Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 2/16/2006 9:03:46 AM EDT
Im interested in a 50 bolt action possibly. Im trying to do the reading and research and I would like some suggestions on those of you who have them.
What is a good bolt action made by a reputable company? I know its subjective but I want one that I know was well made by a company that will be around for a while.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Im interested in a 50 bolt action possibly. Im trying to do the reading and research and I would like some suggestions on those of you who have them.
What is a good bolt action made by a reputable company? I know its subjective but I want one that I know was well made by a company that will be around for a while.

Armalite AR50 with a prince50 bipod and monopod.  excelent as long as you can carry a heavy load.  pussy cat to shoot and is a very high quality gun that wont bankrupt you.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:01:53 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Armalite AR50 with a prince50 bipod and monopod.  excelent as long as you can carry a heavy load.  pussy cat to shoot and is a very high quality gun that wont bankrupt you.

+1

There are many other excellent ones out there. But the AR-50 is extremely accurate, excellent to shoot, low recoil, quality made, and won't bankrupt you. It is a great choice if you plan on doing bench shooting, and not planning on lugging it thru fields to take it hunting.

And definately get the Prince50 bi-pod and mono-pod. When you get a case get a hard case (Guardforce has one that fits the AR-50 perfectly. Soft cases will rip with this rifle. And scope selection is a subject unto itself!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:21:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I have to agree with everyone so far, the AR50 is accurate and sweet to shoot, here's a pic of mine, just waiting for my glass
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:05:08 PM EDT
[#4]
While we're posting pictures...

Obviously you know which one I vote for
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
. And scope selection is a subject unto itself!

I have a NightForce  nxs 5.5-22x56 with the np-r2 recticle,  best scope and recticle on the market IMO
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have to agree with everyone so far, the AR50 is accurate and sweet to shoot, here's a pic of mine, just waiting for my glass
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=44508

How do you know if it is accurate if you don't even have a scope on it yet???

Also consider the Ferret 50 and the ALS uppers.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=44508

How do you know if it is accurate if you don't even have a scope on it yet???

Also consider the Ferret 50 and the ALS uppers.

haha,  good question.   I will say this though,  mine fits me like a glove.  The prince monopod is priceless.  And nightforce is the shit.  heavy heavy heavy, but I love this gun., esp since its so easy to shoot accurately.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:11:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I had borrowed an Armalite one piece mount and a Super Sniper 20X from the owner of the LGS where I bought the rifle. he took it off his Barrett M82A1, pays to do all your buissness with the  same guy for over 20yrs.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:42:53 AM EDT
[#9]
ALS has a 9months to a year wait.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:03:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I recently had the opportunity to shoot 3 bolt action BMG's (well, 2 TRUE bolts, and a shell holder..), with 3 diferent types of ammo. I shot at 200 yards for the range work, and various ranges in the field kiling rockchucks.

The guns were a State Arms Rebel (full length bbl, wood stock), an AR50, and a Serbu BFG-50.

The full results will be a segment in our next video, www.dogbegoneandbeyond.com

But in a nutshell, they ranked like this:

Accuracy:
Best- State Arms********Worst- AR50

Trigger:
Best- State Arms********Worst- AR50 (though the Serbu was not better by very much at all...)

Function:
All guns functioned well, with 2 failures to fire coming from the Serbu.

We ranked a few more categories, but that's the gist of it.

Bottom line should be determined by your intended use. Of all the test guns, I chose to keep the Serbu. This was 90% determined by the fact that at 22#, it makes the most sense of the 3 for field use.
If I had intended this to be strictly a bench gun, the State Arms would have gotten the nod hands down.

Of course, there are other great choices out there from AMAC, Barrett, et al. But I have no hands on experience with them.

Hope this helps

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:10:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm in the same boat - i have one more rifle to buy before I have all the guns I need.  yeah, right.

Anyhow, I've been looking at the Safety Harbor Firearms .50 cal upper.  The price is right, and I like the idea of the fact that I'd only be buying a barrelled upper - not a numbered receiver.  Any thoughts, especially based on personal experience, would be appreciated.

flcracker
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:46:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I thing the State Arms Rebel is great! I recomend it to all.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:41:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a State Arms Shorty and it is a great gun.

Someone is selling an older model Rebel on gunbroker for cheap right now.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:27:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Wolfpack, you can get the prince bipod & monopod direct from Darin @ [email protected], he'll set you up, that's where I got mine. the Armalite soft case is a bagmaster, I'm still trying to find one.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#16]
A recoil pad to try for your A2 buttstock would be a precut limbsaver for a ruger M77 wood stock.  I put one on my ultralite 50.  You have to get smaller head screws to fit the buttstock.  It matches up pretty close.  Maybe a 1/16 off at the bottom of the pad but sure beats the hell out of that hard plastic.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top