Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2007 10:04:20 AM EDT
Saudi Arabia just ordered 14,000 FiveSeven pistols for their military. They already had P-90's and had just purchased F-2000's as their main battle rifle.
This news is straight from FN.
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 12:30:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Great there have already been P90s that have shown up in the hands of insurgents in Iraq.  

The middle east is like one big dumping ground for military hardware.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Saudi Arabia just ordered 14,000 FiveSeven pistols for their military. They already had P-90's and had just purchased F-2000's as their main battle rifle.
This news is straight from FN.

FN 5.7's coming to an insurgent near you!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#3]
The Saudis have been known to buy expensive equipment just because they can buy it. It has no bearing on the quality of the equipment or its effectiveness in the field. If it is expensive and looks kind of cool, they will buy it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 8:54:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Great there have already been P90s that have shown up in the hands of insurgents in Iraq.  

The middle east is like one big dumping ground for military hardware.  

Along w/ M4's also,...
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The Saudis have been known to buy expensive equipment just because they can buy it. It has no bearing on the quality of the equipment or its effectiveness in the field. If it is expensive and looks kind of cool, they will buy it.

Has a lot to do with what are called "Commissions."
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 1:15:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Didn't they buy a bunch of Lamborghini SUV's a while ago?

On the bright side, if they are going to buy weapons and funnel them to insurgents, I'm glad they are doing so with a caliber that is not particularly effective.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 5:13:33 AM EDT
[#7]
since they're no danger to you, Mr. studly glock koolaid drinker that no 5.7mm can harm, stay the hell out of our fiveseven threads.

meanwhile, back in the real world, it is a good thing that the terrorists don't generally get inside of a few hundred meters, p90's could ruin our guys days inside 100m.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 5:40:01 AM EDT
[#8]
5.7 will penetrate our guy's vests won't it?

Link Posted: 8/3/2007 5:41:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Yes
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 5:48:40 AM EDT
[#10]
depends on where the hit is.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 12:11:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Only with the right ammo which is regulated in sales. I wonder if FN sold SA that type of ammo

All it takes is an end-user agreement.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 12:15:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

No. Not the plates.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#13]
From what I understand the Fn Range Guys hate it when these Saudi Royal Family members come to tour and test weapons as they tend to have very little in the way of range safety skills and muzzle swipe like crazy.  

I guess people don't tell Royal Oil tycoons that they're acting like idiots with firearms when you're trying to get them to sign a contract worth millions.

I think the whole arms dump in the middle east is a SERIOUS mistake, but these are free companies and they have the right to sell whatever they want as long as it does not violate international law.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:51:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:53:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:57:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. Not the plates.

Doesn't matter- it's a handgun.  It can be employed from point blank range- brought to bear from a concealed condition.

What's your point? It's a handgun. All handguns concealable, wont penetrate plates just soft armor.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 9:27:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 9:49:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Sorry, I disagree.  I am not friends with terrorists, and I am happy that FN is making a big sale.  Good for them.  Saudi has bought lots of gee whiz stuff from FN already, they bought FS2000s and P90s as well, they seem to have a good relationship.  Wouldn't take it as much of an endorsement of the utility of the platform, though, Saudis have lots more money than sense when it comes to weapons buys.

Heck, I would imagine Iraqi insurgents could easily get CZ52s if  they wanted to get into some tactic of popping up and penetrating vests with handguns.  That argument just leads to banning FN pistols in the US for civilians because terrorists might get ahold of them.

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 9:50:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. Not the plates.

Doesn't matter- it's a handgun.  It can be employed from point blank range- brought to bear from a concealed condition.

Kinda irrelevant, since the face isn't covered...........
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. Not the plates.

What's your point? It's a handgun. All handguns concealable, wont penetrate plates just soft armor.

My point is, as a soldier, 9mm handguns never scared me.  An Iraqi could bring one up and pop me, and I'd be killing him- not the other way around.  

This 5.7, I wouldn't want to meet on the street.  The Iraqis know all about our SAPI and SAPI-II plates, and where they are on the vest.  

Suicidal enemy insurgents abound, and these weapons can only encourage them.

Unless you are friends with terrorists, there is no reason to be happy that non-100% anti-terror-compliant governments are procuring level IIIA armor piercing handguns.

Maybe you aren't aware, we don't condone Iraqi (civilian) ownership of handguns.  This is for our protection.  Not theirs.

Statistics exist that suggest half of Saudis entering Iraq are suicide bombers.  That leads me to doubt that none of these weapons will be funneled through supporters of terror, into terrorist hands in Iraq.

My point being, a .22 to the face will kill someone just as dead as a 5.7 to the face and as an american law enforcement officer who wears level 3a everyday(not sapi plates) 5.7AP is more a danger to me than it will be to you..

Be safe soldier, thank you for your service
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#21]
If any of you have ever watched a saudi soldier do anything you would realize how much of a non-issue this is. in between my active hitch and my reserve enlistment i took a contract job traning saudis. i was only there a few months. sorriest bunch of lazy motherfuckers youll ever see. cant shoot, cant run, no discipline. completely fucking worthless.

good for FN. i hope they had a 200% mark-up.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:19:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Will last year's Steyr bashers jump on the anti-FN bandwagon now?

Or will they backpedal and claim that the circumstances are different, since Saudi Arabia is our "ally" and the legions of Saudis in the Iraq insurgency are an "anomaly"?

My guess is the latter.

Frankly, I don't give a shit, just like I never gave a shit about the Steyr sale.

Well, you gotta admit the Saudi government isn't seeking nukes nor developing the capability to shut down the Straits of Hormuz.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 6:50:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 6:57:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 3:01:28 PM EDT
[#25]

becase SA does not buy anything they cannot plate in gold and add ivory "Allah is Great" to.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Just because some gun owners are irresponsible it doesnt mean other potential gun buyers should be treated like criminals.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top