Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/29/2008 8:45:17 AM EDT
Just got back from my favorite gunstore.
The FN people told me at SHOT '08 that the SCAR-L would be available to civilians in 2008.
Well, it sounds like they are more on track than the Masada/ACR project, but they are being sold to gunstores ONLY if they also buy tons of other FN hardware (like their poorly selling shotguns).  This is a bs sales tactic to say the least, and my gunstore (and likely most others) are not going to be able to risk having dozens of FN bolt guns and scatterguns laying around collecting dust just to sell a few SCARs.
I hope FN gets their heads out of their crap-holes and gets these rifles out to the public ASAP
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 9:05:55 AM EDT
[#1]
That's probably temporary...FN is just taking care of their best customers first...let's face it, they were probably running late anyhow.
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 11:04:00 AM EDT
[#2]
this seems to be the sales tactic they use these days, they certainly did with the PS90 and FS2000's with black colored buttstocks (at first)  I cant figure out if this is a FNH USA thing..or Herstal is making them do it.( im sure the FNH USA guys have caught more than a small share of verbal and email grief over the tactic)  It cheesses of the stores and the consumers both.
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 12:12:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, that tells me that they're already far enough along to be picking distributors. That's a good thing.
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
this seems to be the sales tactic they use these days, they certainly did with the PS90 and FS2000's with black colored buttstocks (at first)  I cant figure out if this is a FNH USA thing..or Herstal is making them do it.( im sure the FNH USA guys have caught more than a small share of verbal and email grief over the tactic)  It cheesses of the stores and the consumers both.

Definitely.  The funshop I'm going through - an FN stocking dealer - already has beaucoup pre-orders (myself included).  I've heard the FN SG is a decent model & I've considered adding one to the collection, along with maybe a SPR A5.  Obviously it's a product-moving tactic, but it puts the dealers in a bad financial position unless they're already able to move that much added volume from their in-stock.
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 12:59:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I got no problem with FN protecting it's loyal dealers, but like everything FN you'll be able to get them from almost anyone.  It's just the stocking dealers will get them sooner and in higher qty's.  

Never shot one of ther shotguns, but I own a few of thier other items and I have to admit thier bolt guns are some of the finest out of the box shooters I've ever owned.
My 24" PPR XP .308 does 1/2" groups at 200 yards with factory loads.  The POS 16" PBR .308 will only do that 1/2" at 100 yards

FN's not the only gun manufacture that runs special priceing & stocking for dealers.
and that pratice isn't limited to the gun industry.  That's life, life is unfair.
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 1:00:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Who is taking preorders for the SCAR?  My local dealers arn't FN dealers so I will need to order one and have it sent here.
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#7]
This isn't anything new, we've known this since Shot.  FN has done this before, what is really troubling is supposedly only 600 Scar Lights will be delivered in November, all of those will be in FDE.  FN has not said yet what the ETA will be for more rifles and in black.  You'll be a lucky man if you can manage to get a early Scar and pay only retail.
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 1:21:36 PM EDT
[#8]
This is typical FN. The same thing happened with the black PS90, the black FS2000, etc. It might take a while but eventually they will be commonly available and sort of reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#9]
A lot of the big guys are doing this now days.  It's becoming a stupid and annoying industry custom.

They know they've got some popular firearms and so they make you take their not so popular firearms. It is total B.S. as far as I'm concerned.

They've got a metric ton of CARs (they changed the name from SCAR to CAR I guess because now they have it in their heads to get a bigger government contract).  They should be able to meet initial demand.

Link Posted: 6/30/2008 2:06:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
This is typical FN. The same thing happened with the black PS90, the black FS2000, etc. It might take a while but eventually they will be commonly available and sort of reasonably priced.

Exactly.  And when the FS2000 Standard first came out.

I don't mind it, that just gives me a better chance of getting the SCAR (and I won't get raped on price either).    It, for the most part, keeps out the price gouging dealers who like to rip off their customers.
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#11]
frickin belgians
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Whatever it takes to get one.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 10:00:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Anybody know the rough retail price?

Max
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 1:58:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Max

Last I heard (May 2008) they did not yet have a civilian price for the SCAR-L.  The official word was that it would be competitive with similiar rifles of the same caliber.  

Rumors have put it at somewhere between $1,600-$1,800,  but those folks could be talking out of theri @$$ so take it for what it's worth, which aint a lot.
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 2:22:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Lots of companies both distributors and manufacturers do programs like this. They use hot new products to encourage you to stok there line.

This is far from new.

The dealers that bought stocking dealer packages will get the first shot at the SCAR rifles.
My guess is that they will then allocate any remaining guns to the distributors that sold the most packages.

After a while they will become common

This is how it works. Makes good sense.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 2:42:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Max

Last I heard (May 2008) they did not yet have a civilian price for the SCAR-L.  The official word was that it would be competitive with similiar rifles of the same caliber.  

Rumors have put it at somewhere between $1,600-$1,800,  but those folks could be talking out of theri @$$ so take it for what it's worth, which aint a lot.

It will be about the same as the FS2000
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 5:01:26 PM EDT
[#17]

+1 This is what I heard too, from an FN rep.
Link Posted: 8/11/2008 11:44:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Who is taking preorders for the SCAR?  My local dealers arn't FN dealers so I will need to order one and have it sent here.

+1

Anyone have any info?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/12/2008 8:58:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

+1 This is what I heard too, from an FN rep.

Yeah, but what does "about the same mean?"

Does it mean as much as an FS2000 goes for now or as much as they went for back when they first came out?

What's "about the same?" Is $200 close to the price "about the same" or $300?

Link Posted: 8/12/2008 9:32:11 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Exactly.  And when the FS2000 Standard first came out.

I don't mind it, that just gives me a better chance of getting the SCAR (and I won't get raped on price either).    It, for the most part, keeps out the price gouging dealers who like to rip off their customers.

Exactly how does this work?  I seem to remember black PS90's and FS2000 going for 3k due to limited availability cause by this marketing practice.
Link Posted: 8/12/2008 10:19:29 PM EDT
[#21]
While I agree that this a bit of a dirty trick for FN to pull on their dealers, it usually means that a lot of dealers will be dumping the other required guns at ridiculous discounts.

When they did this with the PS90 I was able to get some excellent buys on some other guns that the dealer was letting go at or below dealer cost. I've got my eye on a new FNP45 so maybe we'll see the same thing happen again
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 4:03:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Just wait a year and the guns will drop in price and increase in availability.
Link Posted: 8/17/2008 5:35:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Just wait a year and the guns will drop in price and increase in availability.

Link Posted: 8/17/2008 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Don't know if anyone else has seen it, but a dealer that i found online is taking pre-orders and they have the prices as the standard SCAR L being $2000 and the standard SCAR H being $2200, and they're taking pre-orders on both. I don't know if everyones prices will mirror theirs, but i just thought i'd throw it out there.
Link Posted: 8/19/2008 7:31:18 AM EDT
[#25]
I wonder how much the price on the FS2000 will drop when the SCAR hits the market.

Link Posted: 8/19/2008 10:47:01 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Don't know if anyone else has seen it, but a dealer that i found online is taking pre-orders and they have the prices as the standard SCAR L being $2000 and the standard SCAR H being $2200, and they're taking pre-orders on both. I don't know if everyones prices will mirror theirs, but i just thought i'd throw it out there.

That dealer is full of it, no such word has come from FN to its distributors as of price.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2008 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#27]
cdnn out of texas is a dealer of fn,i think they are stuck with their scatterguns & bolts, they might get some scars, & their prices are about the lowest.i got an fs2000 for about 1800 or so, thats when they first came out.
Link Posted: 8/20/2008 6:06:59 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That dealer is full of it, no such word has come from FN to its distributors as of price.  

Same thing i thought when i saw it. I even e-mailed to ask about it, and low and behold, no response.
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Can't get one in your local store, try online or buy one from another store and have them ship it to your FFL. If you want it that badly/soon...you'll have to pay.

I know. SUX!
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 12:34:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
cdnn out of texas is a dealer of fn,i think they are stuck with their scatterguns & bolts, they might get some scars, & their prices are about the lowest.i got an fs2000 for about 1800 or so, thats when they first came out.

CDNN is practically giving away their PBR's. IIRC, you can buy them for $500 if you buy the stock and action separately.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 2:22:51 PM EDT
[#31]
So any other news? I was told Nov. of this year is the release date by an FN rep, yet I haven't heard any news that has credence.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 2:46:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
So any other news? I was told Nov. of this year is the release date by an FN rep, yet I haven't heard any news that has credence.

I had my dealer call FN, as well as his distributer, and they told him absolutely no MSRP has been set in any way, ANYONE WHO SAYS OTHERWISE IS LYING.  

And

It won't be ready for civilian sale until at least the 1st of the year.

I went in last week asking if he would take money on a pre-order at MSRP for the FN SCAR-L and Steyr Aug A3.  He told me he would sell for MSRP, but wouldn't take a pre-order down payment until he had a time line from the manufacturer and distributor.  

He also said that there is no official word on any dates, time lines, prices, or configurations for the Steyr Aug.  He did tell me that the microtech was ready to go .
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had my dealer call FN, as well as his distributer, and they told him absolutely no MSRP has been set in any way, ANYONE WHO SAYS OTHERWISE IS LYING.  

And

It won't be ready for civilian sale until at least the 1st of the year.

I went in last week asking if he would take money on a pre-order at MSRP for the FN SCAR-L and Steyr Aug A3.  He told me he would sell for MSRP, but wouldn't take a pre-order down payment until he had a time line from the manufacturer and distributor.  

He also said that there is no official word on any dates, time lines, prices, or configurations for the Steyr Aug.  He did tell me that the microtech was ready to go .

Well that figures
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#34]
It is a shame. It is like going no where fast. They can take as long as they want. I need some time to earn some extra cash for it.  It looks like a promising rifle.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:54:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Why are they cranking out bolt actions and shotguns?

The hot sellers are semi-auto defensive firearms for Pete's sake.

Fastest growing sales are in subcompact pistols (thanks to increasing numbers of CCW permits/licenses) and semi-automatic defensive rifles.

Stop churning out so many bolt actionsa nd shotguns and devote more your production line to the semi-autos. Then you will not have to force dealers to purchase the bolt actions and shotguns.

Seems pretty simple to me.

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Why are they cranking out bolt actions and shotguns?

The hot sellers are semi-auto defensive firearms for Pete's sake.

Fastest growing sales are in subcompact pistols (thanks to increasing numbers of CCW permits/licenses) and semi-automatic defensive rifles.

Stop churning out so many bolt actionsa nd shotguns and devote more your production line to the semi-autos. Then you will not have to force dealers to purchase the bolt actions and shotguns.

Seems pretty simple to me.

The way I see it is they are obligating dealers to buy them like that they can move sales around their slower selling firearms which are the shotguns and bolt actions. That is just my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 4:11:08 AM EDT
[#37]
You guys love capitalism until it affects your purchases.
Link Posted: 9/20/2008 6:54:25 AM EDT
[#38]
if they let me buy a scar-L,  I will also buy an FNAR, a 2000, a 5-7 pistol, and and a P90 at the same time...  I do not care if I have to take a loan out for it.  Only if they will let me buy a SCAR really really soon.  

So will the FN gods honor it or do I have to give up my first AK as a sacrifice?
Link Posted: 9/20/2008 11:01:09 AM EDT
[#39]
It seems they're waiting for the election results.

If Obama wins, I'd bet we will never see a civilian version at all.

I would like FN to know that I've been saving up for at least one L and H SCAR. But, if they choose to deny me, the money will go to Barrett, not towards some other FN product.

If Obama wins, I'd bet many will quickly spend 150% of what they can afford on available semi-autos, magazines and ammo.
Link Posted: 9/20/2008 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#40]
hehhe

I am going to take out a 5-10k loan to buy weapons if Osama wins.  Sorry if I missspelled his name.

IF SCAR does not come out,  I am also not buying a 5-7 pistol and no FNAR, just to boycott FN.  They can easily sell 50,000 units in the first week at 2k a pop.

The testing has been done,  its a good weapon, they just need to sell it as a semi-auto.
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 6:10:45 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
hehhe

I am going to take out a 5-10k loan to buy weapons if Osama wins.  Sorry if I missspelled his name.

IF SCAR does not come out,  I am also not buying a 5-7 pistol and no FNAR, just to boycott FN.  They can easily sell 50,000 units in the first week at 2k a pop.

The testing has been done,  its a good weapon, they just need to sell it as a semi-auto.

Good luck on finding that loan now that the market blew it's O-ring!
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
hehhe

Good luck on finding that loan now that the market blew it's O-ring!

[Homer]  Doh!!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 2:14:25 PM EDT
[#43]
In any event the real

SCAR
will be on your wallet
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#44]
wait you mean the vapor is condensing into something real?
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 2:08:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Just got back from my favorite gunstore.
The FN people told me at SHOT '08 that the SCAR-L would be available to civilians in 2008.
Well, it sounds like they are more on track than the Masada/ACR project, but they are being sold to gunstores ONLY if they also buy tons of other FN hardware (like their poorly selling shotguns).  This is a bullshit sales tactic to say the least, and my gunstore (and likely most others) are not going to be able to risk having dozens of FN bolt guns and scatterguns laying around collecting dust just to sell a few SCARs.
I hope FN gets their heads out of their crap-holes and gets these rifles out to the public (especially with an election pending).

The FN shotguns are selling (when listed) for about $1,000 to $1,500 on average and the SPRs and PBRs are selling well too. May'be FN isn't popular in your area but online sales look fine from what I've seen in the last 2 years.
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't know how much more info anyone has been able to gather (or even if someon's digging up of an old thread was accidental).

I've pre-ordered my SCAR at $2500...that dealer told me that suggested retail on the SCAR-L is about 2600.  I trust the guys at tanners & don't think they'd lie to customers just to make a sale.

I also emailed Bob Ailes with FNH & he stated that the SCAR-H won't be available until 01/10 (in other words, we may very well never see it)...suggested price on the SCAR-H is (ya better sit down for this one) $3095.00!

looks like i'm going to have to stick with the SCAR-L
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I don't know how much more info anyone has been able to gather (or even if someon's digging up of an old thread was accidental).

I've pre-ordered my SCAR at $2500...that dealer told me that suggested retail on the SCAR-L is about 2600.  I trust the guys at tanners & don't think they'd lie to customers just to make a sale.

I also emailed Bob Ailes with FNH & he stated that the SCAR-H won't be available until 01/10 (in other words, we may very well never see it)...suggested price on the SCAR-H is (ya better sit down for this one) $3095.00!

looks like i'm going to have to stick with the SCAR-L

Damn.

They must still be in limited civilian production. If I remember correctly from reading the sections of the MIL contract online the military production would run for so many years not just one run and bamn all mil orders filled. They probably also are busy running the line for LEO orders as well, after they did a whole tour of the US to various departments promoting the SCAR I'm sure they got some orders and right now I haven't seen any departments with new SCAR rifles (although they could be out there).

If they're not making enough of them than their price is going to be up there and we'll continue to have street value going at MSRP or slightly above for some time.

Kind of hoping they crank out enough SCARs that the crazy frenzy buying of them slows down and price drops.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 3:13:37 PM EDT
[#48]
I was sure hoping to get a L and H but they are too rich for my blood.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 2:58:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Are they going to sell the 10" barrel seperately?  I plan on placing one on a Form 1 for SBR purposes.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Are they going to sell the 10" barrel seperately?  I plan on placing one on a Form 1 for SBR purposes.

I have no idea but they dont on the ps90's so I am doubtful
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top