Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2003 5:01:27 AM EDT
Wow!  Now I understand what eye relief is and the need for a lot of it :).  I was too close to the cheap 3x9-40 scope and got a nice divet in my forehead :P.

CROCK, wanted to take a picture of the blood trickle down my nose, but I declined.

The muzzle blast also blew my AR10 out of the rack near the firing line!

Well I'm not shooting it again until I can get either iron sights or a decent scope.  

Steve
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:13:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow,how much recoil does that 50 have?what legnth barrel did it have?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:29:37 AM EDT
[#2]
It's the 18in model.  It probably doesn't help that I am a 145lbs lightweight.  The rifle itself only weighs about 14lbs.  I might add the lead weight to the trap door area in the stock to help me out a bit.

After shooting the rifle twice under the covered range area, the female range officer came out smiling and yelling don't shoot that thing anymore, as they need ear protection inside the office. :)
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:18:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It's the 18in model.  It probably doesn't help that I am a 145lbs lightweight.  The rifle itself only weighs about 14lbs.  I might add the lead weight to the trap door area in the stock to help me out a bit.

After shooting the rifle twice under the covered range area, the female range officer came out smiling and yelling don't shoot that thing anymore, as they need ear protection inside the office. :)

You can use BB's to fill your stock and save lots of bucks over that formed weight, I did...
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 8:40:13 AM EDT
[#4]
(LOL) The range officer needs ear protection in the office(HA HA HA HA HA HA)I like the looks of the 18" and the 22" Mag 50,how accurate is the 18"(or did you only get the 2 shots)and at what ranges?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:30:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I only fired the 2 shots.  They lady in the office was adament that I not fire it again in the 50yd area.  I was on the paper with my first shot though :).  I will wait for a decent scope before  I make judgements as to the accuracy.

The recoil was stiff but was not overkill.  When I get my bipod and a bit more weight in the stock I think it'll be a bit easier to shoot.  I need a lot more practice with it too.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I got to shoot a buddies UM50 today, the fit and finish is awesome. The recoil is about the same as a 12ga but not as punishing. He wasn't shooting for accuracy but kept hitting the steel plate a 400 yards. He was also using a OKO holosight on it for a scope.

Now heres the bad part of the story, he owns a Serbu BFG and it got jealous that he was giving the UM50 so much attention. So when he sat down to shoot the BFG he put the UM50 on the bench next to him. He pulls the trigger and hears a "clank", looks over and the muzzle blast from the BFG blew the UM50 off the bench! Didn't hurt it or the holosight but it scratched it up pretty good.

www.daplane.com/50bmg/umag_oko2.jpg
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:27:43 PM EDT
[#7]
50_Shooter

How was the recoil compared to the Serbu BFG?

What is the barrel length of the Ultra Mag?

What is the barrel length of the Serbu BFG?

Did you magazine feed or single feed with the Ultra? How did it work?

What ammo were you using and how many shots were fired?

Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to picture in my minds eye so I can fanaticize. (pretty sick I know)
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:09:06 AM EDT
[#8]
i will be tickled pink when someone can give an accuracy report . i am dieing to know how they shoot and have finally reached my financial goal to get one , but first would like to know how they shoot .
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:33:55 AM EDT
[#9]
50_shooter

I'd like to hear more about this "holo-sight". How does it work? What's the maximum range? How expensive, etc?

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's a range report from my buddy that was shooting with me on Sunday.

www.biggerhammer.net/barrett/wwwboard/index.cgi?read=129880
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#11]
thanks 50 shooter . sounds ok , but will wait for a report with scope .
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:47:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice! You guys at Angeles Range in Sylmar?
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:23:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Yep, we get together the 3rd Sunday of the month at Angeles Range. We won't be back there until Feb., got a better shoot planned for Jan.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top