Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 5:26:44 PM EDT
Is there a reason that no one has introduced a .50 BMG in a falling block action like the Ruger No. 1?  It seems to me that this type of action would be great for the .50 since it would reduce the length of rifle, have plenty of strength, and would allow for a reasonably quick second shot over a "shell holder" type of bolt rifle.

Or even what about a "drilling" type rifle like the African big game type rifles.  They obviously are plenty strong.

It would seem to me that engineering one of these type actions would be a relatively straight-forward operation.

And yes, I do realize that some of the most accurate rifles in the world are bolt-action.  

Any one have any ideas why this would not be a conceivably good idea?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:30:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Falling block actions are not strong enough for the .50 BMG
The block would set back against the guide rails and/or fail.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's one from a Google search:

I saw/read of another over at the .50bmg Yahoo Group sometime ago as well.
It was built by one of the posters there.  I'm afraid I've forgotten his name since.
His wasn't nearly as pretty, but it did work well.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:33:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Tony,
You're stuck in semi auto land. ;-)

Borchardt Rifle Co. in NM makes them. (505)535-2923
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Color me surprised.

Wouldn't have believed it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:38:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Falling block actions are not strong enough for the .50 BMG
The block would set back against the guide rails and/or fail.

I had thought about what you had said about the rails but isn't the internal pressure the same as just about every other high power rifle out there?  And with pressure, all sides would be a constant if I remember my physics correctly.  There should really be no more pressure on the rear of the cartridge than on the sides and if the pressure is pretty close to another high power round, then wouldn't the falling block action be strong enough.  After all, Ruger has put some pretty powerful stuff in theirs.

Essentially, the breech of a modern tank is a falling block albeit on a much larger scale.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:55:36 AM EDT
[#6]
There was a person advertising in the FCSA's mag. Very High Power, with a falling block action gun.  I believe that the place was in New Mexico, I tried to call, but gave up anyone answering the phone.  Bought an AR50 instead.  Looong time ago, State Arms (Klaus) had a falling block action in his lineup but it was $1500 more than his target gun then($4000 I think) and not to sure if he sold many, if any, but I do remember the picture of the one.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out SSK industries web sight.www.sskindustries.com JD Jones does some great work with big bores and the #1 Ruger. If it can be done he will do it, or guide you in the right direction.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top