Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2004 1:31:58 AM EDT
Hey guys and hopefully a few gals too -

I just bought myself a new Armalite AR50 with a Zeiss scope - why? because I can - for now at least.  I don't have any experience with these so for those of you with them, tell me what you can.........advice, opinions, problems, good stuff, best ammo, etc.............thanks and I can't wait to try it out.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:43:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Congradulations..... I hate you. JK JK. Wish I could help... enjoy the new rifle.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:22:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Where do you live in Kali?

Stay away from TNW's blasting ammo, Maine Cartridge Co. .50, and Dominicam Rep. "yellow tip" .50.

Ammoman has good prices on Talon ball .50 BMG and the shipping is FREE!

What else do you need? Got a cleaning kit? No. Try Arizon Ammo, they have kits and bore guides for the AR50. Buy alot of patches for when you have to clean it, get some good copper solvent like Barnes CR-10, Boretech or Sweets 762. You'll want a cleaning rod that's 60" long or your knuckles will drag on the stock.

What kind of rings did you get? Which scope rail did you get, 15 or 50 MOA? It's stamped on one of the ends. 15 MOA will get you out to 1000 yards, the 50 MOA will get you out to about 1,800 depending on how much MOA your scope has.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:33:05 AM EDT
[#3]
AAA ammunition is awesome. Check it out. This stuff is pricey but it is the best.

They also sell a AR-50 custom cleaning kit.

Check out their site here: AAA Ammunition
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:36:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Congratulations on the Armalite.

As far as ammo goes the AR50 will eat anything. If you run across some older Blue Tips or Spotter/Tracers loaded by Talon you may have to hand load the rounds under the extractor. That is really the only thing you might run across that falls in the "Problem" catagory. SLAP ammo will chamber in the Armalite but you shouldn't shoot it since there is the chance the sabot will hit the brake.

Unless you have a very long distance to shoot go with the 15MOA rail. The 50MOA rail is great for over 1000 yards but unless you have a million clicks of vertical adjustment you won't be able to adjust for short ranges.

The Harris bipod will work, just not very well. There is a lot of rearward motion and some times it does fold up on you.

Don't let guys set expensive spotting scopes or other nice toys on the shooting bench next to you. Muzzle blast  will put these things on the ground.

That's about all I can tell you except that you're going to love it and your ammo budget is about to take a sharp rise.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#5]
For accessories go to Darin's website he makes all the stuff that Armalite sells, click the pics to enlarge. Darin also posts on Biggerhammer if you ever need to get ahold of him.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:20:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
For accessories go to Darin's website he makes all the stuff that Armalite sells, click the pics to enlarge. Darin also posts on Biggerhammer if you ever need to get ahold of him.

+1 for darin prince
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:27:07 AM EDT
[#7]
You guys are great! thanks for the info - any bipods that work any better than the Harris one's??

I'm not sure on the scope base - it's still being shipped to me and I haven't seen it yet.....
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:42:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's some other info, what's the Obj size on your scope (front)? This will determine how tall the ring size you'll need, if it's 56mm like my Nightforce then you'll need the tallest rings possible. If the scope is mounted to low you'll have two problems, the first is the Obj. lens will contact the rifle and the second is the cheekrest will contact the bolt handle.

I think Armalite knew this and that's why their one piece scope mount/rings are so high. So if you plan on using Leupold (Mk-IV's) or Badger (Max50) rings, get the tallest possible or ones high enough to clear everything.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Regardless of objective size I needed, and others needed as well, to use superhigh rings so that you would be able to get a good cheek weld with the adjustable cheek piece. My ar50 has a leupold mark 4 16x on it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:55:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's a pic of my wifes AR30 and AR50.  We went with a 12x-42x 56mm Nightforce with medium Nighforce rings.  I had to Dremel off a little of the cheek rests lip so the cheek rest could go low enough and without allowing the bolt to run into it.  High rings would work without having to mod the cheekrest.  I wanted the scope as low as possible since my wife is short (5ft even).

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:28:59 PM EDT
[#11]
hey 50 - I saw your message about shooting at the angeles range - I'm a little farther south in San Diego.

The rifle I bought already has a Zeiss 6.5x20x50 mounted on it.

I'm definitely going to get one of Darin's bipods - I looked at several at the gun show today and none compared.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:05:25 PM EDT
[#12]
You won't have to go far, he lives in Oceanside. Drop him an email and tell him Shawn sent you.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top