Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2004 5:02:05 PM EDT
well i just bought an ar-50 and well i didnt buy it with optics the ones they had on there, they wanted 1400 for and i almost crapped my pants i was wondering what scope + rings i could get without breaking the bank too much...  also it came with a harris bipod, ive been reading around that it folds back somtimes, which bipod do you recommend that i get?

thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:08:59 PM EDT
[#2]
angelfire does, im sure its unintentional
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:21:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Leupold 6.5-20x50 Vari-X III Long Range Target

This is exactly what I have on my M99... although I sent it to Premier for a couple of upgrades.  It works great and I rarely use magnification above 10x.  I shoot out to 1,000 yards with it plenty and can see targets just fine.  I don't know where all you guys are getting the "must be 12x or greater" information.  Granted, its nice to have the option of cranking it up to 20x, but I rarely use it.  When I do its usually to spot for someone else in the rare times I don't have the spotting scope with me.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

ive decided on this one... where do i get the rings for it?

i know i need the super high ones.. anyone point me in the right direction?

Excellent choice......

www.premierreticles.com

Usually has the best daily price on Badger rings.....they also usually have the best price on Leupold Mk4 rings.....

I also really like the TSR rings I got.....TSR TPS Rings
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:18:40 PM EDT
[#5]
IOR's 6-24x50 will smoke the leupold for that sake ANY LEUPOLD, if ya'll are serious about the Leupold you need to DEFINATLY(sp) check into IOR-Valdada Optics. They may be $50.00 or so more but you are getting the BEST IN THE WORLD, compared to a decent US product. Geez, Nightforce isnt even close.

It behooves any person looking for a quality scope to check out IOR, particulary for 50's!!!

If anyone has any questions regarding IOR's for 50cal give us a call at 1-877-808-8886 or check our site WWW.USAOPTICS.NET....This isnt an attempt to hustle the scopes off but to provide our 50 cal clients the right information on what scopes to look at!

Thanks for your time,
Richard Augat, USAOPTICS
WWW.USAOPTICS.NET....click here
[email protected]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
IOR's 6-24x50 will smoke the leupold for that sake ANY LEUPOLD, if ya'll are serious about the Leupold you need to DEFINATLY(sp) check into IOR-Valdada Optics. They may be $50.00 or so more but you are getting the BEST IN THE WORLD, compared to a decent US product. Geez, Nightforce isnt even close.

It behooves any person looking for a quality scope to check out IOR, particulary for 50's!!!

If anyone has any questions regarding IOR's for 50cal give us a call at 1-877-808-8886 or check our site WWW.USAOPTICS.NET....This isnt an attempt to hustle the scopes off but to provide our 50 cal clients the right information on what scopes to look at!

Bullshit.

Dealers who aren't in dealer arrangements look like free loaders.

Are you a free loader ?

BTW, should an IOR scope fail do you do the service?  Where is their US warranty facility?  What are the warranty conditions?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:04:02 PM EDT
[#7]
      No sir, We are not free loading ....In fact we are working with AR15 to become a dealer here, we have contacted them numerous times and are in fact working out the details...Its $150 trust me we are not here trying to avoid a measly $150 if you notice the amount of posts we made is very little because we are new!

Now lets get back to the issue..... Leupold is left in the dark compared to IOR, first off Leupold does not use the best glass, IOR uses the BEST GLASS IN THE WORLD..PERIOD..This is no exaggeration, also IOR also uses the BEST LENS COATINGS IN THE WORLD, Leupold does not. IOR is known for the BEST CRAFTSMANSHIP in the WORLD....(the IOR factories made the old CARL ZEISS-JENA optics..known at that time as being..THE BEST IN THE WORLD!)

As far as warranties well we have yet to have a scope come back for repairs...NOT ONE IN 4 YEARS, Now maybe that is just us but that has still YET to happen and we sell close to 150 scopes a month, BUT if something does happen you send it to us and we send you a NEW one ALMOST ON THE SPOT... As long as its a manufacturer's defect and you didnt RUN IT OVER WITH SAY..... A TANK! Its covered...beacuse the service facilities are not in the US they must be sent overseas, so we replace it thus a Factory Lifetime Warranty as stated!here
       And for the quality, NO SIR LEUPOLD IS NOWHERE NEAR an IOR Scope, the difference is NIGHT AND DAY, in fact we guarantee it, we will send you a scope with a 110% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE..Shipping, Credit Card Fees what have you.

And....if anyone tells you the Leupold line of optics is of the same quality or Better, well Sir, that is BULL....
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:26:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Where do you live in Kali? The reason that I ask is, we have a group of .50 owners that get together once a month to shoot at Angeles Range in SoCal.

As for scopes, you get what you pay for and going cheap on a .50 isn't a good idea. With that being said, you could probably mount just about anything on the AR-50 as the recoil is minimal. You'll also want something with enough power to see well out to 1000 yards or more if you plan to shoot that far. If you look around you should be able to find a Leupold Vari-X III or a Springfield scope that will be fine on the AR-50 and won't break the bank.

And once again Darin's website where you can look at the accessories for the AR-50. He makes ALL of the accessories for Armalite, he sells a bipod also that's a clone of the M-60 bipod. His email is on the page, click on the pics to enlarge. He's also a Kali boy and shoots with us on a regular basis, so it's a win win thing.

Here's a Nikon for sale CalGuns
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:04:24 PM EDT
[#9]
nikon 6.5-20x 44mm with nikon plex.

this any good?

i live in so cal i used to go to angeles all the time but the ro's got to me.

im intrested in the bipod!

let me know if the scope is any good. so i can buy that puppy up :)

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:14:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I've never owned a Nikon scope, so I can't tell you anything about them. I would imagine the fact that it has Nikons name on it, it would be quality.

Check their website and get some more details about it, see what kind of warranty they have. If it's a lifetime warranty, get it. Also check around to see if it's a good price.

If you want, come out to Angeles on a 3rd Sunday. We won't be there this month as we're doing some long range stuff elsewhere but will be back in Nov.

Drop Darin a email about the bipod stuff, tell him Shawn sent you.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I know you would like to keep costs down, but I would also suggest that you go with the Leupold Mark IV. It is a proven performer on the .50 and the warranty can't be beat.
You can score some very good deals on one if you are willing to spend a little time searching the various "for sale" forums that are out there.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:18:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I know you would like to keep costs down, but I would also suggest that you go with the Leupold Mark IV. It is a proven performer on the .50 and the warranty can't be beat.
You can score some very good deals on one if you are willing to spend a little time searching the various "for sale" forums that are out there.

ive been looking

i see this one for 650
Mark 4 3.5-10x40mm LR/T M3 Mildot   <---

wondering how that one is,  if thats not any good, could you guys steer me in the right direction to score a good deal?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:21:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Kevin, your shooting a 50 cal.  that means 300 yards+++  

You need a scope with at least a 15x or 20x zoom...

With a 10x scope you cannot see a 12" x 12" steel plate at 800 yds.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:27:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:39:21 PM EDT
[#16]

ive decided on this one... where do i get the rings for it?

i know i need the super high ones.. anyone point me in the right direction?

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Kevin, your shooting a 50 cal.  that means 300 yards+++  

You need a scope with at least a 15x or 20x zoom...

With a 10x scope you cannot see a 12" x 12" steel plate at 800 yds.

how did you know my name?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Mark IV M1 16x40, Leupold Super High Rings.
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=595

whats that white lettering on the ar-50?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:38:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:31:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
whats that white lettering on the ar-50?

I painted the lettering and the Armalite symbol so it would stand out....something different.

looks bitchin.. what did you use to paint it? paint marker?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:55:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:04:36 PM EDT
[#22]
What about the Super Sniper series? 16x or 10x?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:07:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

consensus says 10x too little for ar-50

12x or higher
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:00:39 PM EDT
[#24]
What do ya'll think about the IOR's 16x42 & 6-24x50's? Has anyone tried the NEW 6-24x50 35mm TUBE?

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:17:34 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I started out with a Super Sniper 20X an my AR50 and it worked out great. It went for three years and about 1200 rounds with no problems. A friend started with a Super Sniper 10X on his Serbu and upgraded to a 20X so I guess he was happy with his also.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

And once again Darin's website where you can look at the accessories for the AR-50. He makes ALL of the accessories for Armalite, he sells a bipod also that's a clone of the M-60 bipod. His email is on the page, click on the pics to enlarge. He's also a Kali boy and shoots with us on a regular basis, so it's a win win thing.

Spyware warning. The above link will try to install a spyware into your PC.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:30:30 PM EDT
[#28]
i had to put an abestos suit on just to come in this thread
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#29]
While I agree that IOR makes some nice scopes, look at what's being used on .50's in the civilian and winner's circle. The top two scopes are Leupold and Nightforce, Leupold use to be the dominating scope and now it's Nightforce.

U.S Optics probably makes THE best scope in the world but their prices are what keep them out of the hands of most shooters.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:39:29 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
No sir, We are not free loading ....In fact we are working with AR15 to become a dealer here, we have contacted them numerous times and are in fact working out the details...Its $150 trust me we are not here trying to avoid a measly $150 if you notice the amount of posts we made is very little because we are new!

Good to hear....

Now lets get back to the issue.....

Yes, let's.....

Leupold is left in the dark compared to IOR, first off Leupold does not use the best glass, IOR uses the BEST GLASS IN THE WORLD..PERIOD..This is no exaggeration

Bullshit!  Left in the dark would imply a difference akin to comparing Leapers to a S&B.  Your contentions on IOR's superiority may be a little biased, don't you think?  I have ownerd two IOR scopes and you know, neither one really impressed me.  In fact, they were both sold before ever being mounted.

...also IOR also uses the BEST LENS COATINGS IN THE WORLD, Leupold does not.

Care to offer independent verification of this claim?  I believe IOR is using Zeiss glass, which is pretty damn nice howver coatings are not necessarily a Zeiss proprietary thing....so let's see some backup to this claim.

IOR is known for the BEST CRAFTSMANSHIP in the WORLD....(the IOR factories made the old CARL ZEISS-JENA optics..known at that time as being..THE BEST IN THE WORLD!)

"at that time".......which was long, long ago.....I believe that there are at least 5 or 6 companies that one can argue are the best made optics in the world TODAY....

As far as warranties well we have yet to have a scope come back for repairs...NOT ONE IN 4 YEARS, Now maybe that is just us but that has still YET to happen and we sell close to 150 scopes a month,

So then odds are there is due to be some issues, and just because you haven't seen any issues doesn't mean a whole lot.  Some folks don't deal directly with the dealer for issues.

BUT if something does happen you send it to us and we send you a NEW one ALMOST ON THE SPOT... As long as its a manufacturer's defect and you didnt RUN IT OVER WITH SAY..... A TANK!

There are several optics manufacturers that don't have an "unless" clause to their warranties.  It's nice that you will replace the scope -- sounds like that's what needs to be done since there is no US facility to service the scopes.

...beacuse the service facilities are not in the US they must be sent overseas, so we replace it thus a Factory Lifetime Warranty as stated!

I'll just use UPS to send my Leupolds to Oregon to be fixed, thanks.

There were numerous tests done to this affect and the were conducted against SWORZSKI and SCHMITT & BENDER (more scopes that are better than Leupold) and hands down beat them in the catagories of CLARITY and REPEATABILITY. These tests were conducted by Soilder of Fortune and Guns and Ammo Magazines, so you are not just taking our word for it!

SWAROVSKI -- SCHMIDT & BENDER I would think that an optics dealer of stature would know how to spell the name of the two of the best scopes in the world.  Further, I don't consider SOF and G&A to be pillars of the journalistic society.  Care to offer any other INDEPENDENT tests?

...and for the quality, NO SIR LEUPOLD IS NOWHERE NEAR an IOR Scope, the difference is NIGHT AND DAY, in fact we guarantee it, we will send you a scope with a 110% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE..

Well, that's a swell offer....

And....if anyone tells you the Leupold line of optics is of the same quality or Better, well Sir, that is BULL....

Nobody need tell me, the IOR's are great scopes -- no doubt.  They lack some pretty critical features, lack some pretty decent service capability and generally ALL THINGS considered -- they are in the top 10, but in no way are they head and shoulders above Leupold, Nightforce, Schmidt & Bender, Swarovski, or Zeiss.

Sorry, they just aren't.....great deal for the money though.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top