Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 12/5/2021 9:30:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Strela]
I've been looking for a fluted, CL HB, either 18" or 20". Preferably 1/7 but 1/9 would be acceptable. 5.56 chamber or .223 Wylde.

The only thing I've found matching those specs is a Del-Ton, but it's 4140 instead of 4150. I know 4150 is the better choice, but it wouldn't be for barrel/gas tube melting mag dumps, just 3-4 shot bursts at a reasonable ROF. No sustained fire.

Original Colt LMG or IAR uppers are out due to cost and I don't want to mess with an adapter pin for my SP1 lower. I have uppers, rails, etc., just need a barrel.

So, if the Del-Ton bbl is a hard no, what else meets my wants or at least would serve well in the role?

ETA:

Ended up with a Windham 16" HBAR "Dissipator"-style carbine gas. Decided I don't really need a longer barrel. I have a mid-length ARMS rail to cover the gas block. I'll use my old "carry handle conversion" chopped SP1 upper.

https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/product/ba16hbd/
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:54:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got two uppers with these barrels, but they're out of stock right now.
https://aimsurplus.com/aimsurplus-223-5-56-qpq-18in-spr-rifle-length-ar-barrel-w-gas-block/
Rare Breed FRT-15 Forced Reset Trigger

Link Posted: 12/6/2021 2:21:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Looked at those, but really want CL as opposed to nitride. Also would still like to find fluted HB, but am open to considering all options. I'm in no rush.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 4:14:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm putting together the same thing...

I found an old Bushmaster 20" HBAR upper on GB. Chrome lined 1:9 twist. Pretty sure it's 4150.

Assembling on an Aero M4E1 upper with Spike's BAR2 rail and JP Thermal Dissipator.

I got some copper anti-seize to coat the barrel underneath the heat sink because copper has high thermal conductivity and it was cost-effective in a big 1 pound jar.

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:58:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
I'm putting together the same thing...

I found an old Bushmaster 20" HBAR upper on GB. Chrome lined 1:9 twist. Pretty sure it's 4150.

Assembling on an Aero M4E1 upper with Spike's BAR2 rail and JP Thermal Dissipator.

I got some copper anti-seize to coat the barrel underneath the heat sink because copper has high thermal conductivity and it was cost-effective in a big 1 pound jar.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-scmrv6kkrz/images/stencil/original/products/197304/171881/loctite-c5-a-copper-based-anti-seize-lubricant-cha05__64277.1568390574.jpg?c=2
View Quote

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 1:10:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GySgt_D] [#6]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 1:12:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GySgt_D] [#7]
I've been considering this one for the same purpose-

AR-Stoner 4150 Nitrided 20" $189; currently in-stock

(the hot link was Brownelled...)

Haven't been successful finding a chrome-lined version.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 10:02:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is my wife running 500 rounds with one pull.
https://youtu.be/RFcxuOzsoXA
I used a Bushmaster 20" heavy fluted chrome lined barrel in an A2 upper that I bought here on the  EE. I used 1,200 degree silver soder to seal the gas tube into the FSB. I had to open up the the gas port in the barrel by two numbered drill bit sizes because the water cooled the gas, reducing the volume enough  that the gun short stroked. Originally I used the upper with five Beta-C drums. I got the upper modified when I bought a Valkyrie Armaments belt fed conversion. The water jacket was around 90 degrees Fahrenheit after the 500 rounds. Water cooling is the best for sustained fire. Probably more than you want to spend but I thought you might like to see what is possible.

Scott
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By canon3825:
I used a Bushmaster 20" heavy fluted chrome lined barrel in an A2 upper that I bought here on the  EE. I used 1,200 degree silver soder to seal the gas tube into the FSB. I had to open up the the gas port in the barrel by two numbered drill bit sizes because the water cooled the gas, reducing the volume enough  that the gun short stroked. Originally I used the upper with five Beta-C drums. I got the upper modified when I bought a Valkyrie Armaments belt fed conversion. The water jacket was around 90 degrees Fahrenheit after the 500 rounds. Water cooling is the best for sustained fire. Probably more than you want to spend but I thought you might like to see what is possible.

Scott
View Quote
Very nice!
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:14:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Scott
View Quote

Yes, a little more than I'd like to do, but that is very cool.

Thanks for posting that.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:15:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rssc] [#11]
This really interests me. I bought a Delton upper for this purpose. What is the best and most reliable gas system/tube for this? I think I bought a heavy duty gas tube off of Brownells. Not sure if it will make any difference at all.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:22:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link to the gas tube you bought?

Initially I wanted to go with V Seven's inconel gas tube, but it's too thick to fit in the Aero M4E1 upper so I got Aero's melonited rifle gas tube instead.

Rifle-length gas system is definitely the way to go, both for the gentler operating cycle and the lower temperature of the gas delivered into the BCG.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 1:12:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rssc] [#13]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
Link to the gas tube you bought?

Initially I wanted to go with V Seven's inconel gas tube, but it's too thick to fit in the Aero M4E1 upper so I got Aero's melonited rifle gas tube instead.

Rifle-length gas system is definitely the way to go, both for the gentler operating cycle and the lower temperature of the gas delivered into the BCG.
View Quote

I don't recall (it's been a while). I put the project on the back burner hoping that someone would come out with handguards that are reasonably close and also when ammo went nuts in price. I will dig back through my parts and see if I can find the gas tube.

I also found this relatively recent thread with a member that expressed some interest in producing a reproduction.

Colt LMG Clone

It appears that there is a 3d printable file for the LMG handguards. Getting those is really the key. They have such a distinctive look.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I had these printed up from, my model, for a customer today. I also generated a drawing of the liners for him from my originals. They came out very good I think.

Link Posted: 7/14/2022 6:49:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks good!
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#16]
While they do look good, how would they ever stand up to the heat from the barrel? I am not that familiar with the hand guards from a Colt LMG, but I would imagine that they are made from the black fiberglass material and an aluminum heat shield. I did have a DOE clone upper made by Garrison Manufacturing,  back in the day. I used a Colt 16" complete upper with Garrison hand guard cap and front sight. It took me a while but I found a set of mint condition M231/DOE Colt hand guards. I have seen pictures of the Repro Durin hand guards that got warm and deformed. I would think that the LMG upper barrel would get even warmer than a 9mm barrel. So how well would printed  hand guards without a heat shield hold up? I don't know, I am asking. Good luck with the project.

Scott
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 12:23:55 AM EDT
[#17]
While they do look good, how would they ever stand up to the heat from the barrel? I am not that familiar with the hand guards from a Colt LMG, but I would imagine that they are made from the black fiberglass material and an aluminum heat shield. I did have a DOE clone upper made by Garrison Manufacturing,  back in the day. I used a Colt 16" complete upper with Garrison hand guard cap and front sight. It took me a while but I found a set of mint condition M231/DOE Colt hand guards. I have seen pictures of the Repro Durin hand guards that got warm and deformed. I would think that the LMG upper barrel would get even warmer than a 9mm barrel. So how well would printed  hand guards without a heat shield hold up? I don't know, I am asking. Good luck with the project.

Scott
View Quote
They are made to be used with heat shields. I include a drawing of the heat shields so they can be made and inserted into them. They are fairly easy to make compared to any other heat shields I have seen.

Otherwise I'm not sure.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top