Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2003 7:38:54 PM EDT
Which is better? Hornady lock and load 50bmg or the rcbs 50bmg press? Hornady has 2 dies and rcbs has 3 (i think).????? Like to here from reloading 50bmg owners!
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I've heard, the presses themselves are identical. Probably both made by RCBS. The Hornady's "Lock-N-Load" feature only applies to the shellholder, but if you have to keep changing out to the priming ram I think it would still be a convenience.

Everybody says the Hornady dies are better than the RCBS dies, especially the decapping pin. Hornady also uses the best lock ring design in the industry, in my opinion.

Planning to build my own press someday, I recently bought a set of Hornady dies, plus an RCBS shellholder. The packaging could have been more secure, but those dies are BEAUTIFUL.

I thought both brands came as two-die sets standard. If there is a third die included, it's probably the trim die, which is next to useless.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 5:12:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got the RCBS and like it and I use the trim die and like it as well.

MM419
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Fuzzbean said "Planning to build my own press someday"

OK, I'm up for that. I've seen pictures of a homebuilt press that looks like an RCBS clone. I've had no luck tracking down any plans, drawings, specs, or whatever.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 8:24:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I suppose the trim dies are better than nothing if you're only trimming a few cases, but the things are bad in principle. Brass does not file worth a darn unless you have a sharp file; the die must be very hard steel to maintain its critical dimensions; the the file is bound to rub against the hard steel to some degree, dulling its teeth. In my experience, it's easier to cut mild steel with a dull file than it is brass.

Don, I was going to design my own press. I have a rough idea in mind, but first I have to finish my rifle.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 9:15:51 AM EDT
[#5]
FuzzBean:
I hear what you're telling me, but you might find this website interesting.

community.webshots.com/user/bob102759

Don in Ohio

Edited to say that I keep hoping someone will know where to find plans to build a press like shown at the above link. Don't be shy, please speak up!
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top