Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 2/16/2006 6:22:10 PM EDT
What sort of accuracy can I expect from the rifle with high quality match grade ammo? (The M82A1 rifles in general)

Is there anyone who does accuracy/tuning work on them?

Would the 1/15 Twist rate enough for 800gr bronze solids or should I not exceed 750gr?

Last thing, about a year or so ago the listed weight of the rifle was 28.5lbs and now it's listed as 33.8lbs.  What was added to the rifle that brought the weight up 5.5lbs?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:37:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Bronze solids really foul the bore quickly. We used them for accuracy testing at Barrett for a long time, but the cleanup was a pain.
The 1-15" twist isn't really condusive to accuracy with the 800g solids. You should probably stick with the 750g projectiles.

The weight difference is proabably with a loaded mag now. The rifle is basically the same, the M1913 rail is the only real difference, but not 5 lbs worth of difference.

With the recoiling barrel, 3 MOA accuracy is what you should expect. Some guns have turned out stellar accuracy, but they are few and far between.

Since you work for Serbu now .50 cal do you know if their semi will do better in the accuracy dept?

Thanks for the info .50 cal.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:27:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
With the recoiling barrel, 3 MOA accuracy is what you should expect. Some guns have turned out stellar accuracy, but they are few and far between.

So, at 1000yds one would expect 30in?  I'm having a tough time accepting that one.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:03:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:46:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Eh. It's a gun that is meant to rip up armored personnel carriers. It gets a pass onthe accuracy thing!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Eh. It's a gun that is meant to rip up armored personnel carriers. It gets a pass onthe accuracy thing!

+1.
So the BFG-A is a Direct Gas Impingement system?  No moving barrel!  Woohoo.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, at 1000yds one would expect 30in?  I'm having a tough time accepting that one.

Remember: the 82A1 was originally purchased as an anti-vehicle weapon....

Minute-of-engine-block/road-wheel/etc at 1,000 yds...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:42:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, but there are many documented instances of engaging human targets at ranges longer than that using both the M82 and the newer M107.  In my own research into this, I've seen recorded accuracy generally falling between 2 and 4 MOA.  So, the 3 MOA figure seems reasonable.  However, it makes me wonder how the US military is recording these impressive hits.  One story I read had the shooter missing with the first shot and hitting on a follow-up after adjustment (at a distance of over 1500 meters).  Must be just good luck.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, but there are many documented instances of engaging human targets at ranges longer than that using both the M82 and the newer M107.  In my own research into this, I've seen recorded accuracy generally falling between 2 and 4 MOA.  So, the 3 MOA figure seems reasonable.  However, it makes me wonder how the US military is recording these impressive hits.  One story I read had the shooter missing with the first shot and hitting on a follow-up after adjustment (at a distance of over 1500 meters).  Must be just good luck.

So much for one shot one kill eh?  This also makes one wonder just how many snipers miss their first shot's only to make the second one.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top