Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2005 11:09:54 AM EDT
Every other time I speak to someone about the 50 I want (M82A1).
I am told that they are pieces of junk...that I should get a bolt action or single shot... Steyr, Armalite, Cobb, UL, Vulcan, ... Barrett accuracy sucks, etc...

What do you guys think??
Thanks, Cliff
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 12:56:48 PM EDT
[#1]
The M82A1 does have accuracy problems. The recoiling barrel isn't very condusive to accuracy at long range.
There have been some rifles that do show extremely good down range accuracy. They are rare. The barrel extension that Barrett uses in all their rifles is the heart of the problem. The barrel extension isn't the reciever, using a seperate piece of material to have the barrel screw into than the reciever doesn't help accuracy at all.
The M99 has a barrel pressed into the reciever. If you get a Barrett, get that one.

If you have to have a semi, the Serbu semi will be out soon.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#2]
For me I got a 3" group out at 1000 yards with my Barrett 82A1.

I put my suport to Ron Berrett as he seams to be the only 50BMG rifle builder that has the BALLS to stand up to the anit 50BMG jerks and puts it right in his adds. I do not see that from other 50BMG builders.
And to compair a bolt gun to a simi auto is apples and grapes. My UL-50 does out shoot my Barrett,but apples to grapes again.

As to the Serbu Semi auto it seams more MYTH then reality. I would like to see him get it out. And see how good it is. I my then even put down the cash to get one.

This is my family of 50BMGs. Barrett 82A1 and UL-50. And soon a M107(or the NEW 82A1) will join this family.

This mono Pod I added helped out my Barrett ALOT.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Get an EDM Arms M96 Windrunner instead! It breaks down into a very compact case and it is super accurate.

www.edmarms.com/products/m96.htm

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:32:26 AM EDT
[#4]
They are not as accurate as their single shot rifles, nor other single shot rifles.  Even Barrett will tell you this.  When I was at a SHOT show, the sales lady said the 82A1 was good for 2.7 MOA and the single shot (forgot which model, this was years ago) 1.5, or something along those lines.  I still got the 82A1 because I wanted to have fun.  If I wanted supreme accuracy, I would go get a nice single shot.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:33:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:00:26 AM EDT
[#6]
You really need to never take advice from the guy that sugusted the Vulcan to you.  There has been several reports as to the quality (or lack thereof) of those guns.
Later,
BRM
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:14:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I have an 82a1 ansd an AR50. Two totally separate guns.
Most people that dog the accuracy of the Barrett have never shot one, and rely on others.

Is the 82 accurate? Reasonably so. I can get 5-6" groups at 300 yds. Most hunting rifles are closer to that than their owners care to admit.

Of course, my match AR is substantially better.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:35:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Is barrett making a semi auto liek the 82A1 but under a different model designation?  (My country banned the 82A1 by model, they saw it in Robocop or soemthing {yes that is how they chose to ban firearms, that is why our firearms ban list includes a recoiless pistol that was in Total Recall that does not in actuality exist other than high priced prototypes})

If I cna find soemthing that looks similar and functions better then I will grab one, so long as it does not have anythign close to 82A1 as it's model number
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I know I have seen at least one, perhaps two other semi-auto fifties.

AI (Accuracy International) makes the AS50.  Since it's AI, it's probably hella expensive, but then again, isn't every semi-auto fifty?

Pauza Specialties P50, semi-auto .50 BMG

Perhaps others.

Of course you could always buy a semi-auto M2 (from Ohio Ordnance?).  They are surprisingly accurate, Hathcock used one in single shot to snipe at over 2300 yards if I remember correctly (which I do less and less these days).  A friend of mine uses a big ass scope on his full auto M2 and cracks clays at 300 in single shot mode.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:30:26 PM EDT
[#10]
What about a McBros Tac50?

Anyone have one, and how accurate is it?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:49:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Most dog the Barret because they cannot afford one.  They are accurate enough to do the job they are intended to do but they are not match rifles.  Three inch groups at 1000 yards, maybe once, but it was a fluke, best 5 shots on a target of 50 shots, or BS. A three inch 5 shot group out of a semi-auto at 1000 yards is 4 times smaller than what is current on the FCSA record books (link).  The world record for 1000 yard group of 5 shots is about 2.6 inches and that out of a 50 pound plus bolt action match rifle.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:34:01 PM EDT
[#13]
klm66, thanks for the post!  My M82A1 is 2-3 weeks away, or so my dealer says.  :-)  My two cents worth, not yet being a .50 owner, but soon to be hat
If I need to hit 3" at 1000 yards, I will use my .308  If I need to "make an impression" at 1000 yards, I will use my soon to be delivered Barett M82A1, along with the hundreds of various rounds I already have for it.

So, just an aside, does a .50 incindiary round do what I think it does?  I know none of the local ranges will be happy with that round, but you know I had to but a box anyway!In any event, shoot straight, and shoot safe!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:12:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
klm66, thanks for the post!  My M82A1 is 2-3 weeks away, or so my dealer says.  :-)  My two cents worth, not yet being a .50 owner, but soon to be is that we buy weapons for specific jobs, or even niches in a collection.  Yes, I have some serious sniper rifles, (I wish I could shoot as well as the guns do) all the usual AR stuff, more 1911s than I should and a growing collection of less common and older guns.

If I need to hit 3" at 1000 yards, I will use my .308  If I need to "make an impression" at 1000 yards, I will use my soon to be delivered Barett M82A1, along with the hundreds of various rounds I already have for it.

So, just an aside, does a .50 incindiary round do what I think it does?  I know none of the local ranges will be happy with that round, but you know I had to but a box anyway!

In any event, shoot straight, and shoot safe!

.50 incindiary round if you mean the BLUE TIP one it is a wicked SOB the API is fun and the APIT is the funest.
My group I will admit was a FLUKE but I still did it even if it was just one time.
Your going to love the Barrett. Built by a man that is willing to put the middle finger to the gun grabbers and CA pigs. How many other 50 BMG builders are this UP FRONT to thies SOB's.
My UL-50 will and dose out shoot my Barrett but my Barrett dose the job it was built for.
At .9 miles it assholed a BARB-Q propane tank with a APIT on my second shot. I just wished I could shoot as good as my guns can.

Orca301 Let us know when your New toy is in your hands. Post pics of her. We all like gun smutt.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:56:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I would really like to have a Barrett M82, but it is way out of my price range.  I'm working on getting a 50BMG upper type rifle.  Accuracy better than the M82 is capable would be seldom used IMHO.  Unless you are shooting a match who cares!   I bet 95% od civilian rounds fired are less than optimally aimed and anything better than 2-3 MOA would not even be detectable under these circumstances.

To determing the true accuracy of your rifle (be it in 223 or 50BMG) you must put it in a 100% stable rest like a benchrest machine rest settin on a concrete bench and good sandbag under the butt-stock, time your breathing and heartbeat and be using ammo that has proven top accuracy (precision handload for the most part).

You are not going to see anything like the true performance of any rifle out there firing surplus or most off the shelf ammo banging away off a makeshift rest.   BUT you may well be having a lot of fun, and there is certainly nothng wrong with that!  With a semi-auto 50 like the Barrett M82 you can have one hell of a good time that is for certain!

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:12:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Is barrett making a semi auto liek the 82A1 but under a different model designation?  (My country banned the 82A1 by model, they saw it in Robocop or soemthing {yes that is how they chose to ban firearms, that is why our firearms ban list includes a recoiless pistol that was in Total Recall that does not in actuality exist other than high priced prototypes})

If I cna find soemthing that looks similar and functions better then I will grab one, so long as it does not have anythign close to 82A1 as it's model number

Barett does make M107 that is very similar to the original 82A1
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:07:52 PM EDT
[#17]
The M107 is basically the next generation of the M82A1.  I think it's just the M82A1M with a military designation.  It's what I am trying to upgrade to.

Anyone want to trade a new M82A1M/M107 for an unfired M82A1 + cash?  I'm your man.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top