Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 2/26/2006 8:00:57 AM EDT
Lookin to take the leap over to the big side. I've looked through the threads, and jumped through all the manufacturer links. I don't realy want to spend what I could to buy a new car. I have my eye on the ALS 50bmg upper. I realy like the way it is more like a bolt action. Anyone have any personal experience with one of these or own one? I'm not out to compete in competition, or I would spend the lute on one suited for it. I'm just out to make some noise. Thanks.

Rob
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:00:31 PM EDT
[#1]

My ALS gun is HEAVY.   40 pounds easy, every bit of the weight of an Armalite AR50.

Accuracy wise though the ALS 50 has the edge probably.   This is the test group with a milspec chamber of all things, not bad at all.

2 things my ALS gun needs.   New trigger, either JARD or JP.   And a rubber buttpad, not that the gun recoils bad(my 300winmag is worse) but the plastic buttstock is like chinese water torture when nestled up against your shoulder.   This thing would be a total pussy cat if I get a 3 way adjustable buttplate like that on my squirrel rifle.

I really wish I got an additional action like that of an AR50 or something so I could build a full on actual 50BMG rifle.   Something made by an actual factory that is likely to be backed for the long term even if the 50BMG should be added to the NFA category.   If the 50 goes NFA only, Darran at ALS is likely to not survive for very long and if that happens I would likely have next to nobody able to service the upper.  Darran would be able to rebarrel the things but I don't think somebody like GAP would want to touch it, could be wrong though.

I'm looking very closely at the 510 DTC, wish Ronnie Barrett would chamber the M99 or Armalite would do the AR50 in that chambering, then I wouldn't even have to register it.    I don't much like the EDM or the Serbu, that would leave the BlueGrass Amory Viper which I may go that route down the road.

I haven't put any match ammo together yet.    Have shot around 100 rounds of 700grn AP which seems to do around 1.5 MOA, 800 yards on a 12x12 inch steel plate with this gun is relative plinking.

I've loaded up 450 rounds of 700grn AP for plinking purposes, maybe in about 2-3 months I'll buy a jug of H50 and some 750grn Amaxes and see if I can't really turn the thing loose.    But only gonna do that after I get some place with 1200+ yards to run it out to.   I have a 30MOA base on the rifle and enough elevation to dial to around 1400 yards, would have to double check.

I lucked out with my upper.

At the time I got it, he was running 5-6 months for building the uppers.   Now he's up to around a full year.

When I ordered my upper I called him up and asked him if he had anything lying around the shop that might be a canceled order.   He said "yep, guy passed away recently and I have this upper sitting here."     The only thing about the upper I didn't want was the stupid silver paint which was a 100 dollar option over the ordinary build, but I wasn't gonna wait 5-6 months for him to build me one that was black like I wanted it.    I wanted a mil spec chamber to be able to feed it whatever I wanted and everything else was spot on as well.

Think his prices also went up recently, closer to 2k for an upper now where mine was like 1850 after the paint option.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:55:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I can find no fault with my AR-50 other than the factory trigger needs upgrading, which I did right off the bat.  Three-inch groups at 500 yards with IMI TZZ M33 ball ammo with the recoil of a lightweight 243.  Yah, I'll take that.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I can find no fault with my AR-50 other than the factory trigger needs upgrading, which I did right off the bat.  Three-inch groups at 500 yards with IMI TZZ M33 ball ammo with the recoil of a lightweight 243.  Yah, I'll take that.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/BiggBore/P1300001.jpg

What trigger did you put in your AR-50? I want to change mine out but not sure what works..
Did you hace to modify anything?
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:53:51 AM EDT
[#4]
The AR-50 uses a Rem 700 type trigger group, you can swap it out for a better one that fits a Rem 700. I know someone that has a Jewell in theirs set at 2 ounces! I have a shilen in mine and it's set at 2 pounds.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:16:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The AR-50 uses a Rem 700 type trigger group, you can swap it out for a better one that fits a Rem 700. I know someone that has a Jewell in theirs set at 2 ounces! I have a shilen in mine and it's set at 2 pounds.

So any Remington 700 style trigger will fit? I have heard that it is not a drop in replacement..
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Broad pricing guidelines are HERE.  This list is old and does not reflect many of the recent changes in the industry.  You will notice that single shot BMGs are in the ~$2-5k range.

Another good price reference is in the book Boston's Gun Bible 2nd edition.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:35:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I took the plunge and went with the ALS upper. I just layed down my deposit, and in 9-12 months I will be blastin' the biggin. I spent about 45 minutes on the phone with him, and it was time well spent. WOOHOO!!

Rob
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:13:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Skeet,
I think the Jewell needs MINOR fitting, haven't heard anything else. The Shilen dropped right in on my AR-50.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#9]
For the thread,  the AR50 gets my vote along with the prince50 bipod and monopod for it.

Quoted:
Skeet,
I think the Jewell needs MINOR fitting, haven't heard anything else. The Shilen dropped right in on my AR-50.

I had heard that there were safty issues with using an aftermarket 700 trigger,  not sure exactly what but it had something to due with the difference in the spring tension in the bolt of and AR50 and that of most 700's.   What is the story on this?

The factory trigger is very heavy on my AR50 but its not so bad due to the weight of the gun,  but I would love to have a 2lb trigger in it
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:26:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
For the thread,  the AR50 gets my vote along with the prince50 bipod and monopod for it.

Nothin like a good hijack huh?
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top