Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2005 11:30:03 AM EDT
I am not sure of the scope I want; can anyone recommend what rings to use?
The heavy duty Badgers seem solid but was wondering if there was a strong set for less than $160.00.
Going on a Steyr HS 50.
May try the Super Sniper scope for now, not sure of the 10x or the 16x.
max range at my club is 325 yds. but will soon be 600 yds, or more.
Thanks for the advice.
Don't want junk on a $$$$ rifle but the $$$$ is going fast!
Can upgrade later, a good reason to work lots of o\t this winter.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Same dilema here.  What rings and which scope?
Was also wondering if the 10x SS would cut it or if the 16x SS would be the better choice.
Eye relief for the 10x is 4" while the 16x is 3.75".  I've heard from others to get as much eye relief as you can with the 50.  Nobody wants stitches.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:36:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I assume you'll have a Picatinny rail???
Leupold is going to market some aluminum rings in their "Mark 4" line, which is the tactical stuff.  They are listing for $123 I think.  
Leupold 30mm Mark 4 Picatinny-Style Rings Matte Medium

One thing I learned to make them hold better was to put some RED Loc-tite on the inside of the scope ring where it makes contact with the tube.  It helps it hold the scope under recoil, and you'll need all you can get with a 50 BMG.

www.leupold.com/products/tactical_products/new_products4.htm
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:11:07 AM EDT
[#3]
SWFA - Burris Xtreme Tactical-30mm Ring. p/n 420166 x- high 1 in height, 3 torx head screws on each side, picatinny rail mounts,
Priced right around $60.00. Very stout, will definetily fit the bill until badger is easier to find. You may never have to replace these. Hope this helps, db
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:23:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I had standard ARMS #22M

Then i upgraded to the LaRue .50 mount. Adds 30 MOA. I liek it alot.

Not exactly cheap though.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:02:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I had standard ARMS #22M

Then i upgraded to the LaRue .50 mount. Adds 30 MOA. I liek it alot.

Not exactly cheap though.

Pix!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:14:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's a pic of the mount itself, from the LaRue page:

and here's the rifle:
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:49:57 AM EDT
[#7]
You can never go wrong with the Badger Ordinance mounts.   If mounting a scope on a rifle where your (or someone else's) life depends on the scope being as secure as possible then Badger is the way to go.  I use the Badger base and rings on my Tactical rifle with a big US Optics SN-3 scope.  No such thing as overkill when my ass is on the line!

That being said the Burris Extreme is a heck of a deal and that is what I use on my ALS50 rifle with a Leupold 6.5-20 LR/T scope, which is afterall a "fun" gun.  I got my Burriss Extreme rings  (medium heigth) from Midway for $35 for the pair a couple months ago.

As for what heigth, it depends on the base heigth, the scope objective diamter, and what cheek weld you prefer or can live with.   Many guys go as low as possible, but some rifles (like the straight stocked AR15 based ones) need a higher mount system (base and rings) to give proper heigth for your eye.   If you are buying the rings before the rifle ask the rifle manufacture what to use.  Be sure to tell them what scope you plan to mount.  

The Super Sniper scopes are adequit for sure, but if you decide to upgrade right away you may as well buy the scope you want up front.  10X is fine out to 600 yards (1000 yards max) on larger targets, but small targets or longer ranges will leave you wanting more magnification.  A fixed 16x has a small field of view which can leave you hunting around for close range objects which are outside the field of view.  If you have to get a fixed power scope 10x is about all I can tollerate personally unless it is a benchrested rifle.

A variable in the 6-20x or similar is hard to beat, giving you the best of all worlds.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:56:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all of the informative responses.
Will go with my first choice of rings, Badger. Buy the right ones the first time.
And I should  go with a better scope, multi-power.
Thanks again all and Merry Christmas
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top