Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2006 3:57:15 PM EDT
OK,  so I got the wild hare in my azz to start reloading.   The problem is, I have almost no experience with it, I have have reloaded a handfull of shotshells at a friends house and thats about it.   What equipment will I be needing and where is a good place to buy?  Any good basic reloading info floating around on the web?  Where do I start?

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:33:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is a pretty go site I found on reloading just for the 50. In his reloading section he covers plinking ammo loading and match loading. I have reloaded with my father for many years and this WEB site changed my mind about reloading fo the 50. You need a completely new setup and the equipment is larger and so is the price. I have reloaded halfway in between his plinking and match loads for 308 but the cost for the 50 is too much for my blood.

Just my .02

Link: http://www.hevanet.com/temple/

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:30:59 PM EDT
[#2]
The new Lee 'Classic' cast iron press is getting good reviews.  It makes use of their own proprietary 1.25" dies, but the entry costs are only 1/2 of what it'd cost otherwise to get started.

Here's a review of the press:
Ring's Lee Classic Press Review

It would be best if you could find somebody near you to learn the reloading process from, but otherwise WR's 50 Reloading Page is a very good primer as mentioned above:

Reloading the 50BMG
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:40:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:44:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Spend money on a good trimmer.

Avoid the Lyman POS like the plague.   It has a slight bevel on the back side of the pilot, this causes the brass to form a burr which makes it difficult to retract the pilot/shaft from the case mouth.

The cutter of the Lyman POS also seems to be a low quality steel, after doing 550 or so cases the thing is seriously dull.

Get a Forrester or better yet, look into a Giruard even though it is expensive as hell the amount of brass you can trim and the amount of time you save is rediculous.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:51:06 PM EDT
[#5]
My Giruard works great for 50bmg.  I used a 'normal' trimmer for the first 30 or so cases and said no way.  Even though I'm not a huge reloader I bought the Giruad and am glad I did.  
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top