Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 10/6/2007 8:56:34 PM EDT
These are some bullets that I found on eBay made by a gentleman in Arizona. I cut one in half to see the profile and the hardness of the lead. The lead is very soft. These should do the job for those that want explosive performance on deer sized game and above.  I scratched the one on the left with my finger nail.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 12:02:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Deer?  With a 50 BMG?

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#2]
There were some pictures floating around on this site that showed a deer taken with a .50. I have no idea how the animal was approached but it obviously hit bone. The exit wound was unbelievably large. I couldn't imagine there was much quality meat left in the back half of the picture I saw. If I remember correctly the guy who posted the picture was taking a lot of flack for his choice in rifles.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:06:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Doe shot at 192 yds with a 50 BMG and a Hornady 750gr A-Max bullet.

Here is a link to the video of the shot.  Not my video. got it off the web several years ago.
Deer with a 50
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:02:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd call that tenderized.

192 yds. is just a bit too close for a 50 imo but to each his own.

I just ordered some 700 grain rebated boat-tail lead tip projos from copperhead.  I have 2 feeders at my ranch where 650 yd. and 900 yd. shots are possible.  I hope to use them this year.  After action reports will be submitted if successful...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:24:31 AM EDT
[#5]
What 50 do you have USMC?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:30:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Doe shot at 192 yds with a 50 BMG and a Hornady 750gr A-Max bullet.
www.gunco.net/gallery/data/500/doe_192yds.jpg

Here is a link to the video of the shot.  Not my video. got it off the web several years ago.
Deer with a 50

Did not have to track it far.Huh.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I shot a doe last fall with my fifty.  I used 750 grain amax bullets loaded to 2450 fps.  The first shot was 316 yds.  She ran about 75 yards in an open field and stood there looking around.  It missed hitting any bone.  The second shot at roughly the same distance hit a rib on entrance and and the bullet came apart.  I found the aluminum tip in the rib meat on the opposing side.  The exit hole was about the size of my fist.  There was not any blood shot meat like I have seen with most of the popular calibers for deer hunting.  It actually acted like all of the deer I have shot with my muzzleloader.  A big heavy bullet not moving at warp ten!  If you want to see flesh all tore up go ahead and shoot one through the front shoulders or the ass.  You will get the same results with a 7mm mag or 300 mag with an expanding bullet.  I also do not think you can transfer all of that engery because a deer is so light skinned unless you shoot them in the ass.  Make a good shot and use any caliber you want.

Just my two cents.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:09:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What 50 do you have USMC?

Barrett M99
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top