Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2009 11:12:27 AM EDT
Has anyone used this powder?  It would be nice to use a cheaper powder for plinking with SA ball bullets.  With the availability of h50bmg and 5010 almost non-existant there have got to be more options out there.

I've got a line on 20 lbs of this stuff and would like to purchas before the word gets out locally.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 11:18:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Has anyone used this powder?  It would be nice to use a cheaper powder for plinking with SA ball bullets.  With the availability of h50bmg and 5010 almost non-existant there have got to be more options out there.

I've got a line on 20 lbs of this stuff and would like to purchas before the word gets out locally.

Get after it.  I'm sure it'll work fine.  Pretty sure it's the commercial equivalent of WC 860 which is the standard ball powder used for 50 BMG.  It's just not quite as consitent or temperature stable as H50BMG and burns slower, If I remember the test article a year or two back in VHP.

If you just want to shoot ball bullets and this is what you can find, by all means, get some!

-David
Edgewood, NM
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 3:18:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It's more like surplus wc868 powder...
225gr of 868 with an m33 ball or m2ap bullet is a nice moderate load.
It shoots the lighter bullets much better than the heavier.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:26:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get after it.  I'm sure it'll work fine.  Pretty sure it's the commercial equivalent of WC 860 which is the standard ball powder used for 50 BMG.  It's just not quite as consitent or temperature stable as H50BMG and burns slower, If I remember the test article a year or two back in VHP.

If you just want to shoot ball bullets and this is what you can find, by all means, get some!

-David
Edgewood, NM

In VHP 2007-4 (page 67) I wrote the match report for the Alliance fall match.  In it was a small write up about the 869 powder.  It was cold out around 40 degrees and Ken was shooting 869 powder and getting 2" wide groups that were 20-25" high, lots of verticle.  He took 5 rounds and stuck them in the tail pipe of his truck and let them sit in there with the truck running in between relays and during the 10 minute sight in period in Heavy Gun Class.  Then he took them out just before the record string and shot a 5 shot group that ended up being the smallest group of the match in Heavy Gun Class, he shot the same load cold in Unlimited Class and won the BLACK FEATHER award for shooting the lowest score of the match. Ken is a very good shot, it wans't his fault for the low score, it was the cold ammo that gave him all the verticle.  It showed us all that the powder will shoot, but it is pretty temperature senaitive and shoots better warm.  
If it is a good price then buy it, just warm up your ammo before shooting.

Ed

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top