Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 11/21/2003 4:50:03 AM EDT
I'm new to this, and am saving for my first 50.
How do you clean the bore? I was browsing through some of the 50 sites and saw a pic that someone made a bore guide outa pvc pipe. Does that mean bore guides are not readily available?

Thanks for your time.

Dan
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:46:53 AM EDT
[#1]
For cleaning kits, try www.aaa-ammo.com

As for cleaning, everyone has their own technique.  Here is mine using a plastic brush only:

1. Kroil till patches are clean.
2. Dry patch.
3. Sweet's till patches aren't blue anymore.
4. Dry patch
5. Sometimes I will use a little JB bore paste, if not skip to step 8.
6. Kroil to remove JB.
7. Dry patch.
8. Apply your favorite rust preventative.  I currently use Tetra but it smells like shit so I'm looking for something else!

HTH
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 1:03:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I use the OTIS kit that came with the rifle. Not much to it, the only "change" that I have seen so far is copper fouling seems much more severe in the 50, so every once and a while I'll throw some copper solvent down the bore.

It's just a rifle.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 4:56:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I use the OTIS kit that came with the rifle. Not much to it, the only "change" that I have seen so far is copper fouling seems much more severe in the 50, so every once and a while I'll throw some copper solvent down the bore.

It's just a rifle.

I agree - it's just a rifle. Just use common sense as you do with your other fine weapons. No voodoo nor other mysterious procedures and practices needed. Be aware that some surplus ammo is somewhat corrosive, ie Yugo, so use extra caution in cleaning it.

Otherwise just shoot it and enjoy!!!
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:22:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Same as any other rifle, however the copper fouling is worse.  AAA-ammo makes a great bore/rod guide.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Arizona Ammo makes a bore guide for just about every .50 www.azammo.com
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#6]
you can cut down on maintenance time while enhancing performance with TW-25B grease.

Mil-Comm Products offers 50 cal. application instructions.

www.mil-comm.com
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#7]
OTIS #250
50 CAL. Rifle Cleaning System
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:09:41 PM EDT
[#8]
The Arizona cleaning kit comes w/bore guide (brand specific) and is fantastic heavy duty quality.It's more than a rifle,it's portable field artillery.Enjoy.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top