Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 5/16/2005 11:51:25 AM EDT
I have a UL50 24" upper, leupold VXIII 6.5x20x50 LR Shooting SG Tallon Ammo I am not happy in the least with the accuracy I am getting. I have now reworked the trigger, but I have not shot it yet. I have seen threads where folks get MOA out of the tallon stuff--------others are getting 7moa out of it.

If you have shot it please list which rifle it was shot with, length of range and the mfg. date of the tallon ammo (as many details as you can list).

I plan on reloading in the future, but if the UL50 is not up to the accuracy I am wanting I may need to take those funds and apply them on another rifle.

AND IF YOU WILL HELP A FELLOW BMG'er OUT:
Before I get my panties in a bunch over the UL50 would someone be willing to sell me some A-Max handloads at cost. (Only need 5 or 10) If the accuracy with the hand loads is good then I will get the reloading stuff, but if the accuracy is bad I can put the UL50 up for sale and look elsewhere.

Any advice? comments? Offers?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#1]
What is SG Tallon ammo?

I have shot Talon ammo that I bought from Ammoman a few years back, never had a problem. It grouped 12" at 1000 yards from my AR-50, which is pretty good for surplus.

You can't expect much from surplus components, the Gov. said that 2-3 MOA was acceptable. Add to that the M2 which fires into a beaten zone, as long as " X " number of bullets strike that zone the Gov. is happy. You'll need to buy some match stuff or load your own to see what your UL50 likes.

What kind of accuracy are you getting?

I would send you some but I reload and they won't fit your chamber. Plus there's only one person I trust enough to use his reloads besides myself.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I would think from the recent postings that I have read the UL50 is not the most accurate but pretty accurate.

Buy new manufactured ammo for some testing and scope tweaking, I bet your groups tighten considerably. Ammunition store has some, you can buy them buy in groups of 20 for $65 - 750 gr. Maine Cartridge, USA Hornady Match A-MAX

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:02:52 AM EDT
[#3]

What is SG Tallon ammo?

Tallon ammo from Sportsmans Guide. They have the best deal on it right now ~$180 for 150 rnds delivered to your door of M33.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 5:32:27 AM EDT
[#4]
in my 22" ul50 i had some ST's that were doung under a inch at 200 and some API that were doing 3 to 4".. this is why i bought a press and begining to load my own..
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:40:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

What is SG Tallon ammo?

Tallon ammo from Sportsmans Guide. They have the best deal on it right now ~$180 for 150 rnds delivered to your door of M33.

How did you get that price shipped to you door??
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 8:19:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Talon ball, from ammunition store.  Ive fired about 8-900 rounds over the last 18 mos and its all shot under 0.75 MOA (most cans have grouped under or at 0.5 moa) out to 1000 yards.  Im shooting an AR-50 with a stock trigger and a nightforce scope.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 9:54:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is SG Tallon ammo?

How did you get that price shipped to you door??
Thanks

The exact price is $182.?? - I posted a $10 coupon code on here some where. Just do a google  search for it and there are several that will show up on the internet.

Maybe I am not adjusted to the 50 boom/recoil yet
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 2:17:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been getting 7 MOA out of my 29" UL50 with Talon ball.  yay
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:38:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

7MOA or 7" at what range?
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#11]
7" at 100 yds

yeah

gross
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 5:57:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I think most people loose sight of the fact that Talon Ammo is surplus stuff that for some reason the US Government found unsuitable for service. Talon took this stuff, pulled it apart and put it back together. Is it any better than it was when Uncle Sam decided to get rid of it? Probably not. Don't expect to get match grade results with budget ammo.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 12:31:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Yea, I know I would not get match grade results with the tallon stuff, just thought that it would be like shooting cheap walmart ammo v/s federal gold medal match.

Are the variations in the tallon ammo due to the bullet, brass or the powder? Could it be that the powder charge is not accurate in each round?

Looks like I am going to get the 50BMG press. Any advice on a lower priced match round to start with? (whats the cost of a AR50 now )
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 2:30:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I was gonna try some match ammo from ammunitionstore.com before I buy the press.  I figure if the match ammo shoots like it should then I'm ok.  If it still groups wildly then I know the rifle has problem.

I also thought that Talon would at least be good for blasting.  I expected in the 2"-3" group range.  Not 7".  I would have to try to make ammo that bad...
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I've shot around 100 rounds of the s/g talon ammo, I'm getting about 1-2 moa at 100 yards. 7 moa at 100 seems a little excessive.  AR50
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:29:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Buy a box or two of Barrett or IMI M33 Ball ammo, if that stuff won't shoot atleast 2-2.5MOA then I'd be having to tie my eyebrow down from trying to do an impression of Spock from StarTrek.

Using surplus components you can reload for decent accuracy if you resize the bullets, sort the bullets by weight, and then weigh powder charges to the nearest 1/10th grain then down to around MOA accuracy is possible from accurate guns(so folks have told me).

I don't have a scale that can do a proper job of weighing 700grn bullets to sort the things.

I can't wait to load some match fodder for my ALS, different critter for sure.     I'd like to see what match ammo would do from the longer barreled UL50s though.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:51:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Did the can have paperwork from Talon in it?  I've seen ammo advertised as Talon that did not have anything to say it was Talon.  When I've ordered cans from Ammunition Store they have always had paperwork in the can wrapped from Talon.  Just a thought, there is a lot of crap out there that people are trying to pass off as this or that...
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:42:56 AM EDT
[#18]
No the can did not have any paperwork in it. There was a Talon sticker on the outside of the can that had the mfg. date and a few other things. If I can remeber I will get a pic of the sticker.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:54:49 AM EDT
[#19]
the big issues with the UL50 is your relying on as ass stock triger.. that alone will F up your results.. , unless you can lock the gun down in a shooting vise.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:58:06 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
the big issues with the UL50 is your relying on as ass stock triger.. that alone will F up your results.. , unless you can lock the gun down in a shooting vise.

Been working on that ass stock trigger , will post the results once I can get back to the range.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Talon ball, from ammunition store.  Ive fired about 8-900 rounds over the last 18 mos and its all shot under 0.75 MOA (most cans have grouped under or at 0.5 moa) out to 1000 yards.  Im shooting an AR-50 with a stock trigger and a nightforce scope.

Do you have any ballistic info on your setup?  What part of the state do you shoot at?
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top