Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 4/24/2022 8:55:13 PM EDT
I have a RDIAS that I bought to use in several (8) Retro configured build AR rifles

The lowers have all been painted Colt Gray moly resin, not anodized.

My concern is... to avoid legal problems I remove all M16 parts from the lowers unless the RDIAS is installed. When I decide to shoot one of the rifles with the RDIAS I install the needed parts.

Since the lowers are painted instead of anodized I'm somewhat concerned about pin-hole wear from the continual removal and installation of the FCG pins.

Any suggestion, comments, experience etc welcome  TIA
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 9:10:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had a RDIAS for going on 30 years and never had any issues with the pin holes wearing by taking the pins in/out or from firing the weapon. I've lost count of how many rounds fired during this time and field strip, including taking the fire control group out, after every outing. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe buy some spare lowers if it really bugs ya but I wouldn't sweat it.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Couldn't you theoretically just remove the 3 position selector and install a semi one?  Then you aren't really messing with the FCG.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 10:06:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By brodband8:
Couldn't you theoretically just remove the 3 position selector and install a semi one?  Then you aren't really messing with the FCG.
View Quote
Sure; that's what I do at work with the surplus M16 lowers (+ removing the GI autosear). Quick and easy. Those are of course technically MGs at all times however.

I think you'd be fine with swapping only the selector/safety since that mechanically prevents disabling the disconnector. That's how the normal semi-auto trigger groups function. Also nobody can tell from the outside that it has any extra protrusions in there.

I don't worry about it with my DIAS though
just leave the SSF or GI parts right where they are.

Not technically kosher but it hasn't been an issue thus far.

I've never heard of ATF (or any agency) making trouble for a RDIAS owner about it.

Do I think your attorney would advise you to behave that way?

No. No I do not.
So as always, YMMV

Do what's best for you.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#4]
You could simplify your life if you buy a modular F/A FCG so you can drop it in any receiver quickly. It won't be as nice as a Geissele SSF, but it would be better than a milspec one.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 11:33:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Ryo:
You could simplify your life if you buy a modular F/A FCG so you can drop it in any receiver quickly. It won't be as nice as a Geissele SSF, but it would be better than a milspec one.
View Quote

Didn’t know they made such a thing got a link?
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 11:44:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, link please
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:05:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Are you guys talking about something like this?
https://pof-usa.com/product/full-auto-drop-in-trigger/
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 4:30:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, that's it thank you for posting that link. I ordered one this morning.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 3:30:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryo] [#9]
Yes sir.. something like that. However don't know how good of a trigger it is.

Once you guys try it, I'd love know how you guys like it compared to other triggers you tried.

There is a guy on YouTube ranting about being able putting the safety on the POF F/A trigger when the hammer is up. He rants it is a safety issue.. Not sure what the issue is if you turn on the safety when the hammer is already in the fired position.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 4:00:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#10]
However don't know how good of a trigger it is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
However don't know how good of a trigger it is.
Yeah me neither. If someone would fit the SSF into a cassette, we'd be all set.

There is a guy on YouTube ranting about being able putting the safety on the POF F/A trigger when the hammer is up. He rants it is a safety issue.. Not sure what the issue is if you turn on the safety when the hammer is already in the fired position.
Most European guns are like that (able to go on safe with the hammer down) but in the US it's never been considered important. Of the long guns that can do it, I'm not aware of any which cannot be cocked while on safe (except the SPAS-12, which will break if you try it).

If you want your AR on safe, just ensure the hammer is cocked first. It's no big deal to me, personally.

HK416/MR556 will do it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:07:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jhoffman] [#11]
[b] QUOTE:

I watched that YouTube video... Am I missing something; his issue is that the safety can be applied when the hammer is down?  I realize that the safety lever normally cannot be applied when the hammer is down, so what? What is the safety issue he is talking about?
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 11:18:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By jhoffman:
[b] QUOTE:

I watched that YouTube video... Am I missing something; his issue is that the safety can be applied when the hammer is down?  I realize that the safety lever normally cannot be applied when the hammer is down, so what? What is the safety issue he is talking about?
View Quote

That's why I say he is ranting.. There is no issue unless it can fire or damage internal components. It does not sound like it would do either.
Noticed he turned off comments.. He knows he will be blasted with negative comments.

I suppose he might be a tactical operator that needs to run blindfolded.. Guess needs that feature to know his firearm is charged and ready to rock & roll.  LOL
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Another drop in select-fire unit

https://geissele.com/super-select-fire-sopmod-ssfr-trigger.html
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:57:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryo] [#14]
Originally Posted By jhoffman:
Another drop in select-fire unit

https://geissele.com/super-select-fire-sopmod-ssfr-trigger.html
View Quote

That is the SSF trigger we are talking about.. It is the gold standard of triggers.

However it is not a "drop in" trigger. You have to install the trigger and the hammer separately.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 8:34:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the info...

FYI
I got the POF FA trigger assy today and installed it in one of my ARs. Since the rant video, they must have updated the design to function correctly because the safety can not be selected with the hammer down.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 11:28:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Yup.. I heard they fixed it.

So how do you like it? I'm thinking of picking up one.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 10:56:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Yup.. I heard they fixed it.

So how do you like it? I'm thinking of picking up one.
View Quote

I like it, works well.
I like the fact that I can easily remove it as a unit when I remove my DIAS, keeping "those parts" out of the receiver.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a rLL.  

I’m of the mindset, don’t start trouble so there won’t be trouble.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top