Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 4/8/2006 5:57:51 AM EDT
I'm looking for "professionals" in the building of a steel target for my AR50.  Any basic drawings/plans would be helpful.  Looking to build one to take to the Hun Farm this May in Texas for those that are familiar with it.  I've got friends that have access to steel and welding equipment.  Also, I need it to be portable (somewhat).

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#1]
At what length of range will you be shooting and how hot will the ammo be that is used on the target?  Armor piercing rounds used?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:40:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Tag.

Ive seen a design used that takes a piece off of a grater.  Id really like to get a pop up.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll be shooting at the Hun Farm so as far out as I can.  Also, I'll be using standard ball ammo.  I primarily plan on shooting the hell out of it and leave it there, so I don't need it to "survive", just last long enough for about 100 rnds.  Also able to fit in the back of my tahoe with about 5 other rifles.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:05:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I lucked up and had a buddy get me a man-hole cover from public works.  I am in the process of getting chains welded on it to go in the frame I have built.  Might not be the best, but it was cheap.....
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:02:55 AM EDT
[#6]
man hole covers are great.  I found that they just get all cratered but unless using special ammo won't break it in a bunch of pieces.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:54:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Depends on the manhole...there is new one at my club that cracked from a 223. They are nice dingers...twaaang.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:06:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Man hole covers are cast iron, not the best material for a target.  Could be brittle, cold be soft, depends how it was cast.  Should be cheap though!

I'm in the process of making one out of a worn out 36" disk blade.  Disk blades are a hardened spring steel and this one is ~5/8" thick in the middle.  I'll be setting it at the 880 yard mark so it won't get the high velocity stuff but we'll see how it holds up.  They do ding nicely. -Scott
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top