Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2007 5:14:38 PM EDT
No, I'm not asking about it's stopping power... =P

How long do you guys think this cartridge will be available before it goes the way of many of the now-extinct non-mainstream cartridges out there? Is it easy to get reloading components for it?
Link Posted: 8/1/2007 6:37:37 AM EDT
[#1]
easy to get bullets for.  easy to get primers for.  easy to get powder for.  almost everyone but dillon makes reloading dies for it.  as far as I know however, all brass comes from pre-shot Fiocchi ammo.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2007 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#2]
non-mainstream cartridges...get ready for the shitstorm
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#3]
The cartridge and guns to fire them have been around for 18 years, the 5.7x28 is only "new" to private citizens in the U.S....which gives the false impression that they somehow "just" came out 2.5 years ago and will quickly turn into .41 Action Express

The Saudi's as of this week put in a order for 14,000 Five Seven pistols(they allready use the P90 subgun)

you can now even get barrels for your Tompson Center Contender in 5.7x28
and expect to see some really neet additional guns in the caliber in 2008
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
you can now even get barrels for your Tompson Center Contender in 5.7x28
and expect to see some really neet additional guns in the caliber in 2008

That's great. I just wish the ammo dropped in price or more ammo makers would start
manufacturing cartridges in this caliber to help reduce the prices a little. A drop in ammo price and increase in availability will bolster confidence in future consumers.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 5:02:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, thru the FN Forum ( www.fnforum.net/ ), Bud's is selling ammo for $16.99 per box. Last month, itw as even cheaper - $1 cheaper box box, if U bought a case at a time. But, the current price is box per box price.

About as cheap as U are gonna find it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 12:09:31 AM EDT
[#6]
That's a great price, but still $0.34/rd for something that is ballistically limited to 150m-200m. Hunters won't really want to use it for anything larger than javelina, although CMMG has apparently taken a few deer using a Five-seveN pistol.

It uses much less lead, brass, and copper than some of the other cartridges, but costs almost the same as new brass cased .223 Rem. It's supply and demand. FN is the sole source of new 5.7x28mm ammo so we won't see cheap ammo anytime soon.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 10:08:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I wish, I wish, I wish FN would come out with a .22lr P90...

Not that I ever see that happening.

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:49:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Anyone hear of any other ammo makers gearing up to produce 5.7? I can't understand why not! I know that once any one fires anything in 5.7 (pistol, PS90), especially a novice, they burn up all the ammo because it is so easy on the shooter.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:09:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Wolf was supposed to make some and then backed out. I haven't heard of anyone else planning on it...
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 6:21:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I guess there isn't enough demand for other ammo makers to start producing it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, the cases require a special coating - so some companies probably do not want to deal with that. Not sure...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top