Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 12/9/2005 5:04:52 PM EDT
Ok, I know that generally speaking this forum is for questions about .50 caliber guns, ammo, etc, but I'm wired.  I want to tell everyone that I got one, but at the same time I want to keep it a secret.  It's a terrible paradox.  I spent some time with .50 BMG rifles when I was in Special Forces, but it's a whole 'nuther thing to own your own.  I can't wait to fire it, but that may have to wait until after deer season since the places that I could shoot it are all places where I or other friends hunt.  It's a Barrett model 99.  Ever since I spent some time at Barrett and held one of these things I've wanted one.  

Robert

Link Posted: 12/9/2005 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Where are you located? I shoot mine at a few ranges near Ft Campbell.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in Murfreesboro, TN, not too far from Nashville.

I'll have to work on the pics.  I've yet to be able to teach my siberian husky how to use the camera.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 GIbrat.

Let's see some pics.  

on a safety note, be careful not to smile too hard as i've heard cases of 50 shooter's faces splitting with glee...

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:07:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Congratulations!

I keep saying to myself, "Next year I'm going to get a .50 BMG." The problem is that I've been saying this for about 5 years now.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:23:36 PM EDT
[#6]
It'll probably be after Christmas before I can post any pics.  My digital camera is down and I just haven't had the time to get somebody to take some pics.

M4Madness, I've been saying for years now that I was going to get one.  My dealer found one for a good price, and given the legislation that passed in CA and the call in some quarters for the same thing to be passed at a national level I decided that I'd get it now.  I had to use the Visa card for it, but I'll be able to pay it off next month before any interest kicks in, so I don't feel too bad.

Now I just need to find a way to get it in my safe!
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:22:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
M4Madness, I've been saying for years now that I was going to get one.  My dealer found one for a good price, and given the legislation that passed in CA and the call in some quarters for the same thing to be passed at a national level I decided that I'd get it now.  I had to use the Visa card for it, but I'll be able to pay it off next month before any interest kicks in, so I don't feel too bad.

Now I just need to find a way to get it in my safe!

You'd better believe if they were close to passing some sort of national .50 ban that I'd get a loan from the bank if I had to. I'll also have to "settle" for something less expensive than a Barrett when I do get one -- probably an ArmaLite AR-50.  I've also wondered how I'd lock it up.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:28:02 PM EDT
[#8]
My model 99 is 50" long without the hard case.  Probably another 6 or 8 inches with the case, so that's about 5 feet give or take a little.  I may have to buy a 2nd safe!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#9]
WoW these Barrett99's are going like hot cakes all over the place.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:13:30 AM EDT
[#11]
My aunt  use to live in Murfreesboro before she moved up here.

I've visited a few times.   Too bad she moved, now I don't have an excuse to come shoot your gun.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My aunt  use to live in Murfreesboro before she moved up here.

I've visited a few times.   Too bad she moved, now I don't have an excuse to come shoot your gun.

Hey, if you get down this way let me know and we'll do some shooting.  I just found a range locally that will let me shoot it.  Their max distance is 200 yards, but at least I can get it sighted in and make some noise.  I wonder what a cantaloupe looks like when it's hit by a .50 BMG?  

I still need to get some pictures on here.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top