Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 6/10/2009 8:23:54 PM EDT
I have decided that I am to broke to buy any thing more expensive. I would rather spend it on ammo and reloading supplies. I was wondering what you guys think of them. I also don't know what power to go with. The lady on the phone said 10 was fine for 1000 yards. I don't think that is the best for the job however. I would like to take the rifle to the local range and shoot at at the 100-200-300 yard ranges though. Any help would be great. I think the 16x is a good middle ground but has anyone used one at 200 yards let alone 100.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 8:48:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I may not be the right person to ask because I like a 36x on a .22 at 100 yds.

Currently have the SS 20x and shoot at 100, 200 and 880 yds however most is done at 100 yds.

Don't know the exact # but quite a few people use 22x at 100 yds.

Yes the 16x will work OK but I am able to see things better with more #

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:30:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Most people say the 10x and 16x are clearer than the 20x.  20x really limits you on short range shooting unless you just interested in bench rest shooting.  I have looked through several 10x (the magnification I would buy).  I don't get where its a great value, a Bushnell 10x tactical is $173 shipped, a Super Sniper $319 + shipping, the knobs and optics are a hair better on the SS, but the Bush still has 85moa+ adjustment, target knobs, .25 clicks, lifetime warranty, for half the cost.  The "real military contract scope" scope stuff is very lame, it was for a evaluation contract which it didn't win.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 7:26:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd go 10x or 16x, leaning towards 16x for a .50 bmg.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 10:47:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a SS 20x on my AR50.  it has worked fine for me at 100 yards and beyond.    60 rounds through it so far with no scope problems.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:51:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the 16x Super Sniper on my AR50...  I normally shoot between 100 and 500 yards and it works well.  I don't think 10x would be enough magnification at the longer ranges, and 20x would be overkill at the shorter ranges so 16x seems a good compromise.  Just my opinion.

I've had people comment on how much they like the scope (especially the reticle).  Mine is on par optically with the better Bushnell and Nikon scopes I have (nothing too expensive though).

Scott
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I was in the same boat as the OP.  I basically ran out of money buying the 50 and various components and decided to go cheap on the glass.  I ordered a SS 20X and it was out of the box a total of 15 minutes.  The clarity beyond 200 yards was terrible and went right back into the box and back to SWFA.  These scopes are bargain price for a reason.  Alot of people are satisfied with them though, just not clear enough for me.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:43:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I have not gotten very good reviews from other sources . In fact I am getting better reviews on the barska 6-24-60. I did not feel they were worth a shit till I called barska and they said if it ever breaks, the most it would cost for a replacement is 25 dollars no questions asked. Any one have one of these?
Btw I am out of money after I bought the 50 so cost is very much an issue. I will buy a nightforce next year hopefully.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm out of budget also and was considering a Vortex Crossfire 4-16 or 6-24, some have said the new 30mm models are very nice (lifetime no questions asked warranty) for $209-219 or the Bushnell 10x tactical for $179.  I actually bought and mounted a CenterPoint 4-16x over the weekend ($70 walmart scope).  I had issues with the first one (returned and got another one).  That one of the better things about them, problem within 90 days just stop by walmart again, problem after then your out shipping back, but they have lifetime warranty.  If it doesn't work out I wanted one for a 22lr anyway I'll just move it there.  There was 57moa of elevation, its actually pretty decent to look through and has exposed target knobs (but not counters).  I have 44moa of up elevation to work with.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the leapers SWAT accushot 8-32X56mm on my barrett M99 and LOVE it.  Well over 750 rounds downrange with ZERO problems.  Alot of prople flame but this is my experience with it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:55:45 AM EDT
[#10]
one thing to look at on the 10x vs. the 16x is the eye relief. the 10x has 4" while the 16x has 3.75". not much different but it is closer and the farther away i can keep that scope from my eye the better. my 10x SS has given me 0 problems and the clarity is fine for me. i haven't had a chance to shoot it much past 100yds yet and i don't plan on shooting any matches with it either, so 10x should do fine for my needs.
i feel that the higher the power the harder it is to get a clear sight picture. just take a set of variable power binocs and crank up the power, you'll see what i mean. they are crystal clear on low power and get hazy on high power.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top