Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2005 9:40:30 AM EDT
I have heard that there are brakes out for the Barrett 99 that are better than the original. I like the looks of the Serbu and the Viper brake, but are they more effective, and are they available for the 99? Anybody have any experience with changing their Model 99 brake to something more effective?  Thanks!

When in doubt, empty the magazine!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#1]
The newest clamshell brake is very effective. Looks like a donkey dick, that's what we called it in the shop, but effective.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 3:52:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Would that be the newest one for the 99 from Barrett?

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:47:03 PM EDT
[#3]
If it's wider in the front of the brake than at the first chamber, then yes you have the latest one offered.
There is another that was being tested that looks similar to the Serbu sharkgill brake. Don't know how far they are on it now.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is one of the new brakes on a M99

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the break!!! Its not as pretty as the old one, and its physically much larger. I have never had a direct comparison between the two firing, so I can’t tell you if its different. They claim it reduced recoil by 30%, and based on the 50cal says, I guess that is right.

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If it's wider in the front of the brake than at the first chamber, then yes you have the latest one offered.
There is another that was being tested that looks similar to the Serbu sharkgill brake. Don't know how far they are on it now.

Does this new break look like the one on the XM109???

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Whats the possibilty if you had an older 99, that you could get the newer brake?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#8]
That's definetly different than the brake on my model 99. Does Barrett claim it's 30% more effective than the older style? I see that it is available as a seperate part on their web site.  I just wonder if anyone else makes a effective brake that will fit the 99. I'd like to have a few options, if that's possible.

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:07:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I called Serbu last week and he indicated that the new Barrett brake was bery close to as effective as his brake.  He said he'd make one for a Barrett but if it was his he wouldn't bother.  My brother has an Ultra Light 50 and that brake is pretty effective.  

50cal, didn't Barrett claim that the original brake reduced recoil by 40%?  If that's the case, I'm assuming the new brake is a 30% improvement orer the original.

Am I close?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#10]
The new brake is what is pictured on the M109 payload rifle.

jjmcrowell,
that is the new brake for the 99. It is a big improvement over the arrowhead for the bolt guns.

pighelmet,
the new brake won't go on the older 99's because of the taper of the barrel. The new barrels have a straight section where the muzzle brake fits over the barrel. The older 99's don't have the straight section at the end of the barrel. You would need to have the barrel removed, turn down the front of the barrel right behind the threads to a parallel to accept the brake. If you ask Barrett, they will probably say that no they won't do it.

hoosierdaddy,
The arrowhead brake removes 70% of felt recoil, I'm not sure how they figured the additional 30% reduction with the new brake.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:16:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you sir.  You are a wealth of information!
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:33:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks.
I do what I can.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 3:23:29 PM EDT
[#13]
The Barrett M99 would probably do alot better with an AR50 brake on it.Is the thread pitch the same?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:56:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Pretty sure it's the same 7/8x14 thread.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Hmmmm,
Might have to try that some time.Anyone got an AR50 brake lying around for sale?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 12:45:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Thanks.
I do what I can.

Why did you quit working for Barret, did you just gt tired of the .50's?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 2:25:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks.
I do what I can.

Why did you quit working for Barret, did you just gt tired of the .50's?

Got laid off. I had a "difference of opinions" with a new guy they hired. I got the short end of the stick.  Oh well, shit happens.
I go to work for Serbu Firearms the beginning of April.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top