Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 6/7/2005 8:00:20 PM EDT
Any body using a Lee 50 BMG reloading press?
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 9:16:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I am and I like it.
Having had the RCBS kit in the past I am very glad to have bought the Lee 50BMG kit.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 7:33:29 AM EDT
[#2]
read my review..
members.cox.net/~rjring/
hope it helps
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Is anyone using it for shells other than 50BMG? I understand it comes with an adapter to use standard dies.

308 anyone??
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes caver101  it dose come with an adapter. And yes I have loaded 308 win, and 30-06.
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 7:48:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yes caver101  it dose come with an adapter. And yes I have loaded 308 win, and 30-06.

Thanks for the info! I guess the Lee 50 is the way to go.
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 8:28:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

i have the 50bmg bullet resizeing die, i use it for that as well, but have 2 other lee presses i use for rifle and pistol..

Link Posted: 6/10/2005 11:31:20 AM EDT
[#7]
being new to military ammo reloading (but not reloading in general) I understand that the primer crimp must be cut/deburred/whatever before putting a new primer in.

does this kit have any part for this?

if not where and what can I get something to do this with?

I see tools for regular cartridges with large and small primers but nothing for 50 BMG listed as being specifically for this job.

EDIT: found this: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=3&t=184691

but not sure, will this work?
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 5:28:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
i have the 50bmg bullet resizeing die, i use it for that as well, but have 2 other lee presses i use for rifle and pistol..

Where did you find this resizing die?  I have been looking for one but haven't been able to locate anyone that sells one.

BTW, I also have the Lee 50BMG kit and it works like a champ.
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 8:16:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
being new to military ammo reloading (but not reloading in general) I understand that the primer crimp must be cut/deburred/whatever before putting a new primer in.
....quote]

Check out this excellent website for detailed .50bmg reloading information:
50BMG Reloading
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where did you find this resizing die?  I have been looking for one but haven't been able to locate anyone that sells one.

BTW, I also have the Lee 50BMG kit and it works like a champ.

lee 's "coustom" page.. then will make it from scratch a .510 for 25$ shipped

Link Posted: 6/11/2005 5:20:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I see tools for regular cartridges with large and small primers but nothing for 50 BMG listed as being specifically for this job.

all you use is the same reamer you use on the neck to debur it..

a few spinns on the primer crimp and poof.. no more crimp...
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 1:36:47 PM EDT
[#12]
thanks
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 2:14:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
read my review..
members.cox.net/~rjring/
hope it helps

Nice review I see the price is now $225. 00, did you get a special deal or something because I have been looking to buy same set up ?
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 2:23:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
read my review..
members.cox.net/~rjring/
hope it helps

Nice review I see the price is now $225. 00, did you get a special deal or something because I have been looking to buy same set up ?

nope, still $149.99

www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=845765
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 4:38:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Tom,
As far as the primer crimp goes, take a piece of brass with you down to the local hardware store and find a reamer that's big enough to do the job. Something that you can chuck up in a drill is preferrable, make sure that you only take off enough material to remove the crimps. To much and you could run into problems.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 11:59:56 AM EDT
[#17]
yup
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 1:10:21 PM EDT
[#18]
It will work but the chuck on the drill will have to have teeth long enough to grab the spud sticking out of the back. I have one (reamer) similar to that one, the chuck on my cordless won't grab it but the regular plug-in style drill I have does have a chuck that will.

Once you get the brass de-primed is when the fun begins. My regular drill is old and there's no speed control on it, so here's what I do. I hold the brass in one hand with a good grip, hold the reamer/drill back about 1/4" and then hit the button and release. As it's spinning I let it hit the brass and stop on it's own while putting easy pressure on it. Doing it this way let's it center in the brass and I can ease off so I don't remove to much material. I found that starting it in the brass it can make the reamer jump up and down over the crimps when it starts out and then you  have to work to fix that. Once you get the hang of it, it's an easy process but time consuming. That's why it's easier if you do it all at once if you have alot to do.

I think it took me about 10 minutes to do about 200 once I got a good routine down. Even some of the new brass that's out there that doesn't look like it's crimped is, they actually put an offset ring crimp on it. Either that or the primer machine that they use does that when it primes the brass, I've had to work on that stuff also. If you look at it close enough you can see how little it is and I've had it screw up primers, now if I even think it has a crimp I hit them real quick and the problem is solved.
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 8:38:09 AM EDT
[#19]
doesn't doing it this way leave a little "chamfer" or "bevel" at the primer opening?

does anyone have a pic they woulod be willing to share?
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
doesn't doing it this way leave a little "chamfer" or "bevel" at the primer opening?

does anyone have a pic they woulod be willing to share?

yes, and it wont effect anything...

ALL of my brass is this way..
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 3:16:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Big brown happy truck brought mine today!

Looking forward to eventually setting it up and getting into this...
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:57:12 PM EDT
[#22]
So tagged! Great review links, good job fellas!

Thanks!

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

all you use is the same reamer you use on the neck to debur it..

a few spinns on the primer crimp and poof.. no more crimp...

I made a primer pocket swager on my lathe that fits the lee shell holder. It runs into the shell holder used for priming the cases. Works great and removes no brass.

Rich V
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:21:08 AM EDT
[#24]
C-H makes a 50BMG primer pocket swager - Wideners CH Swager
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top