Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 12/26/2003 12:43:32 PM EDT
Well I just got back from shooting 15 rounds out of the Griz... so now I have a few newbie questions...

I used the ATN scope... had no problems so far....although... once I was zeroed for 200yds the reticle was FAR up on the right... with only shooting 5.56 and 7.62 I have never seen this on any of my scopes...normal?

On another post someone stated that the Griz kicks significantly more then other rifles... I felt as though I was getting less then 12ga kick (shot the 12ga right after) how much less are these other rifles for kick?...

I had a few other questions that I had thought of on the way home but now I cant remember...isnt that typical...LOL

Link Posted: 12/26/2003 1:54:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I have never shot a griz.....own a Serbu...But if your kick is only felt like a 12ga you are doing fine....Only hard kicking ones I have heard bad stuff on is a Ferrett....I have shot a Barrett 99 which had a pretty good punch to it....

Sounds like your ready...just shoot and have fun....
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 2:11:42 PM EDT
[#2]
If you know someone that has an AR-50 ask them if you can shoot it. The first time I shot mine I had to check the round as I opened the bolt, thought it didn't fire. The recoil is so light that I can get back on target and watch the round impact.

What do you mean when you say the reticle is on the far right? Was that where it hit when you got it on paper or did it happen after you zeroed it? Check to make sure everything is tight and that the recoil didn't loosen it.

Check out my friends Grizzly www.daplane.com/50bmg/larpod.jpg if you like the bipod extention and monopod let me know. He makes them and sells them if your interested.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Luckily it happened while zeroing...not from the rifle but from the adjustments I had to make on the ATN optic...

I am actually interested in the aftermarket add ons... let me know what he asks for the stuff and I will consider it...
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I used the ATN scope... had no problems so far....although... once I was zeroed for 200yds the reticle was FAR up on the right...

No this is not normal, this is exactly just one of the problems I had with my same ATN scope, and one of the contributing factors to its replacement.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:00:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Orgnoi1
Email me at [email protected] and I will get you the details on the bipod extention and the monopod.

I'm guessing that Tom is right, if the scope has shifted it's POI after you sighted it in, this is not good. If you've used alot of your verticle and horizontal adjustment, recheck the rings and the scope rail to be sure that's not the problem.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:58:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Misunderstanding..

The sight once zeroed was out that much... meaning I had to make that many adjustments... maybe I will try and see if I can get my digital cam to take a pic through the lens so you can see
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:23:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Did you lap the rings? What about torquing the ring mounting screws and the ring halves?

After you boresighted that's where it impacted? Seems strange that it would be that far off. How much of your adjs. did you have to use to get it on center? How much do you have left?
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:30:58 AM EDT
[#8]
The only problem with my AR50 (other than the obnoxious 36lb weight) is the fact that it recoils so little, I can sit and shoot all day.

It gets real expensive, real quick.  Ditto on the watching impact through scope.  I found I can do that with API at 500 yards....Really neat to watch the flash.

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:07:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Did you lap the rings? What about torquing the ring mounting screws and the ring halves?

After you boresighted that's where it impacted? Seems strange that it would be that far off. How much of your adjs. did you have to use to get it on center? How much do you have left?

I boresighted 1 round @ 50yds which it put it on paper.. which was the only thing that was important to me, as the range is the only "friendly 50" range in the area I didnt want to screw things up...

I moved the target out to 200yds using a 175meter M16A1 sighting target (about 4ftx3ft target) and first 2 shots were top right of target. I dont remember the exact ele/wind I had to adjust but it was excessive (over 150 clicks) for each to get it down to center mass. I was using one shot spotters to walk the rounds in at each adjustment (usually I use 3 per adjustment on 5.56/7.62).. now that the adjustments have been made, you look through the scope with the 50cal adjustment ring set at 200yds and it is about 3/4 of the way up and right in the optic. when I made distance adjustments it does bring the reticle down quite a bit to where it is just right of center but not drastically up or down. I know this is kinda hard to explain typing it out... So far as I stand with it, the scope has had no "problems" with movement during firing or such...just a large amounts of adjustments had to be made to get it on paper...

I was considering taking my Leupold off my Tikka M595 and tossing it on for a few shots without taking my tactical turrets off from my zero so I can see how far that scope would be off.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:33:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Try boresighting at 200 yards, the .50 doesn't really get stabilized until it gets out past 100-200 yards. Sounds strange but that's what they say and it seems to be the norm.

Get a BIG target that you can see well at 200, center you turrets and try again. Seems strange that you had to use so much adj. to get on the target. I don't like the sound of a floating reticle/ring, just one more problem to deal with.Is your scope rail or rings degree'd (10,15,30 or 50 MOA) for range? If they are, make sure they're not on backwards.

You'll have better luck with the Leupold, make sure to lap the rings and make sure they're aligned with each other. Let us know what happens and post some pics if you can.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 12:17:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Try boresighting at 200 yards, the .50 doesn't really get stabilized until it gets out past 100-200 yards. Sounds strange but that's what they say and it seems to be the norm.

Get a BIG target that you can see well at 200, center you turrets and try again. Seems strange that you had to use so much adj. to get on the target. I don't like the sound of a floating reticle/ring, just one more problem to deal with.Is your scope rail or rings degree'd (10,15,30 or 50 MOA) for range? If they are, make sure they're not on backwards.

You'll have better luck with the Leupold, make sure to lap the rings and make sure they're aligned with each other. Let us know what happens and post some pics if you can.  

It's not strange. It's the ATN, I have seen what you mean about this "backwards" adjustment thing (my huge scope on my 10/22 is like that) but the ATN is just goofy. Usually when someone sez "its way to the right" its an indication of a harsh trigger pull. I can assure you hard kick or not, regardless of the rifle I fire, I always lay a tickle on the trigger that would make my wife jelouse. Anyhow, if i matters, considering I already went through all of this, I would like to mention that I am trying the Millet that the FCSA magazine VHP tried. Its a millet with 4x16x56 30mmtube with adj. obj. and target knobs. The difference is they went with a mil-dot reticule, and I didnt and I also dont intend to crush my scope as they accidentally did in the article. I intend to mount this on the same rings that the "way right" ATN was mounted in and give you a report when I can.
Orgnoi1, I am not trying to hijack your thread, if my comments or remarks are unwarranted just ask me and I will "butt-out" :)
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 2:36:15 AM EDT
[#12]
LOL run with it man...it just means I dont have to subscribe to another thread LOL...
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#13]
ok got it mounted and leveled. I also did an impromptu bore site.

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top