Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2003 5:07:29 PM EDT
Anybody here got any input as to what sort of accuracy might be expected from average military ball ammo, fired from any decent rifle? Say at 200 yards?

I asked this at the "Biggerhammer" board, and it appears only one person over there has any actual experience with this exotic combination.

Also, anybody ever have problems closing the breech or bolt on this Talon ammo? I got 3 cans of it, purchased at different times, and the headspce dimension is all over the place. Some is about .045 inch shorter than others. One round will be about .005" too long to close the breech fully, another round has .040" rattle.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 5:43:07 PM EDT
[#1]
It's only rated for about 2-3 MOA as the M2 disperses it's ammo into a beaten zone. Talon did have a QC problem awhile back, Tina from Talon posted on BH that they had started a few new QC checks on their ammo. I haven't tried any of their newer stuff so I can't really say one way or the other.

I have read some of the posts on BH that people have held about 1 MOA with Talon. The best group I ever shot with it out of my AR-50 was 12" at 1000 yards.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 2:25:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I got about a 5" group at 200 yards with Talon from an AR-50. I haven't tried any of the new stuff with tighter quality controls.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 4:48:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok, now were talking numbers.  How about M33 ball out of the same combo?
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 11:17:26 AM EDT
[#4]
just got into the 50 bmg game.  I bought 100 rounds of talon at J@G gun sales in Prescott Arizona.  

So far I have been able to get 2-3 inch groups at 200 yards.  I also chronographed some of the talon rounds.  Out of my VM-50 36 inch barrel rifle they go Ave. 2779 fps.  By the way  I pulled a bullet and it was 710 grains.

Got my RCBS reloading stuff yesterday...woohooo so now I can make some match reloading for my gun.  I am sure with a good bullet "a-max or barnes bullet" I should be able to shoot under 1 inch.  I will let you guys know how it goes.

hope this helps

Jason  
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 4:33:30 PM EDT
[#5]
ever chrono bosnian ball ammo or HSM A-Max, i'm curious what FPS they are out of a 36"
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 9:06:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
ever chrono bosnian ball ammo or HSM A-Max, i'm curious what FPS they are out of a 36"

No I have not chrono'ed anything but Talon.  I will be going to the crossroads show next weekend.  Maybe I can find some of that 50 ammo.  

Jason
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 6:52:00 AM EDT
[#7]
i can hit a 5 gallon bucket lid every time with talon ball.  I think on paper i was looking at around 3-5" at 200 yards
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:57:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I think the Yugo is hotter and more consistent than the Talon factory "reloads". I try to shoot 98 yugo almost exclsively after having a few irritating instances with the Talon. I had not much chambering problems though.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 5:18:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Has anyone found that mixed years and headstamps on the Talon remanufactured ammo makes any difference to group size? Or is Lake City quality control as good with .50 as it is with 5.56, with stamp and year making no difference to case capacity and therefore group size?
I appreciate all the info the members here so freely share with each other.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top