Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 6/16/2022 9:16:42 AM EDT
I saw this at the USMC museum in San Diego.  I thought it was interesting as the sear hole had been cut out.

Link Posted: 6/16/2022 9:46:05 AM EDT
[#1]
It seem that could easily be reactivated with a bushing.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 9:51:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah/NO I believe the current way to demill is with 2-3 torch cuts
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#3]
In a Gov't museum, it don't need to be demill'ed, nor meet any ATF destruction requirements.  What your seeing is a local commands requirement for museum display.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:00:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I also wonder if at one time it was handed to a law enforcement department and that allowed it to function without have FA.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 3:21:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 18B30:
In a Gov't museum, it don't need to be demill'ed, nor meet any ATF destruction requirements.  What your seeing is a local command's requirement for museum display.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
In a Gov't museum, it don't need to be demill'ed, nor meet any ATF destruction requirements.  What your seeing is a local command's requirement for museum display.
I concur.

Originally Posted By Banditman:
I also wonder if at one time it was handed to a law enforcement department and that allowed it to function without have FA.
I highly doubt it. I've seen many (several agencies' worth) LE modified (semi-auto) M16 receivers and normally they'll pull the autosear assembly and swap in semi-auto FCG parts. Never seen it done as shown because that's illogical and would require cutting.

I mod them for my agency, and I leave the autosear in place and just swap the selector for a semi-auto safety.

Initially, I was removing autosears, but I got tired of having to locate one if an officer gets added to our SWAT team (and therefore authorized to use select-fire weapons). Now I just have a bag of selectors hanging out in the armory.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 4:15:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
I concur.

I highly doubt it. I've seen many (several agencies' worth) LE modified (semi-auto) M16 receivers and normally they'll pull the autosear assembly and swap in semi-auto FCG parts. Never seen it done as shown because that's illogical and would require cutting.

I mod them for my agency, and I leave the autosear in place and just swap the selector for a semi-auto safety.

Initially, I was removing autosears, but I got tired of having to locate one if an officer gets added to our SWAT team (and therefore authorized to use select-fire weapons). Now I just have a bag of selectors hanging out in the armory.
View All Quotes
I concur.

That square cut could allow for a modified "drop in" sear.

Anything wrong with having a square cut like that? the upper would hold it in place
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 4:26:07 PM EDT
[#7]
That square cut could allow for a modified "drop in" sear.

Anything wrong with having a square cut like that? the upper would hold it in place
View Quote
Yeah that'd work if you want to fabricate a weird drop-in sear, but why?

That receiver is a MG no matter what (per US federal law) unless it undergoes DEMIL.

The current US gov DEMIL standard is to torch cut in 3 sections, with the center section destroyed (or mutilated to the point of scrap).
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 4:54:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Banditman] [#8]
Yeah that'd work if you want to fabricate a weird drop-in sear, but why?

That receiver is a MG no matter what (per US federal law) unless it undergoes DEMIL.

The current US gov DEMIL standard is to torch cut in 3 sections, with the center section destroyed (or mutilated to the point of scrap).
View Quote

I was speaking hypothetically about the legality of having a square cut like that in a non NFA AR.

Scroll halfway down the page on this site

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/06/29/m-a-c-s-rifles-snes-laser-m16s/

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 5:06:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#9]
I was speaking hypothetically about the legality of having a square cut like that in a non NFA AR.
View All Quotes
Idk if it would be legal or not to make that cut in a semi-auto AR receiver.

I know it won't turn a MG (M16) receiver into a Title I (GCA) firearm.

Interesting. I suspect you've found the connection indicating why the square cut is present.

Clearly they didn't want any troops to re-install automatic sears in those receivers.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#10]
In a Gov't museum, it don't need to be demill'ed, nor meet any ATF destruction requirements.  What your seeing is a local commands requirement for museum display.
View Quote

THIS
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:05:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks like it is marked A2 but has buffer tube strengthening without the front pivot pin strengthening?  Am I just seeing it wrong?  I have seen guns marked A2 without the strengthening in either location, but don't think I have seen it done halfway before.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:20:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Should be allowed to convert an M16 to semi like this and sell commercially. Vollmer v ATF case set the precedent. Unfortunately ATF just ignores it and continues with their bullshit mantra of “once a machinegun, always a machinegun”.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:50:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:
Should be allowed to convert an M16 to semi like this and sell commercially. Vollmer v ATF case set the precedent. Unfortunately ATF just ignores it and continues with their bullshit mantra of “once a machinegun, always a machinegun”.
View Quote

It would be very easy to convert back. A couple of square bushings with a small lip on one side, sear and pin with c clip cuts on each end that is long enough to protrude just enough to allow c clips to be installed on each side. Or a pin with head on one side and clip grove on other. The upper would keep it in place.

No machining to receiver needed.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 7:32:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#14]

It would be very easy to convert back. A couple of square bushings with a small lip on one side, sear and pin with c clip cuts on each end that is long enough to protrude just enough to allow c clips to be installed on each side. Or a pin with head on one side and clip grove on other. The upper would keep it in place.

No machining to receiver needed.
View Quote

It’s already extremely easy to convert most any AR to FA. Lots of semi receivers are M16 spec in the FCG pocket. An auto sear pin hole jig and a drill and you’re done. Or in others, a Swift Link can be 3D printed or made from a coat hanger.

I think restoring FA function in a lower that has been modified like the one in question would be harder than the above scenarios.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top