Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2003 5:26:26 PM EDT
So I put down $500 on a Serbu this weekend. Unknown delivery time. Bite me, Koretz.

I'm completely new to 50 BMG. A couple questions:

1. Scopes. I'm willing to shell for some decent glass. What's a plausible power scope? I've heard the 15X+ scopes have problems with mirage, but that's all second hand info. Are people using 40mm 12X for 500 yd + shots or what?

Are the Leupolds popular? I prefer the mil dot reticle.

2. Ammo. I'll need some blasting ammo and some match ammo. What's a good source? I'm in CA, so can I have any of the interesting spotter ammo?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Where do you live in Kali? We are doing our .50 shoot on the 22nd at Angeles Shooting Range www.angelesranges.com if you can make it out.

Leupold and Nightforce are the two most popular with IOR, Tasco SS and Springfield following up. There was an article in VHP about the Burris black diamond on a .50, if you want to read the article go to www.fcsa.org and click on the cover of the VHP front page.

For blasting ammo try Ammoman www.ammoman.com for some Talon. You can get some loaded AMAX from The Hunting Shack www.thehuntingshack.com at a reasonable price.

You CANNOT legally have tracer, incendiary, spotter tracer blah blah blah. No fun stuff allowed in PRK.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in the same boat, just got my Serbu a few months ago and am looking for a good scope. So far I'm looking at Nightforce, but some have told me the U.S. Optics makes a kickass scope as well.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey 50 - is the Talon ammo acceptable at the Angeles range, ie, NOT steel cored like the Yugo stuff???
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:21:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I got a Serbu a few months ago as well. I bought a Leupold Mark 4 16x mildot for it. With Badger Max 50 rings in standard height.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry, Talon is remanufactured Mil components. To be safe at the range you'll have to have AMAX or some other type of match projo.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:00:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Sorry, Talon is remanufactured Mil components. To be safe at the range you'll have to have AMAX or some other type of match projo.

Thanks for the info...
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:32:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I purchased an IOR 4-14x50 tactical scope with the illum. mp-8 reticle (similar to a mil-dot) It came recommended by other serbu .50 owners and has a mid-range price. around $900 retail. but if you go to biggerhammer.net and get on their fourm you can find a guy by the name Don who will get you a good price with full warranty he is a dealer. check him out. I havnt tried it on my serbu its supposed to be here this week.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top