Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 9/18/2003 12:43:46 PM EDT
I am thinking about a 50 BMG purchase next Spring, but there are so few people that really know anything about them!  I will probably only be able to shoot this beast about 2-4 times per year and thus cannot justify a $6000 Barrett, or the elegant $7,000 EDM Windrunner.

Here is my 'shopping list' of requirements:
1) would like to keep cost under $2,500, and certainly under $3k.
2) It must be tolerable to shoot recoil-wise, so and effective muzzle brake is mandatory I suppose.
3) Weight is relatively unimportant.
4) I am left-hand, but as long as it don't hurt me I suppose I can shoot a 'wrong-hand' action.

I have heard of the Serbu BFG-50 and of course the Armalite AR-50. I have never seen either one in person.  I hear the AR-50 even comes left-hand.  How do these two compare, and what else is within my price range?
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Left handed AR-50 matches your criteria. I have the righty version.
Great fun to shoot. Everyone of my friends who shoot it asks "can I shoot it again?"
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#2]
bill,

I see your in Arizona.  I bought my 50 from www.vmhytech.com  My rifle cost about $2000.  I have only had it for about 4 months now.  I love that gun...last week I was shooting out to 700 yards.  I have not really played with it but at 200 yards I have been able to get 1.5 2.0 inch groups.  That is with G.I. ball stuff.  Now that I am reloading the .50 I am sure with a good bullet I will be able to shoot well under MOA.  Plus they are great guys.

Call John Robertson (602)944-3956
2701 W. Grovers Ave. Suite 100A Phx Az, 85053

hope this helps.

Jason

Link Posted: 9/18/2003 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Another vote for the AR50 Lefty here. You won't find another bolt gun that's more pleasant to shoot. A friend shoots his Serbu left handed with no problem and its a great gun. I'll go out on a limb and say that you'll be happy with any 50BMG you get with the possible exception of the one that costs about $1200 and and looks like it was made in a High School shop class. You'll know it if you run across one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Appreciate the input guys!

I hope StyerAUG has another group buy next Spring on AR50's, a deal on on a LH one would probably make me pull out the old wallet.

Jason22:  I have talked with the VMHytech guys at a Phoenix gun show a couple times about their AR15 stuff.  Seem like knowledgeable guys, their AR15 has some interesting derivations from the regular mil-spec AR.  Their shop is only a couple miles from where I work.  I should pay them a visit and learn about their 50 BMG rifle.

Jeep:  You say the AR50 is most pleasant to shoot.  Is that due to fit of the rifle or mild recoil, or??

Only 50 BMG I have fired is a scratch built one an acquaintance of mine built in an Engineering Lab.  He used a Barrett barrel and a McMillan brake, made the receiver from a big hunk of tool steel and made the bolt too.  It weighs 35 lbs and I fired a few rounds.  It has been a couple years now, I miss it!

BillSp1
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 9:21:11 PM EDT
[#5]
doesnt ferret have a 50 cal that uses the AR lower?
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Get an AR-50, almost NO recoil, it's simply an amazing weapon to own.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 2:30:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Jeep:  You say the AR50 is most pleasant to shoot.  Is that due to fit of the rifle or mild recoil, or??BillSp1

Its a combination of a very efficient brake and the weight of the rifle. Recoil is more of a push than a punch. I've had plenty of folks shoot it an never once has any of them mentioned recoil being bad.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 4:19:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Go with the AR50L.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 5:47:36 AM EDT
[#9]
GI-  

Get rid of that silly Harris bipod and get the prince bipod for the AR-50.  I have one and love it.   Very stable platform.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 6:03:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Go with the AR-50.  I just bought it and I have the right handed model and it is the most fun gun I've ever owned.  There is almost no recoil, just a slight shove due to the very effective muzzle break they use.  Since your a lefty go with the gun that matches you, it's no price difference.  Also, I should have waited to buy mine because I just heard Armalite's doing a special batch of 50 cals with OD green stocks.  

Happy shopping
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 6:10:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
GI-  

Get rid of that silly Harris bipod and get the prince bipod for the AR-50.  I have one and love it.   Very stable platform.

For Bench rest, the Harris works Great!

I've had the BiPod adapter milled to accept two countersunk screws. This has made everything a lot sturdier, plus why spend $200.00 on a Prince when I can use the money for Hornady 750 AMAX
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 6:16:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Gotta get an AR50L.  Life is short, time I put down the mouseguns for a while!  I have a bunch of stuff that I can sell at e-bay that is just gathering dust, might be able to turn it into an AR50L.
Gotta get an AR50L.  Gotta get an AR50L.  Gotta get an AR50L.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 6:29:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey Gi, how are you loading the amax's? Powder, etc. I just bought a bunch from Cabelas and am interested in what sort of results you're getting in the ar50.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 7:30:50 AM EDT
[#14]
We have them in stock right now. The lefty we only do about twice a year so get it while you can.
my favorite .50 saying...

Load in one zip code shoot in another.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Billsp1,

Thanks for posting the question.I have been looking at the AR-50 for some time now thanks to the Price on the Barrett.

Recently an Antigun uncle passed away.
His estate left me a good chunk of green.

I'm thinking a AR-50L is a good place to park some of the funds.

The best part,my Lawyer is a rifle weenie as well(Hate to admit in public I have a lawyer that is also a good friend) and as an investment mind you,we are thinking of consecutive numbered AR-50's.

This is where Armalitesales comes in.

Sir,
Please contact me via PM.
Said Lawyer and I have a wild hair,and hopefully you and the good folks at Armalite can help.

Thanks much!
S-28
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 9:24:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, you could go get the new Alexander Arms AAR-15 Beowulf .50 cal.  I have one...and I love it.  The recoil isn't so bad.  It is purely a CQB weapon.  Not much good past 600 meters but really shines 300 meters and closer.  It kicks like a .20 guage slug and it has the same parts as an AR-15.  Just a larger bolt face and bigger barrel.  You can get the 16 inch barrel or the 22 inch.  Depends what you are looking for.  You can go to the Alexander Arms website to check it out.  It takes the same magazines as an AR-15/M-16.  It'll load 11 rounds in a standard 30 round 5.56 mm (.223) magazine.  It'll just be single stack.  I bought it last week and I put 40 rounds through it already.  That's $50 in ammo.  They have hollow points and FMJ's for it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Cyberninja,
I have seen and handled a couple Alexander Arms 50  Beowulf rifles (carbines), but never has the opportunity to shoot one.  The caliber and weapon is an interesting concept, it would slap someone down right now!  I think of it as akin to a 45-70 in semi-auto and would take it Elk hunting for shots withing 100 yards in a heartbeat.  The whole concept makes it a most unusual AR15 to say the least.

But I'm thinking more of a long range weapon and for that there are very few calibers that can challenge the big old 50 BMG.  Without an effective muzzle brake a portable 50 BMG would be a real "kill on both ends" proposition, but it seems this has been accomplished and now the only obstacles are affording the beast and then finding a appropriate place to shoot it. Outside of the sheer thrill of the noise and muzzle backwash, it would seem to have little advantage over the little calibers (everything else!) for target shooting unless you can get some long ranges to work, say 500 yards to beyond 1000 yards.  I will have to make time to go to special shoots to use a 50 BMG, but I just want one!
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#18]
GI  what scope you packing on that AR-50 I just picked one AR-50 up and I'm in the market for a good scope now.  GM
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 11:12:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Cyberninja,

But I'm thinking more of a long range weapon and for that there are very few calibers that can challenge the big old 50 BMG.  Without an effective muzzle brake a portable 50 BMG would be a real "kill on both ends" proposition, but it seems this has been accomplished and now the only obstacles are affording the beast and then finding a appropriate place to shoot it. Outside of the sheer thrill of the noise and muzzle backwash, it would seem to have little advantage over the little calibers (everything else!) for target shooting unless you can get some long ranges to work, say 500 yards to beyond 1000 yards.  I will have to make time to go to special shoots to use a 50 BMG, but I just want one!

The funny part is that if I had an AR-50, I would probably rarely shoot it further than a hundred yards.  I imagine I would want to be fairly close in to fully appreciate the down-range destruction it could produce.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 4:29:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
GI  what scope you packing on that AR-50 I just picked one AR-50 up and I'm in the market for a good scope now.  GM

Leupold Mark 4 M1-16x40 Duplex #45580, Leupold Mark 4 30MM Flat Top Rings #52083, Matte & Armalite's 15MOA Rail.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 10:15:50 AM EDT
[#21]
GI Brat,
Top quality glass on the AR50L!  I have been looking at that pis for several days now and have to ask this;

Why did you go with such a high scope base?  This then requires that elevated cheek rest thing and places the line of sight about 3"  above the bore.  Is this a problem for elevation adjustment? Is this "head up" shooting position better for the AR50?  Just currious.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#22]
With the AR-50 the higher rings are required for the bolt to clear the cheek rest and still have the cheek rest in a comfortable shooting position.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
With the AR-50 the higher rings are required for the bolt to clear the cheek rest and still have the cheek rest in a comfortable shooting position.

What he said!

This pic may help explain it a little better.

Also using the Mark4 Rings, a torque wrench is necessary for proper tightening....btw, the wrench is set for 65 in/lbs.

Link Posted: 9/23/2003 1:14:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I just got mine about a month ago, it came with a Nighforce NXS 8.5x32x56. It's by far the jewel in my collection.

Edit to add, YES, I'm getting rid of the Harris bipod asap.

Link Posted: 9/23/2003 6:46:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Wolfpack,
That big NF scope looks just right on the AR50! Gives me wood!

Thanks for the "high mounted scope" explanation guys.  You guys better be getting a sales commision from Armalite, your photos and explanations beat the hell out of what is available at the Armalite site!  I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate you sharing your experience and opinions on the 50 cal rifles.

Now, if enough of us get 50's you think WalMart will start selling a couple grades of 50 BMG ammo?  (LOL)
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 6:06:17 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Now, if enough of us get 50's you think WalMart will start selling a couple grades of 50 BMG ammo?  (LOL)

Hell, your lucky. I see your in AZ and if your in the Phoenix area that new Sportsmans Warehouse sells .50 in 10 pack boxes. I was there about a month ago and almost fell over when I saw it. I'm getting my ammo from Arizona Ammunition as of now.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top