Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2006 8:48:35 AM EDT
I have an ultralight BMG upper with a 24" barrel.  I reload API rounds stricktly following published load data with 5010 and H50BMG powder.  My rounds are communig out of the muzzel at ~2,500 fps, remarkalbly less than the ~3,000 expected from a 36" or 45" test barrel.  Has anybody expiremented with loading powders other than the above industry standards that could increase velocity out of a short barrel without making an overly hot load?  Would using a slightly faster burning powder help regain some of the velocity loss of the short barrel?

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:27:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't answer your question but I am just curious what kind of accuracy you are getting?  I ordered an Ultralite 50 with the 24 inch barrel and it should arrive tomorrow.  I have been wanting a 50 for years and finally broke down and got one.  I will start reloading 50 cal. hopefully by summer.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:13:36 AM EDT
[#2]
The accuracy is terrific.  I mostly "clover" leaf the target at 100 m.  I ding old, empty propane bottles at 450 m.  Recoil is very mild, but watch that muzzle flip.  However, again, with maximum loads I clock in right at 2500 fps with 647 grain APIs.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:11:16 AM EDT
[#3]
You could try some VV24N41 powder... it's slightly faster than H50BMG...

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/general/burnratechart.php

There's supposed to be a new powder available from Hodgdon: US869, that's getting good results, but I don't know where it places in the burn charts...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks.  I am also looking for you expirenced reloaders to chime in on my assumption that faster powders will increase velocity out of a short barrel.  Does my hypothesis have any grounds in physics?  Also, I would greatly apreciate any load data for 50 BMG loading with powders aprreciably faster than H5010 or H50BMG.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:19:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You could try some VV24N41 powder... it's slightly faster than H50BMG...

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/general/burnratechart.php

There's supposed to be a new powder available from Hodgdon: US869, that's getting good results, but I don't know where it places in the burn charts...

Its posted on the Hodgdon website. The data shows US869 uses more powder so it must be slower than H50BMG.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top