Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2003 4:27:11 AM EDT
I am a newbie to the 50's. I was lucky enough to shoot 2 rounds from a shooter next to me at the gun range. He said its for not complaining about his muzzle blast. Now I gotta get one. I believe he said his is a McMillan. I am slowly saving up money for one.

1. How many good manufacturers are there and what are their names?

2. What are their web sites?

3. What are your preferences for choosing one over the other?

This is new territory for me. I have been reading other posts and am alot confused.

Thank you for your time.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:47:37 AM EDT
[#1]
The best bang for the buck that I have seen is the Armalite AR-50.

The McMillan's are nice, but they start out higher than the AR-50.

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:37:01 AM EDT
[#2]
For just rifles,
Barrett www.barrettrifles.com M99, M99-1, M95 and M82A1.

Armalite www.armalite.com AR-50

Serbu www.serbu.com BFG and BFG carbine

EDM www.edmarms.com WR96, WR99 and the WR50

TNW www.tnwfirearms.com M2

State Arms www.statearms.com not sure of all the models they make.

Not sure of the website for Robar and McMillan but they are basically the same rifles. There's also the Cobb50, AW50 and a couple others that I don't know the websites for, I'm sure others will post them. Check out this site for some that I've missed www.50caliber.net

Then you can look into the .50 BMG uppers that fit on AR-15 lowers. There's the Ferret50, ALRS, MMAG, UltraMag50 and the Watson Weapons uppers.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:48:45 AM EDT
[#3]

SHIVAN

Thanks for the post.
The AR 50 looks good!

Do you know how it compares to the rebel from state arms? http://www.statearms.com/rebel.htm. I never heard of state arms until the other day.

Another question if you don't mind. What do you shoot in 50s?

Dan
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:53:09 AM EDT
[#4]

50_Shooter

Thanks for the sites!
I'll be looking at those places for awhile, alot of information at those sites.

Another question if you don't mind. What do you shoot in 50s?

Dan
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:01:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I just read at ( http://www.tnwfirearms.com/ ) that by years end that you wont be able to purchase 50s in CA.

Does anyone know if it is true?

Man, I am a blue collar worker with wife, kids, mortgage, and I don't have the cash now.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:23:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 11:41:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Wheelgunner,
I shoot an AR-50, where do you live in Kali? Don't believe what you see posted, we beat them again this year but we'll be back at it again next year. They won't stop until they get them banned, that among other things is why Kali is the Nanny state.

If you live in SoCal we shoot the .50's as a group on the 3rd Sunday of each month at Angeles Range www.angelesranges.com if you want to come out. Send me a PM if you need more info on the shoot.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 12:54:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't forget the Birdman....

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:19:29 AM EDT
[#9]
50_Shooter,

I live in the San Francisco east bay, in a hole called Hayward. Thanks for the invite. I'm not down to LA area very often, next time I do head down there I'll be sure to look you up before I head out.

Man, its hard to decide between an AR50, Serbu, and the State Arms Rebel.

Dan
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:24:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Thebeekeeper1,

The state arms looks real cool, a no BS looking rifle. Was wondering about replacement parts latter, I know nothing lasts forever but...

Sometimes I overthink things and the brain starts to hurt...

Dan
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:29:11 AM EDT
[#11]
threefiftynone,

IS THAT FOR REAL?

Gotta be a joke, right?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:40:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:13:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:07:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Birdman's stuff is legendary, there was a city council that thought his HoMeBoY gun sites were real. You can check out more of his stuff at www.birdman.org and watch the Nuke50 video for a laugh.

Wheel,
You need to check out two sites, the first is Calguns www.calguns.net it's for Kali gun owners, many shooters in your area. The second is Biggerhammer www.biggerhammer.net/barrett/wwwboard/index.cgi you'll find alot of info there (trolls too) and people post their .50's for sale there also. On the Calguns site there's a group of guys from your area that put together a desert shoot, some of them have .50's. You might try to hook up with them and try out a .50 before you buy.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:22:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Here's a few more links.  The first one is a good primer for new shooters.  The other is just a bunch of usefull links.  

www.hevanet.com/temple/
goneballistic.info/50BMGlinks.html
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:37:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the site info.

Man, I got alot of reading to do.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:03:36 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
threefiftynone,

IS THAT FOR REAL?

Gotta be a joke, right?

It's a joke, fer sher...  You saw the "wink" underneath, didn't you?

Enjoy your fifty!
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top