Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2015 10:15:28 AM EDT
Anyone tried putting a KAC MAMS brake on a SCAR 17? So far I've seen one post on another forum where a user installed one. I'm looking for more info, if possible. I have a KAC 7.62 QDC suppressor on the way for another rifle and I'd really like to be able to use it on my 17 as well.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:26:42 PM EDT
[#1]
You can. You just need to buy the correct thread pitch mount
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 4:47:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I just tried the MAMS on a 17S that belongs to a friend.  We spent a couple hours on a Florida USAF range shooting the MAMS that he bought at a good price off Ebay.  The MAMS is a bit bulky but if you are going to a KAC QD suppressor - the overall set up is compact.  You will find that the SCAR is pretty noisy compared to a gas impingement 7.62 like a SR25, AR10 or Colt LE901.

Definitely was controllable in rapid fire with factory barrel.  We had access to a 13 inch barrel and torque wrench and barrel change was swift and accuracy was repeatable if you did the barrel change as required by the factory.

I definitely like the KAC MAMS and QD on the shorter barrel, but the performance is not worth the cost to me.  If you are looking for something that is unique looking and has good muzzle control on a already easy to shoot 7.62 rifle - go for it.

If you are looking for a good suppressor for a 7.62 - I would look to the other brands.  I have experience with the legacy 7.62K Surefire and 762SS and the AAC SCAR Heavy (not alot of them available).  Both are correct for a military collector and cost about the same (sometimes less since the SF is a legacy system.

I have no experience with the other 7.62 systems that you can use on a SCAR, so maybe some others can chime in.

Either way, get some spare gas plus so you can dial in your rifle to the suppressor for max comfort and best functioning.

Enjoy the scar since it is very accurate if the barrel is torqued right and with the right trigger, ammo and glass  - a good shooting will be amazed at how accurate it is at longer ranges.

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 5:21:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Edit: Oops, i had my information mixed up--thought there was a KAC QDC 3-prong in 7.62.

My only concern would be timing the MAMS. If it must be timed to a particular orientation, then it could cause problems of misalignment when torqued with shims given the narrow shoulder of the SCAR-H/17S barrel (recall: the FNH ECP flash hider/suppressor mount "sleeves" over the barrel).

If you can index the MAMS off of the muzzle (i.e., no shims for timing), then I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I indexed my SureFire SF3P off of the muzzle for my SOCOM762-RC-DE, which put the indexing notch more at 1:00 instead of 6:00, but it's not a big deal considering the 3-prong design.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top