Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2003 7:38:15 AM EDT

I came across several of these rounds last week, and am hoping to sell them.  However, I have yet to see any for sale on the internet, and don't want to over- or underprice them.  

Does anyone care to comment?
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 2:04:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Tracers usually run about $1.25-$1.50 per round.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#2]
what is the headstamp on them
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 5:17:37 PM EDT
[#3]

The head stamp is L-C-5-8, printed one character at each of the four points of the compass.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 6:59:07 PM EDT
[#4]
They are probably of more interest to a ammo collector than to a shooter. Those hard primer, high pressure war loads scare me.

I would consider selling them one at a time on auctionarms, gunshowauction, and my very favorite www.gunsandammoauctions.com
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 2:49:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
They are probably of more interest to a ammo collector than to a shooter. Those hard primer, high pressure war loads scare me.

I would consider selling them one at a time on auctionarms, gunshowauction, and my very favorite www.gunsandammoauctions.com

Why would they scare you? Our rifles are built to fire the 50BMG round. What do you think the current supply of Yugo is? Plain old machinegun ammo.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 9:17:13 AM EDT
[#6]
the problem is the constand warning I get about "war" loads having excessive powder loads. I do know that mark had to make a firing pin mod for the hard primers found on some of those old AP rounds. Ammunitonstore.com has some rifles or customers with them and they recommend against using it in rifles. It is the same era as these tracer rounds.

I supppose you have a valid poind for the most part as far as the powder, I know those yugo rounds have a good charge, thats what I really love about them. But the yugo uses a thinner regular style primer that works good with rifle firing pins. the idea of a hangfire on a 50 due to the old style heavy primer just scares me.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 3:05:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a round that, due to my own ignorance, blew the firing pin out of the back of a bolt with enough force to bend the hammer pivot pin. The manufacurer, Mark Serbu, repaired everything at no charge knowing it was my fault. Talk about great customer service. Anyway, no point in being afraid to shoot that thing. I've shot a bunch of the APIT from Ammunitionstore.com. It is 1950's vintage and it wasn't any stiffer than the Yugo. Just stay away from Dominican Yellow Tips and MCC and you should live to tell the tale.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#8]
How did you cause the failure?

I've read Pagel's article on the Dominican "yellow tip" AP but what is the MCC?
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#9]
MCC is Maine Cartridge Co. and they have been known to load their ammo HOT!!! It's best to leave it for M2's and nothing else.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 6:54:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
How did you cause the failure?

I had a can of Talon Blue Tips that the shoulders were set back too far to allow them to properly chamber in my AR50 (this was a common thing about two years ago). Normally if I just loaded them under the extractor and let it hold the round far enough back for the firing pin to do its job. Well, one particular round didn't want to cooperate. Seeing how Blue Tips cost a whopping $1.50 each I wasn't about to let it go. I tried three times to get it to fire with no results other than a badly dented (weakened) primer. Just so happened my buddy Jerry was at the shoot with his Serbu gun and it just loves those Blue Tips. Sooooo, I stuck that much abused round in the chamber of Jerry's, pulled the trigger, gun went bang, bullet down range went pop, gas blew back through the huge hole in the primer, firing pin exited the rear of the bolt, and the hammer went back with enough force to cause the hammer pin to bend. Thanks to the great design of the rifle we didn't even know anything was wrong until a spring fell out of the stock.    
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 9:58:12 PM EDT
[#11]
so what 2 or 3 times stricken? or way more? Im just curious. I would like to get an idea what would be considered a bad idea? I had a round that hung fired and I gave it as a sovenir to a friend who is a shooter (not a 50 cal shooter though) and also a round that upon doing a plain old MK1 eyeball inspection for concentricity didnt pass inspection because the bullet was seated at an angle. 3 other sovenirs were given away after it was discovered that they were "without powder" with the "rattle inspection" (shake and listen).
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 5:47:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I tried three times in the Armalite and once in the Serbu.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 7:04:59 AM EDT
[#13]
thanks
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top