster around!

Link Posted: 10/8/2002 11:59:43 AM EDT
[#10]
WW,

Didn't I see you mention that you were going to do a range report after firing that puppy?

--LS
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 12:43:03 PM EDT
[#11]
... I cycled only 25 rounds Saturday, mostly just to season and swab the barrel after each firing. Cannot provide a detailed range report with that few firings. She painted a 1 MOA at 150 yards with 4 of 5 last rounds shot w/o cleanings between. Upgrading the Pentax Lightseeker when I can afford.

... I even shot it offhand a couple times!
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 4:00:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the objective opinion. I may seriously consider it now that someone has taken the time and effort (and money) to actually look at and fire one. If you have any more on it, I'd like to hear it.

BTW, did you get it from Joeken or Hesse?
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
... Joeken or Hesse?

... Hesse

(they shipped the day they got my USPS MO & FFL copy)
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 5:20:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the report Wolf! Sounds like it might be a decent buy.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a HBR-50 (with every after option)on order with joeken and was wondering if you could tell me what kind of ammo you are using; manufactured? hand loaded? I have been made to believe that some ammo has trouble even fitting in the bore. Joe told me one "Dip" tried to hammer his bolt closed and then hammer it open again after firing and broke the handle. I also got one of those ATN 8-24x75 with the calibration cams. I avoided the 80mm because it's cam goes in the rings?!?
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 8:46:06 AM EDT
[#16]
a buddy of mine just got one and before he shot it he noticed that the stock is delaminating....now he's arguing with them about that.......Dick
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 4:23:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I tried talking to the guy at hesse but he seems agitated and busy, When I talked to Joe at Joeken, I saw the beautiful things they were doing with the rifle I said I'll take one with everything (except the scope)
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top