Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 10/19/2003 5:04:44 PM EDT
Well, returned from the gunshow with a new nightforce 8X32, mark 4 rings and 150 rounds of talon ammo.  Got to meet the owner of Armalite via a friend and he swapped out my 50 minute base for a 15 minute and cut me a deal on the Prince bipod.  My buddy decided to stay the night and hang out with Mark (the owner) and I left to get back early so as not to piss the boss off.  She was a little worried when she looked in the back of my truck and the Boyes and 1/4 scale cannon I brought back for my buddy.

Well I finally get everything mounted up and go to it at 200 yards from the bench using some Bosnian .50 cal I picked up when I bought the rifle. 5 shots later, I'm right on.  Recoil is a push and frankly not as punishing as my 7mmMag with hot reloads. Accuracy is terrific with ball ammo.  I shot 2 5 shot groups with the distance center to center being 1.4 and 1.55 inches.  The talon ball shot about 2.5 inches with the group measuring 2.5 high by 1.0 wide (maybe its me?).

Overall, I am very impressed and shooting this beast is the most fun I've had shooting a bolt gun in a long time.

UPDATE:

Well I have about 75 rds thru the beast and the groups keep getting better.  Today, at 675yds (laser range finder) we shot 55 gal drums.  Wind was steady 12 mph with gusts up to 30 mph.  Using the Talon ball consistantly getting 4-5 inch range.  I only had to use 2.5 to 2.5 minutes of windage.  Man this 50 BMG sure bucks the wind!

I have added the Prince thumbscrew set and monopod.  The thumbscrew set sure helps with removing the stock (for transport) and the bolt for cleaning.  The thumb screws that control the elevation of the cheek rest kept sliping on me though - I think I just need to play around with a few washers and this will be corrected.  The monopod is the HEAT.  Beats the hell out of a stand bag.  This is definite 'must have' accessory!

I did have a problem with my Armalite/Prince bipod - the screw that holds on the left bipod leg striped out.  Unfortunitely this ended the shooting session before we got to shoot 1000 yards.  I'm trying to decide if I should send it to Darin or Armalite or 'modify/fix it' with some largetr bolts and nylock nuts.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 5:16:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you had fun, went to the desert this weekend and while I didn't get the time to shoot out to a mile, I did get a hit on the 1300 yard target.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#2]
be sure and clean your gun thoroughly, the Yugo(IK 98) has corrosive primers. use hot soapy water or ammonia based glass cleaner, then clean normally. I get good accuracy with the Yugo too!
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I used some sweets copper remover - great stuff but it sure puts cat urine to shame!  I've never had to resort to the hot soapy water, but just in case I ran a wet patch of kroil down the bore to afford some protection.  The boxes of the ammo I picked up are marked 'made in Bosnia', but the head stamp is the same as yours Skidly. So I'll treat it as corrosive.

I used to shoot 1000 yard stuff years back, but got bored.  I think I just got over being bored!

Now I have to find a case, WITH WHEELS.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top