Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2011 3:17:00 AM EDT
I was wondering what others my be out there?  

Planning to purchase this tool so I can install the PWS rail extension on my 16s.
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 3:22:39 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I was wondering what others my be out there?  

Planning to purchase this tool so I can install the PWS rail extension on my 16s.

Just go to Sears and buy a torque wrench. The only reasons to get the official super secret squirrel Navy SEAL FN Herstal tool is to keep it authentic, to quick change barrels in the field, or because you have money to burn and like using the authentic tools.

A regular torque wrench is less expensive and adjustable for other torque values. Just my humble opinion as a gearhead. I have 3 different torque wrenches for working on cars and the bike (3/8" in-lb wrench, 3/8" ft-lb wrench, 1/2" ft-lb wrench). The difference is in the resolution and maximum/minimum torque values. For instance that Seekonk is set at 62 in-lb, or 5 ft-lb and change. It's not exactly a lot of torque so a 1/4" adjustable torque wrench would even accomplish the mission.

Link Posted: 4/23/2011 12:22:56 PM EDT
[#2]
You can go the Sears route (I did), or the Seekonk route (which I also did). The Sears wrench in in/lb will come in handier for other tasks than seating a SCAR barrel. The Seekonk wrench is...well, just for the SCAR, as far as I'm concerned.

One thing going for the Seekonk wrench is that it is an offical part of the SCAR kit as issued...so, there's only the pouch (which you can't buy, period) and everything else left to collect, if that's your cup of tea

To be honest other than trying to fix barrel canting issues (which I did with mine), there's pretty much no reason you'd ever need to remove the SCAR barrel....unless FN starts selling SCAR barrels in their CQB and long formats. So, either way, it's not really "needed"....

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 7:04:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought a standard adjustable torque wrench, works great for the SCAR, scope rings, rail systems.... very useful tool and less than the seekonk.

If you want the issue SCAR tool kit they are starting to trickle out, Larsen's firearms in WA has them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 9:12:52 AM EDT
[#4]

FWIW, the Seekonk tool seems easier to use than an ordinary torque wrench.  But I'd say its utility depends on your disposable income.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 5:36:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I bought a standard adjustable torque wrench, works great for the SCAR, scope rings, rail systems.... very useful tool and less than the seekonk.

If you want the issue SCAR tool kit they are starting to trickle out, Larsen's firearms in WA has them.

What is in the tool kit and how much do they cost?  Probably wouldn't be a bad thing to have if you had multiple SCARs (which is my goal!).

Answer my own post:

$205-$315
Larsen's

$205

$315
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 6:48:43 AM EDT
[#6]
The only tool I really need/want is that piston remover tool. FNH conveniently forgot to issue those for the SCAR 16S. I don't really need a carbon scraper though, foaming bore cleaner does the trick in the gas chamber - but pushing that piston out can be a chore without the right tool. I am using a makeshift assembly for now.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 9:23:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The only tool I really need/want is that piston remover tool. FNH conveniently forgot to issue those for the SCAR 16S. I don't really need a carbon scraper though, foaming bore cleaner does the trick in the gas chamber - but pushing that piston out can be a chore without the right tool. I am using a makeshift assembly for now.

What does the FN piston tool look like?  I just use my .17 caliber Hoppe's air rifle cleaning push rod.  It's the perfect size and works like a charm.  That it only cost $10 at BIG 5 is icing on the cake.    

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:07:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What does the FN piston tool look like?  I just use my .17 caliber Hoppe's air rifle cleaning push rod.  It's the perfect size and works like a charm.  That it only cost $10 at BIG 5 is icing on the cake.    

That's a good question. No one really has seen it because it is a super secret squirrel official FN Navy SEAL Spaceshuttle door gunner tool.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:36:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
[What does the FN piston tool look like?

It is a small plastic clip that attaches to the front of the bolt carrier:

The bolt carrier is then dropped back into the receiver where the piston removal tool pushes the piston out through the front of the gas block:

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:04:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Very cool, I see one of these $300 kits in my future.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:59:44 AM EDT
[#11]
How hard would it be to make a metal version of that piston remover or even a plastic replica?

It'd be perfect for a field cleaning kit.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:12:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Can someone confirm if the military issue Seekonk torque wrench is 3/8 or 1/4 drive?  I believe the 1/4 inch drive is what FN gets.  Which would make the title of this thread incorrect.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 12:14:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Can someone confirm if the military issue Seekonk torque wrench is 3/8 or 1/4 drive?  I believe the 1/4 inch drive is what FN gets.  Which would make the title of this thread incorrect.

I contacted the guy in the Larsen's link above, he measured the ones he had sitting there.  He says they are the 1/4 inch.
Then I called Seekonk, the lady said it's personal preference, but she thinks FN gets the 1/4.
Then I sent a email to Bob at FN, I am waiting for a response.
But so far it looks like you are correct, the military issue Seekonk torque wrench for the Scar is 1/4 inch drive.  Making the title of this thread incorrect.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#14]
For 62 in-lb, 3/8" drive is WAY overkill. 1/4" drive sounds about right for the overpriced tool.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:38:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Just got confirmation from Bob at FN.  They are the 1/4 inch drive.
Final Answer!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top