Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 9/4/2005 3:41:14 PM EDT
I have tried finding a resource that talks about the various scopes out there that will work on a 50.  What is the forums thoughts?  Suggestions?

TS
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:18:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Most expensive, U.S. Optics. Probably the best scopes in the world.

Nightforce, now probably the most prolific scopes in the .50 world, tuff as nails with great optics.

Leupold, great scopes but have been surpassed by Nightforce. Leupold Mk-IV is preferred.

There's also IOR Valdada, Horus (unproven), Schmit & Bender and Swarovski.

Tasco's have a hit and miss record in the .50 world, you just never know when they'll fail.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Right now I am using the military Leupold mil-dot.  I am used to a more traditional crosshair.  Any recommendations?

TS
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:58:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Leupold just came out with a new reticle called the Boone & Crockett, you'll need to check their website to see it. Most people that get a tactical style Leupold end up getting their Mil-dot style reticle. Premier Reticles does work on Leupolds, from boosting power to custom reticles if you're looking around for someone to do something like this.

Most of the major scope Mfg's offer different styles of reticles. In Nightforce it seems the most popular is the NP-R2, it's their version of a christmas tree type reticle. Has hold over marks for windage and elevation. They also offer a Mil-dot and ranging style reticles as well as a plex and standard thin type.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:58:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks 50!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:50:06 PM EDT
[#5]
New to 50BMG here too.  I found a pretty good deal on a Leupold Long Range Tactical 6.5-20x50 with the big Tactical knobs, side focus, 30mm tube and mil-dot reticle.  I was aching for a NightForce 5.5-22x56, but this one came allong used but unmounted at half that price.  I just have a hard time spending way over a grand on a scope that will likely only see use 3 or 4 times a year.

These newest Leupolds (VX3 and Mk4 LR/T's) have their index matched lenses and are pretty nice!  With a lifetime warrantee if I shoot this one to pieces on my 50 I will have it repaired (free) and then swap scopes with my 308 custom target rifle (which has a US Optics SN-3) if I can bare to separate the scope from that rifle.

Edited to add: No doubt the Nightforce would be superb on your 50BMG!
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top