Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 11:50:11 PM EDT
Does anyone know how the brake is held on, and how the barrel is attached? The brake appears threaded, but is there loctite or is it pinned? I'd like to replace it with an Armalite brake.

Also, it appears the barrel is welded in there. Tell me it isn't so! I don't have a spanner wrench to take the forward assembly apart to inspect it closely. I'm hoping the barrel is threaded in as well.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I just read that they "heat" the barrel and brake before screwing it on. I am curious as to why you would like to replace the brake? It seems (on videos on their site.....) that the recoil has been "tamed" a bit with the brake... Do you like the UM? I have been thinking about going that direction in a 50..... Like the magazine capability and the non "bullpup" config. I'm interested in your feelings about the upper/firearm...

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#2]
as I said, I'd like to replace the brake with an Armalite break. I've shot an AR50, and the recoil was much nicer.

In general, I like the UltraMAG. The magazine feed is a huge plus. The downside is even with the heavy spring they send, my "go" rate for ammo is 11 out of 19. 8 duds out of 19 is painful.

I'm not sure what is next.

The only real complaint I have about the UM50 is that the optics rail isn't mounted to a flat part of the upper. If you want to replace it with another rail, you have to have it radiused to fit the upper. Kind of a bummer.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:47:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Speak to this guy his name is David Smith and his e-mail is  <[email protected]>

He has a Brake for 338LM and 50BMG which I hear works very good.
He posts on SnipersHide and has pictures of it on the 338 he built.
I am going to have one put on a 338 I am building somethime this year.
You could let him know Marc Weinstein---EDPMEDIC said to e-mail you.

I will look for the link to the pictures at SnipersHide and let you know

Here is the link
www.snipershide.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=000137

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#4]
A little clarification is needed here about the UltraMag 50 - Loctite is used to hold the brake tight - the thread is 1"-14. The barrel is not welded in - threaded with Loctite  used to secure the barrel.  Not sure whats the reason for the misfire rate. With the two lowers I use here for all my test firing and "plinking" both have off the shelf hammer springs. I shoot mostly remanufactured ammo from 2-3 different suppliers - hardly ever having a misfire.  Have had a couple customers install the hammer spring wrong.
Walter Keller
Safety Harbor Firearms Inc.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
A little clarification is needed here about the UltraMag 50 - Loctite is used to hold the brake tight - the thread is 1"-14. The barrel is not welded in - threaded with Loctite  used to secure the barrel.  Not sure whats the reason for the misfire rate. With the two lowers I use here for all my test firing and "plinking" both have off the shelf hammer springs. I shoot mostly remanufactured ammo from 2-3 different suppliers - hardly ever having a misfire.  Have had a couple customers install the hammer spring wrong.
Walter Keller
Safety Harbor Firearms Inc.

the ammo I'm using is WW2 AP (made in 1945, I opened the lead sealed wooden box myself). I bought some Bosnian ammo that I'll try as soon as it stops raining.

I will take out the hammer and make sure I assembled it correctly. It looked to me like there was only one way for it to go in, but I'll double check.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:25:12 PM EDT
[#6]
The reason I mention the spring is because a couple customers have installed them with the hammer spring legs under the trigger pin when they should be on top.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:07:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The reason I mention the spring is because a couple customers have installed them with the hammer spring legs under the trigger pin when they should be on top.

No, it's over the top of the trigger pin.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:51:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like this time the ammo was the culprit.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:29:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sounds like this time the ammo was the culprit.

61 year old ammo?  That would be my guess.  Even if the crate has been sealed the whole time, I seriously doubt it has been stored properly for 61 years.  I bet if you switch to current production ammo, you wouldn't have these problems.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top