Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 2:46:13 PM EDT
Not so much the Barret but any .50 cal for that matter.  Not only would it be my dream gun come true but I am trying to justify the purchase as an investment.  Do any of you guys have any wisdom or forsight that would make this an easier decision for purchase .  How possible is it that we will see a nation wide ban in the upcoming years.

Any information will be useful.  I am collaborating as much as I can for wife convincing.  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Pull the trigger on one, that's all the justification you'll need. Take the wife with you and let her shoot it also, the next trigger she pulls will be yours!

As far as a nationwide ban goes, look for it in 2009 if a Dem gets in office.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:03:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Just like a new car.....you can't justify it!  You guy buy one because you want one
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:43:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Just like a new car.....you can't justify it!  You guy buy one because you want one

I can justify it easier than a car, because a fine gun will not tank in value like a car.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Name any other gun with that kind of power and that well built for the price.....
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#5]
A grown man that has a job shouldnt have to justify a damn thing to anyone as lng as its legal and it doesnt harm anyone, if you starve your children for 3 months to afford it then you haev problems, but its only money, you cant take it when you go and if you leave it for you kids they will just blow it
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:14:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
A grown man that has a job shouldnt have to justify a damn thing to anyone as lng as its legal and it doesnt harm anyone, if you starve your children for 3 months to afford it then you haev problems, but its only money, you cant take it when you go and if you leave it for you kids they will just blow it

I dont care how much money I have, 8k bucks will always be a lot of money!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:53:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Do like I did, get you a 0% interest credit card, and pay what you can afford each month.  When the 0% ends, switch to a new card.  My brother bought a dump truck on his, paid it off in four years, and never paid any interest.

On the ban, I think of mine most definately as an investment. Not that I am going to sell it, but my 2 boys will have it after I am gone.  At least I hope if the ban comes, it will allow for that.

On thing at least, it is not going to go down in value.....
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Anything you can pick up for a couple of G's that will last your lifetime, your childrens lifetime, their kids lifetime...you get the picture... Is a "good investment" . Next time the little lady goes out to squander money on makeup, go with her and point out all the cheaper brands she could be going with.  Then you can see what their idea of financial responsibiluty is.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Just tell yourself it'll be the next NFA item that future production for sale to the civilian market is banned, like in 1986.  In ten years it'll be worth ten times as much!

Which Barrett?  The $9000 one (M82A1) or a mere $3500 bolt action one?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:01:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Do like I did, get you a 0% interest credit card, and pay what you can afford each month.

Thats how I did it. I put $600 down and the rest on a interest free 6 month card from the store I bought it from. I just shot mine today and WOW...I need some Asprin...
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:33:34 PM EDT
[#11]
My 50 came with Tylenol.....
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:48:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

UNfortunatly I am incapable of going half-ass, so it would probably be the M82A1
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Chippy.

Let me say that you are not going to shoot a Barrett or any 50 in a Semi Auto like a ar15...At least I know I can't. After shooting my 99 today trying to catch my breat and line up for another shot....Pulling a bolt back seems fine to me.

Then the other thing is if the trigger on the Semi is anything like on the 99....Hope you don't have a Woops my finger slipped before I was ready....I was going to buy the Semi but glad I started with a Bolt action. I also think and hear that accuracy is not a strong point of the Semi.

Asprin...Yea it should have came with it...my head still hurts. I am sure if it was outside it would be better. I only hope I didn't screw up the plates in my neck also. I am having some pain and cracking sounds when I tilt my head.
These things are no joke when you shoot more then two rounds. Like you would if you were trying some friends to see if you want to buy one. I like my 338LM which I could shoot all day and have the same results for more $$$$$.
I guess I will get use to  it and when I brace it with a rear bag and it is shot outside I will like it a little more.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Chippy.

Asprin...Yea it should have came with it...my head still hurts. I am sure if it was outside it would be better. I only hope I didn't screw up the plates in my neck also. I am having some pain and cracking sounds when I tilt my head.
These things are no joke when you shoot more then two rounds. Like you would if you were trying some friends to see if you want to buy one. I like my 338LM which I could shoot all day and have the same results for more $$$$$.
I guess I will get use to  it and when I brace it with a rear bag and it is shot outside I will like it a little more.

You bring up great points.  Which brings me to my other question, how bad is the recoil of a single shot?  The reduced recoil of the semi is a huge selling feature.  But an extra 5k is a downer.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:16:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I would like one , but i am to cheap to buy the ammo. Its probably fun though
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#16]
If you buy quality ammo for your 30-06, or 270, you won't really notice any difference in the price.  Most quality ammo is about $20 a box for 20 rounds. I paid $169 for 150 rounds.  Just a little more than a dollar a round for Talon.

Only problem is you have to buy in large quanities....
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:21:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I didn't have to worry about ammo costs. Barrett paid for the 100,000 rds I fired.
I kept a log from the time I started, after 12 years I had tallied up over 100k rds.

If you guys fire your .50's a bunch, you really need to come up with a cheek pad of some sort. The vibrations through the metal receivers will play havoc on your shooting cheek. After I was let go I went to a doctor and he verified bone density loss in my right cheek bone.

I ended up using a mouse pad to help deaden the vibration. The vibration will affect your hearing also. The sound isn't the only thing that will destroy your hearing.

BTW, anyone know a good workers comp lawyer?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:37:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Larry Parker got me 3.1 million dollaz.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I was just trying to figure out what type of pad to use....

The recoil if you set it up right would not be to bad. If you are going to use the bipod and no rear rest..your in for a punishing day..I am going to ste mine up the next time sand bags. Again I don't know if it was all recoil or like I said Concussion blast. Today is the first day my head didn't hurt.

I am going to try and shoot it out side a t Calverton or Brookhaven this week. Will let you know how it is then
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:24:32 PM EDT
[#20]
The recoil isn't too bad. The vibration does add up when you have your cheek on the receiver. I took my 82A1 and hot glued a plain black mouse pad to the upper receiver. Much more comfortable now.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

UNfortunatly I am incapable of going half-ass, so it would probably be the M82A1

The cool factor on the 82 is worth the difference.
I shot mine yesterday to ring in the New Year.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The cool factor on the 82 is worth the difference.
I shot mine yesterday to ring in the New Year.

Everyone seems to love the 82, at shoots everyone wants to try it out.

You are not blowing the money its still there if you want to sell the gun.I had a real hard time forking out the dough for mine but i'm really glad I did its a kick in the ass to shoot.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:51:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

If you guys fire your .50's a bunch, you really need to come up with a cheek pad of some sort. The vibrations through the metal receivers will play havoc on your shooting cheek. After I was let go I went to a doctor and he verified bone density loss in my right cheek bone.

This is in incredible point.

I've been looking for something of a cheek pad myself due to the fact that the gun gets so hot in the summer sun when it sets out between shots.  I noted on a past issue of Soldier of Fortune magazine's cover that there is a soldier firing an M82 off a Hum vee roof. He has a cheek pad on the rifle that is very similar in appearance to this item from Fulton Armory.

It just so happens I own one of these cheek pads but when I got it second hand I didn't get all three sizes, only the largest. So, I'm getting ready to experiment with something to work with it.  Thanks for the tip on the vibrations. I've heard for years the off again on again claims of retinal detachment but this is the first I've ever been exposed to information on physical problems from vibrations.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:07:57 PM EDT
[#24]
tagged
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:19:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Its not a .50 cal its a "firearm insurance plan", better safe than sorry in 2009!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:32:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes, the vibrations through the sheet metal receiver will eventually catch up with you. It is one of the reasons I was taken off the line when I worked at Barrett. When Ronnie found out how much I had shot, he said that was enough. No more trigger time for me. It kind of sucked at the time, but it was a relief. The constant shooting was taking a toll.

I probably haven;t shot 100 rds through my 82A1 since then. Since I started at Serbu, I bet I haven't shot 50 rds. The .50's are fun. But they have really wore me out. Physically.

Guys, take care of yourself when shooting these rifles. Definately do something to deaden the vibration through the metal receivers if you have your mug planted right on it. You will be happier in the long run.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top