Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2013 1:51:21 AM EDT
Well after a couple months shooting my 16S I really like it.

I was thinking about firing off the $200 to SBR it but wanted to find a shop that would do the barrel work and name/city engraving.

Thinking of going 12" or so.

Has anyone found a good source for this at a fair price...?
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Troy at inrange did my ak and heqas reasonable. Nefarious arms did my scar but he doesnt engrave.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Hi Desert Dog out of NV does both and excellent work.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 4:41:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Just be prepared for a nearly total communications blackout between you and him as well as your item taking five times longer than what he quotes to come back to you.

Also don't bring up his name around the FN Forums.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Just be prepared for a nearly total communications blackout between you and him as well as your item taking five times longer than what he quotes to come back to you.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That bad....?

Is the work solid..?

What kind of turn around could I expect..?
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That bad....?

Is the work solid..?

What kind of turn around could I expect..?
View Quote

I currently have a PS90 barrel with him. I sent it to him in early June and was quoted a 3 week turnaround... I still don't have my barrel. I've emailed him twice asking for an update and he's answered neither.

From what I've read on FN Forums he has a rep for quoting weeks but taking months, never answering emails and rarely answering his phone. There were a handful people very pissed at him for cutting crooked threads on their barrels but most people report good quality work... you just have to be able to live with sending your barrel into a black hole for a few months.

I had a guy I was referred to on here cut my scar 16 barrel down a while back, he did excellent work and turned it around in less than 2 weeks. His name escapes me though. I then had my scar engraved locally, they did it same day and I just put some alumablack on it when I got home.

EDIT: The guy who did my scar barrel was Marvin Pitts, aka Nefarious Arms. He is highly recommended by me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 7:06:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool... Thanks for the reply
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 9:42:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Any other options out there..?
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#9]
You won't find the one stop shop you seek. Send to Orion for the engraving, then to Nefarious for the cut down.

Avoid HDD. Way too many complaints.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:28:47 AM EDT
[#10]
+1 for Marvin. Very fast work. You can send the barrel to him while your form 1 is near approval and then send your receiver to Orion or Indent for the engraving. Marvin did my Scar in about 3 weeks and the work was great. Indent did the engraving and it took about 3 weeks too.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:10:18 AM EDT
[#11]
ADCO
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
ADCO
View Quote

I wouldn't hesitate to send ADCO almost any barrel to cut and rethread, but the SCAR barrels going this short require changing out the gas control screw (you don't drill out a SCAR gas port like an AR) and this requires some SCAR experience in particular.

Maybe Steve has done this work before, I don't know, but Marvin has a ton of experience
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:54:28 PM EDT
[#13]
The SCAR's gas port is a removable, changeable screw with a hole in it. To change your gas port size you change the screw.

Marvin just removes the stock gas port plug for you to replace it with a factory FN sized port screw. Unless he started providing the new parts that is...

Edit: and this is a "tuning" process as well... most folks purchase several sized screws and try them to find the one best tuned for their rifle. There is no "default use this and it works automatically" size.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Since the Scar upper is the numbered part wouldn't I have to send the upper to Orion for engraving..?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Since the Scar upper is the numbered part wouldn't I have to send the upper to Orion for engraving..?
View Quote

Yes. They are saying you could send the barrel by itself to the barrel guy and the upper to the engraving guy so both are getting done at the same time
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:31:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

No. It's a common misconception that the serialized part must be engraved. Per the ATF, you must mark the weapon in a conspicuous place to include "receiver, barrel, or frame" (paraphrasing, you can easily find the supporting documentation online). On an AR, for example, one could engrave the upper receiver and be acting legally.

Most people engrave the lower so that they can run multiple NFA uppers on it. Otherwise, each upper would have to be engraved.

I will be engraving my SCAR polymer lower. That way, should I ever need to return it to Title I status, it's a $125 part that has my info rather than an unobtanium "upper" receiver.

If one never plans to get rid of the SCAR--I certainly don't plan to--it's a nonissue. But I prefer to preserve the option value associated with engraving a low-dollar item.

Back to the OP, Marvin is the go-to guy for barrels. I'm patiently editing for factory CQC barrels since they should require no additional tuning and, if you look closely, cut-downs are a tad longer than factory 10" guns. I also echo previous posters who suggest sending the barrel and part to be engraved to separate shops.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top