Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 7/8/2003 1:28:45 PM EDT
Hot off the press!

FCSPI Email Alert
Victory in CA!

Thanks to a last ditch effort by FCSPI and a team of pro-gun leaders, AB-50, California’s 50 caliber ban was defeated today in the Senate Public Safety Committee.  FCSPI President John Burtt traveled to Sacramento to testify and was joined by the NRA’s Ed Worley, California Rifle and Pistol Association’s Jerry Upholt, Gun Owners of California’s Sam Paredes and Safari Club’s Kathy Lynch.

AB-50 had been pulled from last week’s committee schedule and in the interim, FCSPI presented Committee members with documented expert testimonials that dispelled the ridiculous anti-gun myths put forth by the backers of the 50 ban.  The bill was heard today in Committee and defeated.  It is effectively dead for this session, although we expect anti-gun forces to try again next year.

Supporters in California should take the time to thank two Senators whose votes were very important to this victory.  Committee Chairman Senator Bruce McPherson (R-15) and Committee Vice-Chair John Vasconcellos (D-13) both took the time to hear the credible testimony and evidence put forth by FCSPI and cast votes that allowed the bill to die in Committee.  You can find their contact info at www.sen.ca.gov – be sure to take the time to thank them.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 1:31:56 PM EDT
[#1]
That is unfuckingbelieveable.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 1:40:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 1:40:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Hooray for you PRK guys
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#5]
WOW! Maybe there is hope for THE PRK!!
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 2:09:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't have a 50.  Don't want a 50.  See no need for a  50.  Having said all that, congrats Cali.  Good job.

Link Posted: 7/8/2003 2:31:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I don't have a 50.  Don't want a 50.  See no need for a  50.  Having said all that, congrats Cali.  Good job.

Yeah, guess no one needs anything bigger than a 22 rimfire.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 2:46:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I don't believe you.  Why else would you be browsing this forum?!  Everybody needs a .50!  j/k  

I was getting nervous listening online.  When I got word of it failing a little later, I damn near cried I was so happy!
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 2:46:48 PM EDT
[#9]
HELL YES!  IT IS NOW TIME FOR ME TO FINALLY ORDER MY 50BMG!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
HELL YES!  IT IS NOW TIME FOR ME TO FINALLY ORDER MY 50BMG!!!!!!!!!!

Do not allow anyone including yourself or your SO to talk you out of it.

Do it NOW!

BTW Welcome to AR15.com if you are actually a newcomer.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 3:16:26 PM EDT
[#11]
That's one small victory but the war continues.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 3:41:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Congrats Guys - I'm sure all of us who took the time to send in letters, phone calls and emails had a little to do with this victory. Everyone of you should give yourself a great big pat on the back!

But let's not fall asleep here - "they" could come back next year with this same bullsh*t law. All it would take is for one .50 shooter (not you Shawn - LOL) to do something stupid with his .50 which gets someone hurt and WHAM, here we go again!

I'm not a pesimist, just realistic. We have real political enemies out there so PLEASE...everyone be as careful as you can with your BAD-BOY RIFLES and just maybe we can all enjoy them for the next few years or more!

Also, we should take the time to thank two Senators whose votes were very important to this victory. Committee Chairman Senator Bruce McPherson (R-15) and Committee Vice-Chair John Vasconcellos (D-13) both took the time to hear the credible testimony and evidence put forth by FCSPI and cast votes that allowed the bill to die in Committee. You can find their contact info at www.sen.ca.gov. Please Be sure to take the time to thank them.

That said, now I'm gonna celebrate with a few adult bev's here at home and plan my next shooting outing for the Ferret...
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 3:53:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I sent an email thanking Sen. Bruce McPherson [email protected] for being able to see past the lies and half-truths put before their committee. Was able to find an email address for John Vasconcellos [email protected]. They need to be thanked, we all know this will come around again and we will need all the help we can get to defeat it again. Please take a second to do this.

Edited to add email addy
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
That's one small victory but the war continues.

Problem is, in this war all we do is win delaying battles.  I will truly celebrate if the AWB actually sunsets without a replacement.  Call me a sceptic but until I see some rights restored, I just can't get too  excited.  Course, this was great to see in Cali where new and stupid gun laws are standard operating procedure.

\
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's the email I sent to Senator McPherson - feel free to use any portion of it if you have trouble (like me) in wording such things:

---start email---

Dear Honorable Senator McPherson,

Thank you Senator McPherson for taking the time to listen to credible testimony and using reasonable judgement in assessing the pros and cons of AB50.

Law abiding gun owners in this Great State have suffered immeasurable harm to their Second Amendment Rights under the US Constitution, due to irrational knee-jerk decisions of many elected officials who believe that disarming law abiding citizens is the cure-all remedy for criminal activity. Thank God for men like you who take the time to listen to all sides before casting your vote.

As an honorably retired peace officer of this Great State, I fully understand the need for "reasonable" gun laws to help protect our citizenry, but AB50 would not have served any purpose other that to punish honest citizens.

Again, thank you for your vote.

Sincerely,
David B. Foster,
Fillmore P.D., retired

---end email---

I also sent the same to Senator Vasconcellos. His email is:

[email protected]
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#16]
We got them in stock so let the dealers know you want them.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I think "assault" aluminum baseball bats should be banned. They have no sporting purpose, a wooden bat works just fine in base ball. Aluminum bats are designed for one thing and one thing only, to kill...

I think people don't need the extra engine capacity of "assault" V8's in cars. Why would anyone need more than a 4 cylinder, only 4 cylinders have legitimate purposeful uses. I also think they need to ban those "fully and semi automatic" transmissions. why does anyone need to go through those gears so quickly. A transmission like that is built for one thing, to kill, rapidly. There is no reason a person shouldnt have to manually make the tranny go through the gears.

doesnt this sound silly? silly as, "See no need for a 50!"
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 4:25:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Great news, thanks to all the supporters to defeat this ban.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top